Author Topic: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion  (Read 1993 times)

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
« on: March 21, 2006, 01:31:19 PM »
Just curious to see if anyone here has been anticipating this game.
I pre-ordered my copy from Take2 on the sixth of this month...still haven't gotten any messages from them--email or phone or anything.
Lots of folks have already gotten their copy...even folks that pre-ordered after me.  There are some folks that pre-ordered in January and they're in the exact same boat as myself.  The game was supposed to ship on the 20th, and be out in stores on the 21st.

But anyway, The Elder Scrolls IV:  Oblivion is a single-player fantasy RPG game set in the world of Tamriel.  It offers photorealistic (think HL2 but better) graphics in a 16-square mile map with intelligent goal seeking NPCs as well as near complete freedom to do as you please.

I played the third game in the series, Morrowind, for a year before I bothered with the main quest.  It's a safe bet to say that Oblivion will offer even more than that one did.

Anyways, if no one here is interested in the game, just ignore this post, eh?

TES main page:  http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm
Oblivion PC Screens:  http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/obliv_pc_screens_01.htm
Oblivion Xbox 360 Screens:  http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/obliv_xbox360_screens_01.htm

I hope to get my copy tomorrow.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 02:40:42 PM »
I saw screenshots for Oblivion awhile beack, it looks outstanding. Unfortunately I haven't even finished a fraction of Morrowind/Bloodmoon (or Daggerfall for that matter) yet and my computer certainly won't handle the new Elderscrolls game.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 02:54:28 PM »
Sorry to hear that. sad
Bloodmoon is by far my favorite expansion for any game--ever.  It was so amazing.
Also, the great thing about the Elder Scrolls games is you don't have to play the games that came before it to enjoy the current ones.
Though each story takes place in the same universe, they're all completely independant.  Though, they will certainly familiarize you with the lore and such.

Another thing, Bethesda has Arena for free download on their main page...it's very old and in DOS...  I've been successful in getting X-Com/UFO:  Enemy Uknown to work inspite of it being DOS, but have had zero luck with Arena.  Can anyone help me out?

UNNECESSARY COMMA removed.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 03:18:20 PM »
I think I did a bit of what you did with Morrowind- I probably spent 6 months exploring and working to the top of the mages guild, sometimes going to tribunal, and more recently tried Bloodmoon. My character is just about invincible in the Morrowind area , but I had a tougher time in Bloodmoon.

Barack Obama

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 03:32:20 PM »
I seriously spent a year just goofing off and completely ignoring the main quest in Morrowind.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »
My roommate has been waiting for it.  Had Wal-Mart on standby to call as soon as the truck with it arrived (helps he works in electronics).  He was begging, borrowing and stealing money today to get it, but it looks good on the 360.

Don't suppose there will be time for me to play it, with him going crazy over it.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 02:11:54 AM »
I would never get the 360 version. sad  I'm too much of a PC gamer, and with the PC version you get mods--which incredibly increased the fun level of Morrowind.

As for me getting the game...hopefully today.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 05:26:01 AM »
I've been away from PC gaming for a while, and never got into online multiplayer at all, but this sounds awesome. (Baldur's Gate II was my last timesink). I'm on the verge of buying a new PC. Does anyone have comments or suggestions beyond Bethesda's recommended hardware? Also, in addition to Oblivion, which of the previous games would you suggest for a newbie to play first? Thanks!

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

RGO

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 06:31:39 AM »
Quote from: mbs357
Another thing, Bethesda has Arena for free download on their main page...it's very old and in DOS...  I've been successful in getting X-Com/UFO:  Enemy Uknown to work inspite of it being DOS, but have had zero luck with Arena.  Can anyone help me out?
mbs, try DOSBox.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

It's a DOS emulator that runs in Windows XP.  It runs Arena and every other old game I've tried with it.

Stranger

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 10:56:57 AM »
I just ordered it for the 360, my PC cant run the thing.

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 07:56:13 PM »
Having fun so far.  Unfortunately, sucking up my life too.  6 hours worth of the game today alone.  Homework is piling up, it just isn't as fun as Oblivion.  Or hockey, or skiing for that matter.

Fatcat

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 12:17:50 AM »
This game has single handedly eaten up the last two days. I wake up, go to my final for the day and then spend 12 hours in Oblivion. I haven't been this immersed in a game since.. well, Morrowind I guess.

They could do some work optimizing the engine, it's a real hog. Sure looks great, though.

My character (resized down):

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 03:49:59 AM »
Oh man...... Cheesy

This game might be the push that gets me to upgrade my computer.

Last time I got a new computer was because of MOH:Allied Assault, and that was more than a few years ago.

Barack Obama

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 01:09:16 PM »
Ok.  Finally took a break from her to come back and post in my thread. grin
At first impression, the game wasn't too super.  I miss a lot of the things they got rid of from Morrowind and don't like some of the things they added.  However, the more I play it the more I love it.  I still think that Morrowind is a better game, however.

The interface is my main problem.  It feels like they designed the game for the 360 and ported it to the PC without taking advantage of the PC's keyboard.  Everything is driven by the mouse.  You have to tab into inventory, navigate with your mouse to get to anything, etc.  Basically, it's a horrible interface.

RGO, thanks for the link, I'll try it out now. grin

Forgot to add, my main reason for the dislike at the beginning is because I was seriously dissapointed in my hardware.  My computer just did fall short of the recommended specs, so I thought I'd be able to run it decently pretty...unfortunatly, I have to turn off nearly everything.
Right now I'm running at medium textures, 1024, and nearly all the sliders down to zero.  Trees are about halfway, and for some reason the "draw distant terrain and buildings" thing doesn't slow me down.
However, I would never consider the 360 version...there are just too many disadvantages. sad

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 01:24:21 PM »
Just got the PC version.  I must say, if I had a 360, I would rather have that version.  I am still playing it on the 360 more than on the computer.