Author Topic: New TX rights group: Lone Star Citizens Defense League  (Read 6827 times)

Cliffh

• friend
New TX rights group: Lone Star Citizens Defense League
« on: November 21, 2010, 06:21:12 PM »
During a weeks-long discussion this past summer, a group of patriotic Texans decided that it was past time for an organization that will fight for the rights of Texans.  Since then we have dotted the "i"s and crossed the "t"s to become the Lone Star Citizens Defense League.  We have been in touch with our counterparts in the AZ Citizens Defense League, TX attorneys and TX legislators in order to be ready for the next legislative session.

Lone Star CDL believes that the emphasis of laws should be on criminal activity and that law-abiding citizens should not be burdened by unnecessary laws or regulations. Towards that end, we are pursuing the following legislative improvements:

•Education
◦One of our main goals is to educate the citizens of Texas on their rights and restrictions under state law. The great State of Texas does have many fair and just laws, but there are also many laws that severely restrict the freedoms and rights of the citizens. We will educate as many citizens as possible, with the goal of gaining support to have these restrictions eradicated.

•Legislation
◦We will fight for the rights of the citizens of Texas. With your support, we will be able to work with the State Legislature to have the existing laws amended or revoked in order to restore the freedoms lost by these unjust laws.

•Criminality
◦We believe that some of the currently allowed criminal penalties are too lenient; we will fight to have more stringent penalties for those who choose to break the law. As it stands now, a criminal may receive a 10 year sentence but be released in as little as 2 years. We find this unacceptable and ineffective. If a person chooses to break a law, that person should serve the entire length of the sentence.

We are not advocates for violence and expect the same from our members.  The paragraph below is from our membership application page:

“I hereby apply for membership in the Lone Star Citizens Defense League.  I certify that I support the Constitution and the Bill of Rights of the United States of America and the State of Texas.  I am not a member of any organization or group which has as any part of its program the attempt to overthrow the Government of the United States or any of its political subdivisions by force or violence.”

WWW.LONESTARCDL.ORG

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: New TX rights group: Lone Star Citizens Defense League
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 06:47:47 AM »
Oh heck yes!

Nothing against all the other 2a-positive organizations in Texas.

But these folks have been talking with VCDL www.vcdl.org for some time now.  Like folks in other states who did not see the coalition of sports/hunter/collector groups as being effective, they decided to focus on grass-roots legislative/educational activity.

Good luck to you.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 07:55:23 AM »
I plan to check this group out....I haven't been all that impressed with the Texas State Rifle Association....far too lethargic in pushing for legislation lately....too deep in Perry's hip pocket...and I have an issue or two with TSRA's head man....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 10:01:57 AM »
I plan to check this group out....I haven't been all that impressed with the Texas State Rifle Association....far too lethargic in pushing for legislation lately....too deep in Perry's hip pocket...and I have an issue or two with TSRA's head man....
What do you mean by lethargic?  You know the legislature only convenes every two years?

Actually, with more Republicans in both houses, that might free things up a bit this session. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 11:26:14 PM »

I'd be glad to address any questions you may have. 

Our goal for this session will be an easing of the current gun regulations, specifically seeking Constitutional Carry such as AZ has recently implemented.  We do not want to see the current CHL program abolished, there are reasons why an individual may want to have a CHL card.

We're not going to concentrate only on gun laws.  Future plans include easing of the knife laws, harsher criminal laws, etc.  Basically anything that restricts the freedom of the people.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 11:30:55 PM »
What do you mean by lethargic?  You know the legislature only convenes every two years?

Yep....and TSRA moves slower than that.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 06:35:55 AM »
The VDCL has been so successful they've served as the model for similarly named organizations in other states with basically the same mission. I think more states should follow their lead. I think their narrow focus on carry and armed self-defense is their biggest asset whereas the more "sportsmans" oriented groups may drop the ball for other issues or even have a significant number of their membership be opposed to CCW/self-defense.

I wish you folks in Texas the best of luck in your endeavors. Maybe you can be just like us one day and lose your inferiority complex.  =D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 06:41:19 AM by stevelyn »
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 08:14:22 AM »
The VDCL has been so successful they've served as the model for similarly named organizations in other states with basically the same mission. I think more states should follow their lead. I think their narrow focus on carry and armed self-defense is their biggest asset whereas the more "sportsmans" oriented groups may drop the ball for other issues or even have a significant number of their membership be opposed to CCW/self-defense.

I like how you think....

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 09:17:09 AM »
Yep....and TSRA moves slower than that.....
And if they think they can do better, have at it.  It sounds like they will be looking at issues beyond guns as well which the TSRA does not do.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 12:53:03 AM »
The VCDL ROCKS! I just moved back home after spending the last 6 years in VA and while there I was a part of the VCDL and can say nothing but good things about them! I would kill to have a copy of it here in Louisiana!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 12:54:54 AM »
I would kill to have a copy of it here in Louisiana!

See, you people are not to be trusted with guns.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 09:00:44 AM »
I'd be glad to address any questions you may have. 

Our goal for this session will be an easing of the current gun regulations, specifically seeking Constitutional Carry such as AZ has recently implemented.  We do not want to see the current CHL program abolished, there are reasons why an individual may want to have a CHL card.

We're not going to concentrate only on gun laws.  Future plans include easing of the knife laws, harsher criminal laws, etc.  Basically anything that restricts the freedom of the people.

Campus carry.
Campus carry.
Campus carry.
Campus carry.
Campus carry.
Did I mention Campus carry?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 11:52:05 AM »
Campus carry.
Campus carry.
Campus carry.
Campus carry.
Campus carry.
Did I mention Campus carry?

We're hoping to get both Campus & Parking Lot carry.  The LSCDL isn't sponsoring a bill for either of those at this time since the TSRA is working on them.  

FYI, we don't want to discontinue the CHL program; there are good reasons for a person to have a TX CHL.  
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 12:09:30 PM by Cliffh »

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 11:53:08 AM »
Open Carry
Open Carry
Open Carry

Did I mention Open Carry?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 08:14:41 PM »
What is your read on the chances of Open Carry?  That issue seemed to pop up on the main stage last session and I don't think a lot of representatives were prepared to consider it.  I wonder if that has changed.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 08:34:22 PM »
What is your read on the chances of Open Carry?  That issue seemed to pop up on the main stage last session and I don't think a lot of representatives were prepared to consider it.  I wonder if that has changed.

When I was at the TexasCHL forum shoot last month, I asked a quite a few people what they thought of open carry.  Surprisingly most were against it.  Just interesting that self avowed 2A types were anti-OC.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 08:41:56 PM »
To be 100% honest - I don't know if OC will pass this time around.  There are reasons to be optimistic, there are reasons to not be.  IMO we do stand a good chance, with hard work.

One of the most important objectives is educating the public about OC.  Unfortunately, we got a late start and time's running short.  

Part of the problem last time was created by the OC community.  People were contacting the sponsor with conflicting messages; some wanted licensed OC, some wanted unlicensed, various reasons for and against, etc.  A cohesive voice is going to be necessary, this time or next.

I've been following a thread at the TXCHL site discussing this matter.  Some are for, some are against, some don't care on way or the other, some want it but wouldn't OC themselves.  Just about as many opinions as there are people posting.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 11:58:21 AM »
Cliffh:

Any chance of turning Grayson county into at least shotgun zone for deer?? The Bowhunters have it tied up so much that a person cannot hunt deer with a firearm. Our local Rep, Larry Phillips is in bed with the Bowhunters here, too. I can hunt everything else around here with a rifle or shotgun, just NOT deer.

Also, I'd like to see the CHL laws changed to resemble Minnesota's Permit to Carry Laws if you believe that Texas should keep the CHL laws.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 12:47:50 PM »
We've sorta somewhat considered moving to TX (where I was born!) for economic reasons, but it would really chafe to not be able to Open Carry a sidearm while out riding my horse along a roadside  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 04:57:49 PM »
It does chafe, trust me. I moved here from OH where I merrily open carried, or indifferently-concealed-carried, as I pleased. Now, even though it's 8billion degrees in the summer, I can't open carry and have to worry about being prosecuted if someone sees my gun. Would that TX were as free as TXns think it is.

On the plus side, you can carry anything in your car without a permit, and open carry is legal on private property.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 01:10:39 AM »
Cliffh:

Any chance of turning Grayson county into at least shotgun zone for deer?? The Bowhunters have it tied up so much that a person cannot hunt deer with a firearm. Our local Rep, Larry Phillips is in bed with the Bowhunters here, too. I can hunt everything else around here with a rifle or shotgun, just NOT deer.

Also, I'd like to see the CHL laws changed to resemble Minnesota's Permit to Carry Laws if you believe that Texas should keep the CHL laws.

The answer to your question will require some research.  I don't know if that should be addressed at the county level, with Fish & Game or just who.

If you don't mind saving me a bit of time, what are Minnesota's carry laws like in comparison to Texas'?  What would you like to see changed and/or incorporated in our laws?

Having OC'd in KY, NM, AZ and CA I too find it awkward to always CC.  Even though I'd most likely still CC most of the time, I want the choice to be mine.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 11:54:49 AM »
It does chafe, trust me. I moved here from OH where I merrily open carried, or indifferently-concealed-carried, as I pleased. Now, even though it's 8billion degrees in the summer, I can't open carry and have to worry about being prosecuted if someone sees my gun. Would that TX were as free as TXns think it is.

On the plus side, you can carry anything in your car without a permit, and open carry is legal on private property.

If we were to move, I doubt we would be so lucky as to get a place right next to a 10K acre ranch where we could ride.

I can and do OC through four states from my door to within 50 miles of my dad's house, but have to stick it between the seats before crossing from NM to TX  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 12:01:39 PM »
You can OC a rifle.  :P
JD

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 06:44:26 PM »
Yeah, a few years back one of the local black activists got a bunch of guys together in downtown Houston for a protest where they all stood there with rifles slung on their shoulders. 

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 12:54:13 AM »
When I was at the TexasCHL forum shoot last month, I asked a quite a few people what they thought of open carry.  Surprisingly most were against it.  Just interesting that self avowed 2A types were anti-OC.

I've been following a thread re: OC on the TXCHL site for a few days.  While most seem to be against OC, I get the impression it's more of a personal preference than an actual objection to getting OC legalized.  There are concerns about specific situations; more 30.06 signs, "stupid" actions by OC'ers, that sort of thing.  But I believe that, if approached correctly, some may be swayed to back a push for OC - or at least not actively oppose one.  And there are more than a couple people on that site who support OC, even if some wouldn't use that method themselves.