Author Topic: Home network storage problem.  (Read 2232 times)

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Home network storage problem.
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 11:55:15 AM »
Not always.  It'll tell you IP connectivity is available, but won't confirm SMB connectivity.  Windows workgroup/domain networking is a bit decoupled from straight IP.  It runs over IP, but can fail even when you have IP connectivity.  

Chris

Sure but ping does a good job of telling you whether you need to oh, for example,
Replace the network cable.  Plug the network cable into a different port.  Replace the hub/switch.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 11:58:01 AM »
FTP from a command prompt.

One of the skills that separates geeks from wannabes.   =D

:P

Pardon me for being to lazy to type out the steps for opening a command prompt. :D

Chris

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 12:42:53 PM »
FTP from a command prompt.

One of the skills that separates geeks from wannabes.   =D

Wannabe:
$ ncftp ftpserver

Geek:
$ telnet ftpserver 21
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage