Author Topic: Quick etiquette question  (Read 1598 times)

Stickjockey

• friend
Quick etiquette question
« on: March 28, 2006, 08:21:09 AM »
Is it okay to send a resume/cover letter to a company from your present workplace?
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Quick etiquette question
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 08:33:49 AM »
I don't think it's a question of etiquette.

I think it's a question of whether or not your current employer will fire you if they find out...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

SADShooter

• friend
Quick etiquette question
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 08:44:15 AM »
The prospective employer won't care. How discreet do you need to be? Are there repercussion, such as Mike references? Is there an enforced policy on use of company resources for personal business? If the recipent calls and speaks to someone other than you, will there be a problem? I've done it, but if you're concerned, I'd go FedEx/Kinko's, etc.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

grampster

• friend
Quick etiquette question
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 12:01:32 PM »
If you use present company letterhead, envelope and postage and you sent it to me, I'd throw it in the wastebasket because you'd be, at best disrespecting your present employer, so why would I want to hire you.   At worst, improperly using corporate property that does not belong to you.  Again, not a good picture for a potential employor.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Quick etiquette question
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 12:06:02 PM »
I agree with previous statements, but the bigger question for me is why try? It's got lots of potential costs and it doesn't cost you anything extra to just wait and do it from home.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Quick etiquette question
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 12:06:12 PM »
Are you talking via email?

If so don't use the company email, there are lots of free email services out there.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

crt360

• friend
Quick etiquette question
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 12:34:10 PM »
What grampster said.  I get letters with resumes regularly and I wouldn't look favorably upon one that appeared to come from the applicant's current place of employment.

I'm actually looking at a cover letter right now from a lawyer seeking a job with us.  The letter has several typed errors that were corrected in blue ink (words crossed out and others inserted).  Do you think I would even consider hiring this person?  Your cover letter may be the most important letter you ever write.  It should be, if nothing else, well written, proofread, corrected, and proofread one more time before you sign your name to it.  If you see errors and think marking them out with a pen is as good as retyping it, you can save yourself a stamp and the intended recipient time by throwing it in the trash.
For entertainment purposes only.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Quick etiquette question
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 06:36:37 PM »
I would not.
I don't have any experience in the real world.
But from what I understand this is how it goes.
I go to work, I work, and get paid by my employer to work.
I do not get paid to write and send resumes from my boss' place of business.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Quick etiquette question
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 06:36:51 PM »
Bad form.

Either use blank letterhead and your own dang envelope or go have letterhead printed with YOUR name on it.

Leave that Pitney-Bowes postage meter alone, too.  Don't put any personal correspondence in the out box at work- find a letter drop box. You may be looking for a new job, and you may have issues where you work now, but don't crap where you eat.

It reflects poorly on you as an individual to be found doing so.
Maintain your dignity. Don't get even, get ahead.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Stickjockey

• friend
Quick etiquette question
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 04:17:44 AM »
Thanks, all. It was more of a "just checking to see if this is really as bad an idea as I think it is" kind of deal. It's been a long time since I've done this and sometimes attitudes can change. Yup, and it's on it's way via FedEx.

crt360-
Proofread, reread, corrected, read by others, recorrected, proofread again, printed on heavy-bond light grey paper, no handwritten marks in pen, pencil, or crayon. (Yes, I have seen  resumes hand-written in crayon. Purple, no less.)

crt360

• friend
Quick etiquette question
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 07:37:51 AM »
Proofread, reread, corrected, read by others, recorrected, proofread again, printed on heavy-bond light grey paper, no handwritten marks in pen, pencil, or crayon.
Smiley  Well done, Stickjockey.
For entertainment purposes only.

Stickjockey

• friend
Quick etiquette question
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 10:42:07 AM »
>blush< Aw shucks, T'warn't nuthin'

Actually it was kind of a close thing. I saw the posting Sunday evening, and it closed today. Not quite well-prepared as I thought I was, I guess.

SADShooter

• friend
Quick etiquette question
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 11:07:42 AM »
Gotta hit that window when its open...good luck!
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch