Author Topic: Flu  (Read 1164 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Flu
« on: January 13, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
There's a strain of flu that's making the rounds in the country, and my wife got hit with it last weekend. She's spent the last eight days in bed. She tried to go to work twice, but only lasted a couple of hours.

I started feeling the effects Thursday evening, and was feeling it 100% by Friday morning. I'm in bed so long that my back can't take it, but if I get up even for a short while, I'm back in bed again. Everything hurts. Even my elbows hurt.

I have to force myself to eat. I've lost seven pounds since Thursday.

Ugh.

De Selby

• friend
Re: Flu
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 06:20:29 PM »
Time for a visit to the doc maybe?

I'm definitely getting the vaccine when it rolls around this year.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 06:22:36 PM »
It took me about 2 weeks to be back mostly to normal.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 06:23:31 PM »
Sorry to hear dude.

You know the routine. Liquids, stay hydrated, rest, and eat.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 06:26:54 PM »
According to our county emergency medical center, we have a 'flu emergency' in my county with three people dead of it so far.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 06:45:22 PM »
From what I've heard, the Flu vaccine that they used this year is for a different strain then what is going around.    Seems like the Fed's never guess right.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 06:50:28 PM »
I don't know what I've got, but it hit me Thursday.  Usually I get a cold, and when it's about over it settles in my chest as bronchitis and atypical pneumonia.  This *started* in my chest.  Was totally wiped out yesterday.  I don't feel all that bad today, but my ribs hurt from coughing.  When I lay on my back, I can hear crackling in my lungs when I breathe.  Mild fever comes and goes.

I'm gonna try to see a doc tomorrow about that lungs crackling thing -- I think that means pneumonia.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 06:50:56 PM »
I got the flu shot back in October and I had the week before Christmas, lasted about 8 days until I was back to feeling back to pair, missed a lot of my favorite time of year to hunt. I still have a cough every now and then.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »
I'm gonna try to see a doc tomorrow about that lungs crackling thing -- I think that means pneumonia.

That sounds like pneumonia. I've had it several times. Once my doctor gave me a prescription. It was really, really expensive, and there were only one or two pills. But it knocked out the pneumonia in one day.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 07:17:50 PM »
From what I've heard, the Flu vaccine that they used this year is for a different strain then what is going around.    Seems like the Fed's never guess right.

[tinfoil]
That's what they want you to think
 [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 07:56:12 PM »
It went around at work. I'm the only one that didn't get hit.
The baby might have had something diffrent, she only had a fever for a day.

The elder boss is still deathly ill. She got it last. It seemed to hit fast and hard. Both my coworker and the other boss lost weight. I need to lose some pounds but I decided to pass on that diet...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 08:22:54 PM »
That sounds like pneumonia. I've had it several times. Once my doctor gave me a prescription. It was really, really expensive, and there were only one or two pills. But it knocked out the pneumonia in one day.
Is that tamaflue (sp)
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 08:48:10 PM »
Is that tamaflue (sp)

Sounds like Azithromycin, except that's really not all that expensive.
"It's good, though..."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 09:58:28 PM »
Got a flu shot last Friday.  So far at least 2 bugs have run through the family but I have not gotten sick at all.  Yet anyway.  I probably would not have bothered with a flu shot, but with the new baby coming I figured it was worth it.
Formerly sumpnz

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 10:11:44 PM »
There's a strain of flu that's making the rounds in the country, and my wife got hit with it last weekend. She's spent the last eight days in bed. She tried to go to work twice, but only lasted a couple of hours.

I started feeling the effects Thursday evening, and was feeling it 100% by Friday morning. I'm in bed so long that my back can't take it, but if I get up even for a short while, I'm back in bed again. Everything hurts. Even my elbows hurt.

Ugh.

Would this be a good time, you being sick and delirious and all, to get a moccasin quote?

I have to force myself to eat. I've lost seven pounds since Thursday.

Yup, no appetite for a few days.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 10:46:33 PM »
Would this be a good time, you being sick and delirious and all, to get a moccasin quote?

I don't have to be sick to give away the store to customers. ;)

As for the prescription, I don't remember what it was, but I want to say it was $75 or $150.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 11:09:47 PM »
Is that tamaflue (sp)

Tamiflu.

It was one of the things that went on shortage when there was the big SARS/Avian flu scare or whatever it was a few years back, along with the N95 grade micron filtration masks that can actually catch an Influenza virus... That and the antibiotic Cipro during the Anthrax scares way back during the 9/11 time-frame...

There's arguments if it even works. Roche hasn't released all their data. There has been an independent review by some other groups that says it's not complete bunk. If it does work, it certainly won't "cure" a case of the flu, if it is helping, it might knock down the the duration/severity to just a few days. It's best use seems at least statistically, to take the edge off and help mitigate the potential for serious complications like pneumonia. It's supposed to prevent the virus from cutting ties with the host cells that have been hijacked into producing more so they don't spread as much.

Although some complain Tamiflu hasn't even gone head-to-head with Aspirin and Tylenol in proper double-blind controlled studies to see how effective it is as compared to very common drugs and supportive therapy, like just keeping an eye on people and keeping them hydrated. Because symptomatic treatments could just as easily be as beneficial to the person's overall health and keeping them from getting sicker etc.

You do have to see the doctor within the first 48 hours I think for it to be the most effective. After that the virus has spread too far or is already inside too many cells forcing them to churn out copies that the inhibitions the drug provides won't help much.
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 07:50:06 AM »
I've been fighting a nasty head and chest cold the last couple of days. I think I will pass on the flu. It's why I decided not to go to work today--I don't need to pick up the flu on top of this cold.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 08:43:58 AM »
CDC is reporting a "health emergency" in all but three (3) states due to the flu.

CDC reports that the vaccine is 62% effective - 1 in 3 chance that if you get the shot you will still get the flu.  Yippee!

I got the shot* as soon as it came out (September 2012) and I follow my infectious disease prevention plan - stay away from people.  (Being a curmudgeonly hermit helps. =D)

Otherwise healthy folks who get it are laid low.  The already-weak are getting buried.  It's not a pandemic like they feared a few years ago, but it's nasty as it makes its rounds.  Also, it is early this year.

stay safe.

* http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/vaccine-selection.htm
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 12:12:44 PM »
I'm just now getting back to 90% plus after it took me out for nearly two weeks.  I still have a nagging cough that if not gone by next week I'll go to the doc for. 
I never get sick and never go to the doc for things like cold or flu.
I figure my body needs to tough it out.
I've never received and would probably never get a flu vaccine.  Most of the time it's not for the right strain, so what's the point.
I can understand youngsters and the elderly getting them. But I'll stick to the tried and true method of Nyquil, cough syrup, hot tea (and hotty toddies) and Campbell chicken noodle.

But yeah I feel for you Monkeyleg and all others who got hit with it.  I thought I was gonna die for a few hours in that week plus.  Everything ached, I actually got several bed sore bruises. And my thermostat was all out of whack.
SWMBO didn't give me any sympathy on the hot flashes, she just laughed and said welcome to MANopause.
Another weird thing I noticed was my beard just stopped growing, I went a week and a half without shaving and it only got to a 5oclock shadow and stopped. Normally I'd be pretty shaggy by then.

The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 01:06:21 PM »
Wonder how much flu is going to be spread by dense crowds in heavily-attended gun shows . . .   :O

I think I'll avoid contagion by sitting out the next few at home.    :'(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 02:32:07 PM »

I'm curious why they don't expand it to cover more than one strain? Lets say, the top 3 strains they think may be prevalent this year, instead of just one?

Also, this for those of you unfamiliar with oral rehydration solutions:

Reduced Osmolarity Rehydration Solution:

To 1 Liter of Water add:

2.6 Grams Sodium Chloride (Table Salt)
1.5 Grams Potassium Chloride (Salt Substitute)
2.9 Grams Trisodium Citrate (Citric Acid)
13.5 Grams Glucose (Sugar)

For those not equipped to measure metric here's a rough conversion..

To 1 standard U.S. pint of water (16 fluid ounces) add:

quarter teaspoon (1/4 tsp.) table salt
eighth teaspoon (1/8 tsp.) salt substitute
quarter teaspoon (1/4 tsp.) citric acid
one and one quarter teaspoons (1 1/4 tsp.) sugar

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 02:46:28 PM »
This is the main reason why I never bother to get the vaccine.  I am not at risk to either contract it or have serious problems because of it and the vaccine typically only helps for a specific type. 

I haven't gotten anything this year though it is cold and wet this week so if there is a week to be susceptible, it is this one.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 04:57:11 PM »
I think my youngest daughter got it. Neither wife, oldest daughter, nor myself have gotten anything. But the youngest (<2yrs) was bed ridden for about 7 days straight with 103-104 temp. Refused to eat. Gave her water/Gatorade/pedialyte to keep hydrated and advil to reduce the fever. 2 weeks later and it still lingers with eye mucous, and coughs; also developed an ear infection complication. Never did do a blood test to check what it really was, but I figure it is the flu that is going around.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 06:02:16 PM »
I just got back from the doc.  He says I just have a cold, and it's actually progressing very quickly and I'm on the back side of it now.  Still at risk of a secondary infection, but I don't have one yet.
"It's good, though..."