Author Topic: Sex Offender Maps  (Read 2022 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Sex Offender Maps
« on: March 29, 2006, 08:42:37 AM »
Go to this site and enter your adress. The map that comesup will have a little house in the middle. That's your house. It will give you the locations of all the sex offenders homes etc in your area.

http://www.familywatchdog.us/
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Fudgieghost

Sex Offender Maps
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 11:02:51 AM »
Not so sure this is a good thing.

What happens in the near future when the authorities post "Gun Owner Maps"?

I'm sure it's coming soon. . .

crt360

• friend
Sex Offender Maps
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 11:19:42 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much about "Gun Owner Maps".  Since gun ownership is not public record, it might be kind of hard.  Also, what happens if you sell all of your guns, have none for a year, then buy some more, then sell them all?  Does the little red square blink?  Do they give you a different colored square indicating "occasional gun owner"?  Actually, there are enough gun owners here that it would likely be easier to map non-gunowner homes.
For entertainment purposes only.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Sex Offender Maps
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 01:25:56 PM »
Actually, there are enough gun owners here that it would likely be easier to map non-gunowner homes.
Wait, you mean to tell me that on a un board, there are a lot of people that own guns?

As far as gun owners not being a public record, isn't there an issue with that going on in Ohio right now?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Fudgieghost

Sex Offender Maps
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 03:32:09 PM »
Well here in NYS, I think pistol permits ARE considered a public record---not sure though.  

And as far as handguns go, here in NYS you do have to keep the state abreast of what you own---make, model, caliber, serial #.  And you have to update that whenever you buy, sell, trade, gift, or die.  

Yeah, it's the Empire State.

Strings

Sex Offender Maps
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 05:57:08 PM »
The other issue is the misuse of these maps, where people look up nearby sex offenders and act against them. Been one case of it already...

doesn't sound like a bad thing, until you realize that such actions COULD make the laws requiring notification of the release of a sex offender go away. Personally, I'd rather KNOW that a child rapist has been released in the area...

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Sex Offender Maps
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 06:11:50 PM »
After looking at that, one other thing pops into my mind.  No distinction between crimes is made.  All but one that popped up in my area was for CSC 4th Degree.  I was curious to know what the degrees were, so I had to dig to find Michigan law, and then to find definitions.  I find that those people could have done anything from incest to public exposure, to taking advantage of their drunk girlfriend, or maybe threatening someone to get their way.  

But nowhere on their site, that I could easily find, gave any description of what the charges meant.  Anyone that comes along is just going to see OFFENDER.  The majority of people probably will not take the time to search for definitions, they are just going to assume that tese people are out for their kids.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

client32

• friend
Sex Offender Maps
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 06:15:48 PM »
It is currently not a crime to own a gun.  

What this site is keeping up with is criminals.  These people gave up some of their rights when they committed the act that got them on this list.  Just my $.02.

I like the one that Texas keeps up with better.  Gives more information: date of offense, sex and age of child, offenders birth date, how long the probation period is.  There is a guy about 4 blocks over from me.  IIRC, the offense took place when he was 20 and she was 16, or something like that.  While still illegal, I wouldn't be overly worried (read paranoid to the extent of moving) about him going after my 2-5 year old daughter.  

One more thing, these sites don't always get updated quickly.  The guy that both sites say is accross the street from me, lives clear across town.  He has registered correctly (quick call to police with the question), the site just hadn't updated.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Sex Offender Maps
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 09:06:13 PM »
It is currently not a crime to own a gun.
Not to split hairs here, but it is not a crime to be a previously convicted criminal either. Once the sentance is completed the case is closed and finished, the people being registered are not actually in the act of commiting a crime. The registration and maps come from the exact same source of authority as the hypothetical map to gun owner homes. The state says they can do it, and noone is willing to tell them that they cant, simple as that.

I wouldnt have a problem with the registration *IF* it were part of the sentance for the crime that the person was convicted of. That way it would be a part of due process, and a punishment handed down by a jury. As it is, the registration system is run by some guy behing a desk who simply decides who goes on the list and who doesnt, that is NOT how justice works in this nation. Beurocrats do not get to mete out punishments just because they want to. The whole registration process is a perversion of the American justice system and it will NOT stop at sex offenders. When have you ever known the state to self-limit it's power?

client32

• friend
Sex Offender Maps
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 05:17:14 AM »
Quote from: c_yeager
Not to split hairs here, but it is not a crime to be a previously convicted criminal either. Once the sentance is completed the case is closed and finished, the people being registered are not actually in the act of commiting a crime.
You are correct.  In Texas, however, it was explained to me that the information they hold on to are for people still serving their sentence.  Once they have finished their probation, they are taken off the list.  This information could be incorrect, but the few times I have looked, I have never seen someone that wasn't currently on probation.  My main point is that these people, in my mind at least, are still serving their sentence.

Quote from: c_yeager
I wouldnt have a problem with the registration *IF* it were part of the sentance for the crime that the person was convicted of.
I am only discussing TX again, but I thought that was part of being convicted of this crime.  I don't know all the details, but I do know they have to to register themselves and notify the proper people any time they move.  I don't think it is a pick and choose thing here.  I could be wrong.

Tx registry here:  https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/soSearch/
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.