Author Topic: ...though I walk through the shadow of the valley of Smug Superiority  (Read 1018 times)

Antibubba

• friend
I had an interesting experience this morning.  I went to a live on-location broadcast of Air America's Al Franken.  My brother has been a DJ at a local station, which is owned by a big radio conglomerate that also owns an Air America AM station.  Well, two weeks ago they gave him and another guy a show that leads into Franken's.  It's a good opportunity for him.  So he asked me if I wanted a ticket.  It was too good an opportunity to pass up-it was my day off, it was free, and it allowed me to delay doing my laundry Wink .  Of course, I wore one of Oleg Volk's fine shirts (although "Kalashnikitty" almost got to go).  Cheesy

There was some of the usual GOP bashing and parading of Dems in Congressional and state races, but the main topic was the immigration debate.  What was so interesting was the realization that the topic utterly defies classification by Right vs Left.  Listening how the unions are opposing guest workers, and how many Mexican immigrants oppose a general amnesty for illegals-well, it's fascinating to see Franken and Company try to formulate a position based not on a political orientation, but on actual thought and struggle.  To his credit, Franken really was trying to find a position that he could support, an action that's beyond Limbaugh's abilities (and who'd rather make an outrageous assertion for the ratings anyway).

Met some interesting people, had some stimulating conversations-including one started by the shirt-and I got to hiss at Phil Angelides (not that you could hear it).  

And then I went for sushi.  Just a typical day in California.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
...though I walk through the shadow of the valley of Smug Superiority
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 10:39:16 PM »
Which shirt did you wear, and was the conversation about it pro or con?
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 09:25:10 AM »
Watched South Park last night, did we? Smiley

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 09:29:00 AM »
Watched South Park last night, did we?
Never again will I be able to look at a hybrid without laughing aloud.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 10:09:36 AM »
They missed an entire line of bashing...

Not only did it turn them smug, it turned them gay!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.