Author Topic: The Dangerous Book for Boys  (Read 3163 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: The Dangerous Book for Boys
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2007, 10:23:01 AM »
I didn't need one of these silly books.

I invented this stuff as I went along...  grin

There is a lot of truth to that, I did learn a lot in scouts because I belonged to an active cub scout pack and den, also an active webelos group and really active boy scout troop who actually made us boys do everything and pretty much the adults were there to keep up from blowing ourselves up or burning down the forest. I also did a stint with Civil Air Patrol but I think I learned a lot more from scouts than the 4 years I was involved with them.

I learned a lot of basic skills by trial and error, I was a fort builder and a dam builder at a young age my highlight of dam building was a 4' deep pool held back by a dam of mud, rocks and logs. It held for a few days until one of my buddies walked across it and knocked loose a log or stone on top of it and it washed out in less than a minute.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 03:17:17 PM »
Jesus wept, it's Waterfall Fern Huggingly buying for his daughter, Rainbow Moonbeam Cannibisleaf... rolleyes

Careful, some kids with hippy names grow up demented.  During a hand to hand combat course, a girl named "Sunshine" broke my nose, torqued my shoulder, and left combat boot shaped marks on my head/shoulder/back.  I should have known 19 years of pent up aggression of growing up with hippies as parents should produce a monster.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 04:43:42 PM »
Oh no!  My faith in RevDisk!  He got beat up by a girl!    laugh

When I was in high school, (mid-90's) I found a book in the li-barry called "A Boy and a Motor."  The first line was something like, "Any boy can build a motor."  I took it to the libarrians, cause I figured they would want to throw it out.  Now I realize I should have left it for other folks' entertainment. 

A few years ago, I was working part-time as a church custodian.  They had a small library, and I had to do some work in there from time to time.  The reader should understand that this church had been founded in 1807.  Even so, they should probably have culled books like "Little Black Sambo."  I wish I had brought it to someone's attention, to see if they might let me take it off their hands.  Just for historical interest to set next to Mao's Little Red Book and other monstrous works that I own. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

trapperready

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 04:56:50 PM »
My kids both have the "Dangerous Book for Boys". Another good one is "The Boy Mechanic: 200 Classic Things to Build" by the editors of Popular Mechanics. My 9 year-old has been reading that one for the past week and we've spent a little time each night working on various projects.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2007, 04:38:58 AM »
Rev, we don't want to hear about your date last weekend. grin

If you find the right hippie chick, one who does not object to soap and razors, hippie chicks can be great!!!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.