Author Topic: How much is your US residency worth?  (Read 1526 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
How much is your US residency worth?
« on: September 10, 2012, 11:03:44 AM »
The US budget for 2013 is $4 Trillion (rounded up). The US population is 300 million (rounded down).

That averages out to $13,333 per person for next year, if it was divided equally among the population.

Is that a fair price to you? 

Would you willingly pay that for your family?

Would you voluntarily pay more? Or would you only pay less?

For me, I think that is an excellent price. That is like shopping at Wal Mart with a coupon.  I would gladly pay $40k per year for me, my wife, and our daughter.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: How much is your US residency worth?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 11:36:54 AM »
Of course if you average it out.
But it's not averaged.  Many people pay far less. Or nothing. Or are paid to be here by the rest of us.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 11:39:25 AM »
I pay about twice that right now just in various Fed taxes, let alone State and other taxes.

I want a refund.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 11:57:15 AM »
Yes, I would write a check for that amount x every member of my family right now, provided that we can opt out of SS and Medicare or any other future entitlement programs and their associated taxes.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:00:19 PM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 12:13:06 PM »
I think I'll wait until we  solve the 16 trillion dollar national debt.... don't wanna be sendin' good $$$$ after bad $$$$$.  [tinfoil] :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 12:27:57 PM »
I pay about twice that right now just in various Fed taxes, let alone State and other taxes.

I want a refund.

Must really suck dragging that bag of gold around.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 12:31:34 PM »
But it's not averaged.  Many people pay far less. Or nothing. Or are paid to be here by the rest of us.

Yeah, probably about $10K of that amount is being paid out annually to about 50% of the population  =(

(not meaning each one gets $10K)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 01:42:10 PM »
Must really suck dragging that bag of gold around.

I take it back... I'm not paying $26k in fed taxes annually.

But I am paying well above the $13k mentioned, in income tax.  Before getting to FICA/SS/Medicare stuff, excise taxes, and state/city/sales/etc taxes.

People need to pay for the government they consume.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 01:45:21 PM »
I take it back... I'm not paying $26k in fed taxes annually.

But I am paying well above the $13k mentioned, in income tax.  Before getting to FICA/SS/Medicare stuff, excise taxes, and state/city/sales/etc taxes.

People need to pay for the government they consume.

I'm not really sure what I'm paying since I work off and on rather than steady.

But I do know that we could have lived very nicely on the amount that was withheld each week for taxes earlier this year, if I was getting that every week all year long.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 03:17:24 PM »
This. In spades.

Were about at hte point where a majority receive some sort of welfare. Where a growing number pay zero taxes, or receive more from the government then they pay. There is no way to make that sustainable.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
Assuming you are single, you would need to make $68,800 a year to pay $13,333 in fed taxes.  If you're married, that jumps to $84,300.

Personally, the people managing my tax money have done so completely irresponsibly.  I refuse to pay in one dime more then I have to to avoid imprisonment.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 04:25:06 PM »
Assuming you are single, you would need to make $68,800 a year to pay $13,333 in fed taxes.  If you're married, that jumps to $84,300.

Personally, the people managing my tax money have done so completely irresponsibly.  I refuse to pay in one dime more then I have to to avoid imprisonment.

Doesn't the US budget include SS/Medicare payments  ???

So you would have to include the withholding for those also.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 09:45:04 PM »
What would we be getting in exchange for that payment?

I paid about $40,000 in income tax, but for that I got:

-Medical care (everything except dental)
-a safety net for unemployment, disability, lost retirement, etc including housing and food assistance
-public services of as good or better a standard than I got at home.

My problem with American tax is that it's money for no tangible benefit.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 09:50:15 PM »
I'd like to see it itemized and be able to choose among competing providers of the various services. This would include the choice not to pay for a service I do not want. 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 10:47:47 PM »
I'd like to see it itemized and be able to choose among competing providers of the various services. This would include the choice not to pay for a service I do not want. 
In order to itemize, they would need to figure where it actually is going.....I don't think that they really know.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 11:14:38 PM »
13.3K? Yes, I would pay it to put things right. Settle everything, and be as we once were.

But I have no faith in any elected official, anymore. We could pay the 13.3 but what would actually change?

My Grandad lived by an adage, no doubt born of the depression.

"Them that works, eats".

I am acquainted with a Ph.D. who is a quadreplegic and needs 'round the clock care. Yet, he shows up for work every day. Every.Fricking. Day. Without fail.

As a consequence, folks claiming "I was traumatized by xyz and cannot work" hold 0 value to me. Bullshit. If he can do it, anyone can do it.

Don't like your position in life? Change it! If a guy without use of his arms, fingers, legs, and toes can do it, don't cry to me you "cannot".

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 11:47:04 PM »
Surely there are only a limited number of jobs available for people who can't use any limbs?  I'm not sure how hard I'd want to be on an unemployed quadriplegic

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 11:56:24 PM »
As a consequence, folks claiming "I was traumatized by xyz and cannot work" hold 0 value to me. Bullshit. If he can do it, anyone can do it.

Couple of years ago, paper ran a series of articles on people who had various sob stories about why they were so bad off. This was around Christmas time.

One guy was bitching about he wasn't getting "enough" money from the .gov, that he had to live in a plain, small apartment on Section 8 housing, and that he had no car. He said he "couldn't work", not even a part time job at McDonalds. Why? Because 15 years prior, he was at work and had jammed his finger and therafter was "disabled" and "traumatized".

Another "sob story" was a woman who was complaining she couldn't find work...that is, work that paid what she wanted ($20+ an hour). Numerous places had offered to hire her for around the $12/hr mark...but she felt that "wasn't enough" so she sat on her ass.

My problem with American tax is that certain groups have gotten to use the government to hold a gun to mine and other's heads and take our rightfully earned money for themselves. *expletive deleted* THEM. Oh, there's tangible benefit from my tax money. Only I don't get it, but the welfare ho down the street sure as *expletive deleted*ck does.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 12:21:45 AM »
Ah yes, the welfare queens who get a percent of your taxes are the problem, not the bailout welfare queens who literally have spent your taxes on manhattan penthouses and bentleys.

I cannot comprehend why there's so much visceral hatred for people who get a few hundred bucks of taxpayer relief, and nothing but awe and respect for bankers and corporations who get billions.  That will one day be evaluated as one of the 20th century's greatest propaganda feats.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 12:37:30 AM »
Surely there are only a limited number of jobs available for people who can't use any limbs?  I'm not sure how hard I'd want to be on an unemployed quadriplegic

There is a greeter at my local Home Depot who is a quadriplegic. He can't even speak without assistance. He can tell you where anything in the store happens to be, though. Spina-bifida, I believe is his affliction. Doesn't stop him. Just because he doesn't have use of his limbs, doesn't mean he's not useful/employable. And if anyone were to tease/taunt him? Retribution would be swift and merciless. It won't come to that, though. He's just too appreciated.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 12:40:35 AM »
Couple of years ago, paper ran a series of articles on people who had various sob stories about why they were so bad off. This was around Christmas time.

One guy was bitching about he wasn't getting "enough" money from the .gov, that he had to live in a plain, small apartment on Section 8 housing, and that he had no car. He said he "couldn't work", not even a part time job at McDonalds. Why? Because 15 years prior, he was at work and had jammed his finger and therafter was "disabled" and "traumatized".

Another "sob story" was a woman who was complaining she couldn't find work...that is, work that paid what she wanted ($20+ an hour). Numerous places had offered to hire her for around the $12/hr mark...but she felt that "wasn't enough" so she sat on her ass.

My problem with American tax is that certain groups have gotten to use the government to hold a gun to mine and other's heads and take our rightfully earned money for themselves. *expletive deleted* THEM. Oh, there's tangible benefit from my tax money. Only I don't get it, but the welfare ho down the street sure as *expletive deleted* does.

Agreed 100%

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 02:11:12 AM »
What would we be getting in exchange for that payment?

I paid about $40,000 in income tax, but for that I got:

-Medical care (everything except dental)
-a safety net for unemployment, disability, lost retirement, etc including housing and food assistance
-public services of as good or better a standard than I got at home.

Except that's not all you paid.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 02:32:52 AM »
Except that's not all you paid.

I pay a 10 percent VAT on consumer purchases as well, but I can minimize that by spending less on crap if I want to.

All told, a fairly good deal - I'd pay nearly the same in the US and still have to buy my own health insurance, retirement, and wage protection.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 02:50:27 AM »
Ah yes, the welfare queens who get a percent of your taxes are the problem, not the bailout welfare queens who literally have spent your taxes on manhattan penthouses and bentleys.

I cannot comprehend why there's so much visceral hatred for people who get a few hundred bucks of taxpayer relief, and nothing but awe and respect for bankers and corporations who get billions.  That will one day be evaluated as one of the 20th century's greatest propaganda feats.

Yeah, I see those bailout welfare queens buying Bentley's with their government-issued Bentley assistance cards, and coming and going from their government-subsidized penthouse apartment buildings all the time.  ;/

You know damn well that half the population pays no taxes but receives nearly all of the entitlement money. The corporate bailouts are political payoffs. Put members of congress--and the president--in prison and that will stop.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 02:52:37 AM »
Yeah, I see those bailout welfare queens buying Bentley's with their government-issued Bentley assistance cards, and coming and going from their government-subsidized penthouse apartment buildings all the time.  ;/

You know damn well that half the population pays no taxes but receives nearly all of the entitlement money. The corporate bailouts are political payoffs. Put members of congress--and the president--in prison and that will stop.

And that's my question:  why are we less offended by billion dollar political payoffs than by hundred dollar welfare checks?

The bentleys and penthouses are no less government purchased than the welfare card snacks.