Author Topic: The ATF Pistol Brace Rule  (Read 21208 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The ATF Pistol Brace Rule
« Reply #225 on: June 22, 2023, 09:09:55 PM »
So HJ44, to halt the pistol rule and which (barely) passed in the house, failed in the senate, 49-51. The dems they were hoping to get, Manchin and Tester, stuck with their party instead. If only one of them had crossed the aisle, Harris would have kiboshed it, so they needed both but got neither.

Of course we all know, and Brandon had made it clear, that he would veto it anyway, but I think we can forget about stuff like this going through congress regardless of who is president. It's gonna be lawsuits and court rulings. Lawmakers are worthless.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #226 on: June 22, 2023, 09:31:40 PM »
Lawmakers are worthless.

Quoted for truth.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2023, 09:37:37 PM »
It better not make it a caliber I don't already load for.

You load 16" Mk 8s?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2023, 09:59:48 PM »
So HJ44, to halt the pistol rule and which (barely) passed in the house, failed in the senate, 49-51. The dems they were hoping to get, Manchin and Tester, stuck with their party instead. If only one of them had crossed the aisle, Harris would have kiboshed it, so they needed both but got neither.

Of course we all know, and Brandon had made it clear, that he would veto it anyway, but I think we can forget about stuff like this going through congress regardless of who is president. It's gonna be lawsuits and court rulings. Lawmakers are worthless.

It failed 49-50. Sen Coons was absent due to "precautionary medical tests".

bob

HankB

• friend
« Reply #229 on: June 23, 2023, 09:29:57 AM »
I really don't know why some GOP members consider Manchin the next best thing to sliced bread - once in a while he votes for what's good for America, but more often than not, he doesn't.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: June 23, 2023, 10:16:42 AM »
I really don't know why some GOP members consider Manchin the next best thing to sliced bread - once in a while he votes for what's good for America, but more often than not, he doesn't.
The fact that he isn't 100% in party lockstep and sometimes is willing to break ranks for his constituents is notable and laudable.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #231 on: June 23, 2023, 10:32:34 AM »
He sometimes sides with the people who voted for him.  That's damning with faint praise.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #232 on: June 23, 2023, 01:14:42 PM »
I'm sure the .06% of brace owners that apparently care about this rule are upset by this vote.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #233 on: June 23, 2023, 08:09:55 PM »
I'm sure the .06% of brace owners that apparently care about this rule are upset by this vote.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #234 on: July 02, 2023, 08:53:31 AM »
If I'm understanding this right basically the NRA tried to jump in late probably so that they could take credit. Judge slapped them down.

Federal Judge Denies NRA From Intervening In ATF Pistol Brace Lawsuit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wT4eRRAOOo
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #235 on: July 02, 2023, 11:06:22 AM »
It's the NRA, so they were probably trying to file on the ATF's side.  No one has ever seen a wood pistol brace.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #236 on: July 02, 2023, 01:38:03 PM »
What I heard is they were jumping in trying to get an injunction to apply to all NRA members.  It sounded to me like the judge told them "too little, too late" and denied it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: August 24, 2023, 10:00:50 AM »
For the reason I am making an SBR, I initially typed in "Forced to because of arbitrary and capricious rulings on the part of the ATF" but remembered I'm supposed to say "All lawful purposes".
Got the first approval for my AR9. Still waiting on my other one.

Guess I get to buy some real stocks now.

Kind of surprised they took the fingerprints that I rolled myself.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #238 on: August 24, 2023, 10:57:32 AM »
That's a long time for a eForm 1.  I wonder what the "normal" thruput is and if that 250,000 was a significant dump of forms for them.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: August 24, 2023, 01:49:30 PM »
That's a long time for a eForm 1.  I wonder what the "normal" thruput is and if that 250,000 was a significant dump of forms for them.
I submitted it at the last possible moment, so I am probably one of the last ones to get mine looked at.

Also my first eForm.  My last paper suppressor transfer was around 12 months so I was quite happy. 

Dogmush, do you have an SBR stock you like?  I'm mostly into Magpul CTRs for my AR stocks but I'm open to other options since I'm sure there is some new hotness I haven't kept up with.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #240 on: August 24, 2023, 02:02:00 PM »
I like the Magpul SL series.  I think the lock is a good improvement over the CTR double lever setup and mine are tight enough I don't miss the friction lock at all.  For an SBR, I lean towards the SL-K or SL-M as they are a little shorter and smaller it's just annoying you have to buy an adapter if you want a QD cup.

I have a Viltor EMOD on my MK12 which is a really nice stock, but it reminds me that it's pretty hard for the fancy $100 stocks to be twice as good as a $45 Magpul.

I have seen and shouldered, but not shot yet, the newish Reptilia RECC-E and it is really cool, light and comfortable.  You might look at that if you want to spend some money.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #241 on: August 24, 2023, 03:21:49 PM »
As an FYI on approval times, I just got a suppressor stamp in 8 months or so.  Mid-January to early August.  Got an email with the attached paperwork from the eforms website.  No paper with the actual stamp. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #242 on: August 24, 2023, 04:34:39 PM »
As an FYI on approval times, I just got a suppressor stamp in 8 months or so.  Mid-January to early August.  Got an email with the attached paperwork from the eforms website.  No paper with the actual stamp.

Yeah eForm 4's are still running 8-10 months.  I had been getting my eForm1's in 14-30 days as recently as last march.  I haven't dropped one since this whole pistol brace rodeo started, but 3 months used to be a long time for eForm 1's

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #243 on: August 25, 2023, 03:25:28 PM »
What's the expected turn around of which-ever form for a suppressor using an outfit like Silencer Shop?

I'm still considering picking one up for my Ruger American Rimfire.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #244 on: August 25, 2023, 03:34:41 PM »
What's the expected turn around of which-ever form for a suppressor using an outfit like Silencer Shop?

From what I've seen most are around eight months.

But the sooner you start the timer, the sooner you'll get through it.  You definitely need one.  If you never buy another suppressor, you at least need a decent one for .22LR.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #245 on: August 25, 2023, 04:16:50 PM »

In the last two years, all individual....

My Sandman (last paper Form 4 I did) took right at 14 months.
The Nomad took 9 months (Jun14 22-Mar 9-23)
The RC2 took 7.5 months (Sep 2 22- Apr 14 23)
The 3 I dropped in Jun this year are obviously still pending

The Official ATF Eform4-Indv wait time is 190 days, while Silencer Shop's tracking of their kiosks say 8 days to 8 months, with 6 months being the median.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #246 on: August 26, 2023, 01:50:20 PM »
Oh, I totally forgot, I also dropped a Form 4 on a Rugged Razor on Feb 23 2023.  That one's at 184 days and counting, so it should be coming out pretty soon.

Yes, I have a problem.  I have a problem with loud guns. :cool:

And the Rugged came back yesterday, so 189 days.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 08:15:23 AM by dogmush »

Pb

• friend
« Reply #247 on: August 26, 2023, 01:56:28 PM »

Just get it.  You won't regret it.  The sooner you order the sooner it will arrive.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #248 on: August 31, 2023, 07:49:57 AM »
Still waiting on one SBR approval despite both being filed the same evening.  I put an SL-K on the one that was approved (thanks dogmush).

HankB

• friend
« Reply #249 on: August 31, 2023, 09:09:58 AM »
The fact that he isn't 100% in party lockstep and sometimes is willing to break ranks for his constituents is notable and laudable.
I could say much the same about a broken clock because it's right twice a day.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain