Author Topic: Protest & Response - Getting Sporty in Austin, TX  (Read 2678 times)

HankB

• friend
Protest & Response - Getting Sporty in Austin, TX
« on: July 27, 2020, 05:50:33 PM »
Car encounters protestors in Austin, TX, peacefully blocking a street. Horn honked, car encounters a barricade and stops. Armed protestor approaches car and is shot dead. Car leaves, another protestor shoots at departing car. Police question & release both shooters. More investigation pending.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200725/austin-protest-shooting-victim-remembered-for-devotion-to-fianceacutee-racial-justice

Crappy video of protest during shooting: https://www.facebook.com/ImHiram/videos/295346775139805/?t=9328
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Protest & Response - Getting Sporty in Austin, TX
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 06:17:46 PM »
regardless of the facts I suspect the the driver/shooter will be prosecuted persecuted the fullest extent of the law mob justice and will likely serve a lenghty jail sentence.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 07:38:58 PM »
They (all of 'em) are really laying it on thick in support of the Peaceful Protester®.  If he *really* cared about his disabled fiancee so much, he wouldn't have got himself shot by using an AK to threatened some rando in a car.

IMHO, they should not even be calling him the victim.  The neutral word (because the investigation is barely started at this point) is "deceased".
"It's good, though..."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 08:27:36 PM »
If I'm stopped illegally by an armed mob I will assume they are attempting carjacking or Reginald Denny and I will act thusly.

I believe this to be a reasonable and logical position with historical basis.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 08:41:07 PM »
If I'm stopped illegally by an armed mob I will assume they are attempting carjacking or Reginald Denny and I will act thusly.

I believe this to be a reasonable and logical position with historical basis.

And it's getting more reasonable by the day.

Given the location, I could see this paralleling the case in the St. Louis - the locals will be out for blood, but the state government steps in and shuts it down.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 10:33:07 PM »
What do you call one dead retard "protester"  in Austin?

A good start.

For all of their big talk,  this is what real looks like.  *expletive deleted*ck around and find out.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 11:28:44 AM »
It's showing up on Facebook that this selfless protestor was pushing his disabled wife in her wheelchair when he was wantonly and randomly executed by the driver of the SUV, who then fled the scene...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 11:47:34 AM »
It's showing up on Facebook that this selfless protestor was pushing his disabled wife in her wheelchair when he was wantonly and randomly executed by the driver of the SUV, who then fled the scene...

That's only a slight exaggeration of the main stream media reports.  I can see how they'd get there from what's being reported, even w/o being Facebook idiots.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 12:00:19 PM »

Don't believe your lying eyes!

Right up there with Zimmerman chased down little 8 year old Martin and shot him in the back.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 12:18:41 PM »
I am told you can see in one or two videos that the AK guy did in fact point his rifle at the guy in the car.  I haven't seen that.

And if you haven't seen it elsewhere, the guy fled the area and called 911 like most people would. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 02:38:29 PM »
I am told you can see in one or two videos that the AK guy did in fact point his rifle at the guy in the car.  I haven't seen that.

And if you haven't seen it elsewhere, the guy fled the area and called 911 like most people would. 
There's a blurry video that appears to show him bringing it up, but in the still I've seen it looks to me more like low ready.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 02:42:53 PM »
Tony Heller did and audio analysis on the video. The first 5 shots were Louder and lower pitch, from a rifle. The 3 following shots were not as loud, and higher pitch, from a pistol.

Of course, Youtube took it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWarhdskkHk
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 02:54:34 PM »
Tony Heller did and audio analysis on the video. The first 5 shots were Louder and lower pitch, from a rifle. The 3 following shots were not as loud, and higher pitch, from a pistol.

Of course, Youtube took it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWarhdskkHk

Could the first 5 shots been from a louder pistol?  That would match the story that there were two shooters with handguns, the driver, and someone who shot at him as he drove away.   (I neither believe nor disbelieve the story)
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 03:11:40 PM »
Could the first 5 shots been from a louder pistol?  That would match the story that there were two shooters with handguns, the driver, and someone who shot at him as he drove away.   (I neither believe nor disbelieve the story)
I hadn't heard about the 2nd pistol shooter until today, but that does make some sense.  Also pretty stupid to start shooting when he is driving away. 

Is low ready enough to earn shots?  In isolation where nothing else was happening, probably not.  Doing that while part of a mob of other people who are surrounding this guy's vehicle?  That changes things IMO.  It ties him to the actions of those around him.  I really don't know how the courts would look on that issue.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 03:28:52 PM »
Is low ready enough to earn shots? 
Note that the still frame shown is - as far as I can tell - just the clearest view in a hectic recording, not the instant before shots are fired.  The gun may well have been brought up from there.

I'm curious who yelled out "back up" before shots were fired.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2020, 08:31:53 PM »
Someone I know a little on facebook posted this.  He is from up North and I think did not know about it.  He is a liberal, but didn't comment on it other than to ask why it happened.  Pretty biased description.  Makes it look like a drive by shooting.  Passed on a link and basic description of events. 

Garrett Foster was murdered in downtown Austin, Texas, last night while pushing his wife, Whitney, a quadriplegic, in her wheelchair along Congress Avenue in a Black Lives Matter march. A car came from a side street into the crowd, the driver fired at least 10 shots into the crowd, and sped away.
Garrett & Whitney had attended the downtown marches every night for the past several weeks, they were well-known and loved. Peace to their families.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 08:38:58 PM »
Well, we know he wasn't a leg man.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 08:40:45 PM »
I just find it odd that he was there with his girlfriend and let himself be caught up with the other protestors/rioters.  Sounds like he didn't think about the consequences of bringing a rifle into a situation like that.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 09:57:43 PM »
Garrett Foster was murdered in downtown Austin, Texas, last night while pushing his wife, Whitney, a quadriplegic, in her wheelchair along Congress Avenue in a Black Lives Matter march. A car came from a side street into the crowd, the driver fired at least 10 shots into the crowd, and sped away.
Garrett & Whitney had attended the downtown marches every night for the past several weeks, they were well-known and loved. Peace to their families.

Are they trying to gaslight us here?  Everything I read has been about a girlfriend or fiance.  Now he's been posthumously promoted to Husband?

What uniform is that?  Guard?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2020, 05:16:34 AM »
There's also a distinct lack of "woman in wheelchair" in the pictures of him mobbing a car with an AK, so it would seem "shot while pushing his girlfriend " is a lie as well.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2020, 07:21:04 AM »
"Are they trying to gaslight us here?  Everything I read has been about a girlfriend or fiance.  Now he's been posthumously promoted to Husband?"

Why not? He's being promoted to selfless martyr who was criminally gunned down while taking cookies to orphans and holy water to nuns...

Why not go a little farther. At least they haven't promoted him to father of 6 disadvantaged yoots yet.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2020, 09:50:20 AM »
If you look around at the related twitter posts on some of the video links on this story you can see people posting all sorts of nonsense, mostly in the first 24 hours of the event. 

People have a tendency to believe the first things they hear which sets up their opinion of events and are reluctant to change once the facts come out.  We have seen that before.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2020, 10:55:46 AM »

The internet is over. This man has won.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2020, 11:53:42 AM »

A number of years ago had a trucker drop off a laptop that wasn't turning on . After getting it to power up I was confronted with his windows background of a legless naked woman.  After getting over my initial shock I noticed folders on the desktop filled with thousands of photos of naked women missing limbs.
Wonder if they're any related?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 12:45:04 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2020, 03:54:31 PM »
Just listened to two of my coworkers talking about the incident.

Jesus wept, what people don't know about guns...  :facepalm: