Author Topic: So what does APS think of relgious structures.  (Read 5759 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: So what does APS think of relgious structures.
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 03:26:08 PM »
When there's noises being made about using uh... "Baptista Law" to settle things like divorces, and minor community disputes, I'll get more concerned about the mega-churches.

Like Halacha?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 03:52:09 PM »
Like Halacha?

Sure.

Now that you and Bridgewalker have opened my eyes to the underbelly of Ultra Orthodox Judaism, I'll throw that in the ring. Although they're a relatively small group as compared to Islam, even just the sub-set of Fundie-Islam, or much less, the Baptists. Nor do most flavors of Judaism have any evangelical/conversion mandates to them...  

Orthodox Jews - 1.8-2 million worldwide, with roughly half in Israel. (being generous, not even counting the subset of UOJ's)
Baptists - Roughly 40 million worldwide
Fundamentalist Muslims - 150 million worldwide (Based on a 10% estimate of the world estimate Muslim population of 1.6 Billion.)

So while I certainly understand that there are other extra-judicial religious legal traditions in existence, they have no impact beyond Israel, and exceptionally tiny pockets in other places in the world. And have no stated desire to see it spread or be put upon others. And outside Israel, I've not seen any backlash of note when confronted with the secular legal system of the region.

Baptists? A joke obviously, since I've not heard of any desire on their part to create a parallel religious/legal structure.

Muslims? Sharia? 150 million people who desire to see a world wide caliphate is not insignificant. I refuse to take them lightly, even if their battlefield performance is dismal, and they're getting blown up a lot. Nor will I make light of what's going on in Europe, even if I first take a healthy dose of skepticism to weed out hyperbole.

Leaving modern technology, disparities of force, and logistics out of it, and just focusing only on issues of religion and culture... From a purely pragmatic standpoint, and one of hindsight, I don't think anyone does not think now and again that in terms of their own best interests the (American) Indians, and the Aztecs etc. should not have fought balls to the wall at the first sight of Europeans.

Learning from history and all that...
I promise not to duck.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 04:41:40 PM »
From a purely pragmatic standpoint, and one of hindsight, I don't think anyone does not think now and again that in terms of their own best interests the (American) Indians, and the Aztecs etc. should not have fought balls to the wall at the first sight of Europeans.

Learning from history and all that...
There's a bumper/rear-window sticker that was popular over here some years ago, roughly translated to: "The American Indians didn't control immigration, and now they live on reservations"
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila