Author Topic: How much is your US residency worth?  (Read 1527 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: How much is your US residency worth?
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 06:01:44 AM »
And that's my question:  why are we less offended by billion dollar political payoffs than by hundred dollar welfare checks?

The bentleys and penthouses are no less government purchased than the welfare card snacks.

If APS members were generally overjoyed at the government bailouts of AIG, GM, etc., I must have been off-line that day. Somehow, unless I missed it, hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars going to companies "too big to fail" didn't really touch off celebrations by forum members.

Hundreds of billions . . . that's a lot of money.

On the other hand, unearned entitlements, since LBJ kicked off his Great Society, total many trillions of dollars. And the total keeps going up . . . and up . . . and up. Money completely pissed away, with NO benefit whatsoever to taxpayers - you know, the ones burdened with paying for this crap. Under Obama,the food stamp program alone has nearly doubled. And there's no cap in sight . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

birdman

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 08:03:54 AM »
The tax rates distort the actual amounts paid and the disparity.  I paid over $80k in federal taxes last year.  It's likely due to my age I'll never see the "safety net", and likely won't need it due to prudent financial planning, and I'd much rather pay $20k directly to defense, and $30k to an impoverished family as scholarships or other economically viable private assistance and $30k to support my parents than have it be mismanaged by the government.  I think most folks would rather directly help others and take care of their own families than have that role be subsumed by the govt.  government has taken over the role of personal responsibility.  My parents invested in me, it's my job to pay them back, as it was for hundreds of years before social security.

My dad went on SS this year, we had a talk, in his life he contributed roughly $150k (net present value) to SS including employer contributions, and if he lives to be the same age as all of my grandparents, will extract roughly $300k (net present value).  By the time I am his age, I will have contributed nearly $600k, and am likely to never see any of that.  So economically, it woud be better for me to simply pay him and my mom directly.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2012, 08:06:12 AM »
Nice. I finally make more than you paid in taxes.

Of course half my raise isn't showing up in my bank account due to taxes :(
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2012, 09:24:14 AM »
Ah yes, the welfare queens who get a percent of your taxes are the problem, not the bailout welfare queens who literally have spent your taxes on manhattan penthouses and bentleys.

I cannot comprehend why there's so much visceral hatred for people who get a few hundred bucks of taxpayer relief, and nothing but awe and respect for bankers and corporations who get billions.  That will one day be evaluated as one of the 20th century's greatest propaganda feats.
Hatred of either is not mutually exclusive, as you seem to be indicating.

Anyone who can, sight unseen and by a system that to me seems all too arbitrary, take money from my pocket, is not someone I am looking to be friendly with. Particularly when I have seen folks who are as profoundly handicapped as the folks I have mentioned putting in a day's work/being productive. 
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 10:41:17 AM »
Hatred of either is not mutually exclusive, as you seem to be indicating.

It is if you're a liberal.