Author Topic: Got a GSG 1911  (Read 7368 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Got a GSG 1911
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 12:28:26 AM »
You can see the undercut and the bevel I put on the safety.  It was one of those squared off shelf hi-ride ones, I'll probably replace it when I buy the new ambi for my "real" 1911 and put on a flat mainspring housing at the same time so it matches my other two 1911 pattern guns.  Those are thin grips on it.

Will you let us know what type/brand of mainspring housing you go with? I'm thinking I'll want one as well. Good looking guns, by the way.

I can't find any pictures of the guide rod on the tubes, so I'll have to take a picture for you.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 02:21:06 AM »
Will you let us know what type/brand of mainspring housing you go with? I'm thinking I'll want one as well. Good looking guns, by the way.

I can't find any pictures of the guide rod on the tubes, so I'll have to take a picture for you.

I will be using the cheapest part I can find.  Probably a Colt branded part from Midway or Brownells.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 10:31:27 AM »

Supposedly, the problem is with the transition from the rounded portion near the tip, to the x-cross-section part of the rod.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 12:00:38 PM »
That can't be worth machining that way. They must be welding the round on the end.

I'd bet some are either misaligned or the transition wasn't taken down smoothly enough.

I'd probably hand cycle to figure out the wear points and then polish them up if I didn't just send the part back.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2011, 07:00:28 PM »
Grrrr! Yup, the bushing moved on me, and jammed up the weapon. I'll be calling them.

But it did feed pretty reliably until that happened.