Author Topic: The Dangerous Book for Boys  (Read 3164 times)

Silver Bullet

• friend
The Dangerous Book for Boys
« on: September 16, 2007, 08:59:58 AM »
Has anybody seen this ?  I'm thinking of buying copies for nephews and grandsons.

A summary:

he Dangerous Book is a guide book for dads as well as their sons, as a reminder of lore and technique that have not yet been completely lost to the digital age. Recall the adventures of Scott of the Antarctic and the Battle of the Somme, relearn how to palm a coin, tan a skin, and, most charmingly, wrap a package in brown paper and string. The book's ambitions are both modest and winningly optimistic: you get the sense that by learning how to place a splint or write in invisible ink, a boy might be prepared for anything, even girls

Strings

Re: The Dangerous Book for Boys
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 09:04:10 AM »
>a boy might be prepared for anything, even girls<

Yeah... riiight! Talk about a touch overly optimistic...

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 11:03:48 AM »
I got one for my 12 year old son.  He loves it!
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 01:38:06 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
Aweome book. The PC sorts probably hate it.  smiley

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 02:13:55 PM »
I'm going to get a copy for my daughter. grin

That looks like too much fun to pass up.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 02:30:40 PM »
That book sounds dangerous.  Judging by the trailer, the book needs a chapter on "Proper Haircuts for Boys."  But maybe that was grisly's daughter.  cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 02:48:17 PM »
I've got two of 'em. 

I sent one copy to my 76 year-old father.

The other is waiting for my nephew's 8th birthday next month.

Of course, when my dad's done reading his copy, I'll borrow it to read myself.   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 04:11:45 PM »
Okay, I'm sold. 

Part of a buyers review on Amazon:

If I had to offer my opinion, I would say that the appeal of this book is that it does not ask any boy to apologize for being a boy. Our culture is infested with the demand that boys forgo their God given call to grow up to be men, largely because we have adopted an unhealthy view of just what a man is. Whether our example be found in Homer Simpson, Ray Romano or the dad on Family Guy, men are portrayed as selfish imbeciles in a large portion of the media. Women are shown to be compassionate and intelligent, and they are usually given the role of the one who fixes the problems created by men. I have no doubt that most women are compassionate and intelligent, but the common negative portrayal of men is presented far too often, and frankly I'm tired of it.

This book has a different take on what it means to be a boy, which is important because boys grow up to be men. From a biblical standpoint, men are meant to lead their families and churches by serving them. Where can you find such a concept on the television? You can't. This is yet another reason to get this book in the hands of a boy and his dad and get them outside to explore the world, whether that be an excursion in the woods or even just in the back yard. 

And from a blog:

In a radical departure from modern schoolroom readings, the book has almost nothing to say about feelings, relationships or how boys can learn to cry. It valorizes risk, adventure and manliness.

Today's boys inhabit a danger-averse world where even old favorites like tag and dodge ball are under a cloud - Too competitive! Someone might get hurt! The National Parent Teacher Association recommends a cooperative alternative to the fiercely competitive "tug of war" called "tug of peace."

By contrast, "The Dangerous Book for Boys" has detailed instructions on how to hunt, kill, skin and cook a rabbit. . . .

The sad lesson of this book's success is how far our current education culture has drifted from the world of boys. The special art of teaching boys - once so well understood by educators everywhere - is at risk of being lost forever.

One literacy expert reviewed several junior-high social studies texts and concluded: "Many students may well end up thinking that the West was settled chiefly by females, most often accompanied by their parents."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 03:48:15 AM »
Watched the video.

Well, I don't know why they'd have a section on The Rules of Soccer in such a book - who cares about girlyman games like that? (After all, they talk about Soccer Moms all the time . . . )  grin

Unless it went by too fast, I didn't see anything about building a fire, sharpening a knife, or pyrotechnics . . .

But . . . skipping stones?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 04:13:27 AM »
Hey, there's a technique!

Bought one for the 9 year old nephew. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 04:59:24 AM »
Another book that gets good references from people who bought Dangerous is The American Boy's Handy Book, originally published in 1890. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 05:02:43 AM »
The National Parent Teacher Association recommends a cooperative alternative to the fiercely competitive "tug of war" called "tug of peace."

WHAT?!?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 10:32:36 AM »
Got a copy for my 7-yr old........  Both of us love it.
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 10:33:55 AM »
Uhm...

Shouldn't that be HUG of Peace?

Or is that far too close to sexual harassment for NEA's central committee?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 10:37:31 AM »
The Boy Scout Field Guide would be another "dangerous" book also. Well unless it went soft and PC.

-C

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 10:40:52 AM »
I almost bought a copy for myself, but I have too many books as is and didn't know what might be interesting for adults in there.

In defense of the 'PC types' the marketing is aimed squarely at people who dare to suggest little boys and little girls aren't alien species or whatever. Is there a damn thing in the book that couldn't - or shouldn't - apply equally to boys and girls?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 10:47:52 AM »
I have a Boy Scout manual from the late 1940s early 1950s.

There's one section that very euphamistically talks about masturbation, but in such a manner that most kids were probably saying "What in the name of God are they talking about" as they were spanking it...  rolleyes
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 10:57:59 AM »
I have a Boy Scout manual from the late 1940s early 1950s.

There's one section that very euphamistically talks about masturbation, but in such a manner that most kids were probably saying "What in the name of God are they talking about" as they were spanking it...  rolleyes

Thanks Mike Sad  One thing I remember from mine, circa 1980's one with green cover is how to cook bread by the campfire using leaves and how to make a reflector oven.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 09:10:05 AM »
I just got a copy of The Dangerous Book for Boys -- for my daughters.  I figure that with the way most boys are brought up nowadays, having some of the skills and knowledge discussed in the book will be useful.

A companion volume, The Daring Book for Girls, is scheduled to be released next month, and I'm planning on buying it as well.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 09:12:32 AM »
Funny thing.

I ordered two yesterday.  One for my two day old Nephew, who was born via emergency C-section Saturday night.  He, nor my Sister are out of the woods.

I also ordered ordered one for my 2 1/2 year old Daughter.
One day at a time.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 09:13:40 AM »
No problem, Charby.

Just keep your hands where we can see them.  laugh

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 09:26:01 AM »
I had an American Boy's Handy Book when I was younger.

Loved it. It told you how to do all sorts of cool (and what my mom considered) dangerous stuff.  grin
Andy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2007, 09:44:09 AM »
I didn't need one of these silly books.

I invented this stuff as I went along...  grin

Oh, here's one of the 1-star ratings (bad) that I found on Amazon.

i am curious why it is that the authors of this book took pains to make it sexist. tying knots, fishing, building forts, learning morse code, discerning different kinds of trees and clouds.... these are all fun things for kids. not boys in particular, but children. i have a daughter who would love a lot of these activities and i buy this book for her, if it wasn't for the brow beating way they deliberately make it exclusive. i'm surprised that in 2007 there are still people who cling so tenaciously to sexist mores that they have to label gender neutral activities as "for boys."

Jesus wept, it's Waterfall Fern Huggingly buying for his daughter, Rainbow Moonbeam Cannibisleaf... rolleyes