Author Topic: Belmont to be first U.S. city to ban all smoking  (Read 4190 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Belmont to be first U.S. city to ban all smoking
« on: November 16, 2006, 05:57:18 AM »
What in the hell happened to the "Land of the Free, and Home of the Brave." 
To me, any one that would even consider voting for a law like this should be recalled, then tarred and feathered.
Is this what the "cradle to grave" mentality is doing to this country.  I would love to see one hell of a lawsuit filed against the city.  And I am a nonsmoker.

Belmont to be first U.S. city to ban all smoking
By Dana Yates, Daily Journal Staff
http://www.smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=66988

Belmont is set to make history by becoming the first city in the nation to ban smoking on its streets and almost everywhere else.
The Belmont City Council voted unanimously last night to pursue a strict law that will prohibit smoking anywhere in the city except for single-family detached residences. Smoking on the street, in a park and even in ones car will become illegal and police would have the option of handing out tickets if they catch someone.

The actual language of the law still needs to be drafted and will likely come back to the council either in December or early next year.

We have a tremendous opportunity here. We need to pass as stringent a law as we can, I would like to make it illegal, said Councilman Dave Warden. What if every city did this, image how many lives would be saved? If we can do one little thing here at this level it will matter.

Armed with growing evidence that second-hand smoke causes negative health effects, the council chose to pursue the strictest law possible and deal with any legal challenges later. Last month, the council said it wanted to pursue a law similar to ones passed in Dublin and the Southern California city of Calabasas. It took up the cause after a citizen at a senior living facility requested smoke be declared a public nuisance, allowing him to sue neighbors who smoke.

The council was concerned about people smoking in multi-unit residences.

I would just like to say no smoking and see what happens and if they do smoke, [someone] has the right to have the police come and give them a ticket, said Councilwoman Coralin Feierbach.

The councils decision garnered applause from about 15 people who showed up in support of the ordinance. One woman stood up and blew kisses to the council, another pumped his fist with satisfaction.

Im astounded. I admire their courage and unanimous support, said Serena Chen, policy director of the American Lung Association of California.

Chen has worked in this area since 1991 and helped many cities and counties pass no smoking policies, but not one has been willing to draft a complete ban.

I feel like the revolution is taking place and I am trying to catch up, Chen told the council.

The decision puts Belmont on the forefront of smoking policy and it is already attracting attention from other states.

You have the ability to do something a little more extraordinary than Dublin or Calabasas. I see what theyve done as five or six on the Richter Scale. What the citizens of Belmont, and of America, need is five brave people to do something thats a seven or eight on the Richter Scale, said Philip Henry Jarosz of the Condominium Council of Maui.

The whole state of Hawaii is watching he said.

Councilman Warren Lieberman said he was concerned the city will pass a law it cannot enforce because residents will still smoke unless police are specifically called to a situation. Police cannot go out and enforce smoking rules, he said.

It makes us hypocrites by saying you know you can break the law if no one is watching, Lieberman said.

However, both Feierbach and Warden argued it is the same as jaywalking, having a barking dog or going 10 miles over the speed limit. All are illegal, but seldom enforced.

You cant walk down the street with a beer, but you can have a cigarette, Warden said. You shouldnt be allowed to do that. I just think it shouldnt be allowed anywhere except in someones house. If you want to do that, thats fine.

Dana Yates can be reached by e-mail: dana@smdailyjournal.com or by phone: (650) 344-5200 ext. 106. What do you think of this story? Send a letter to the editor: letters@smdailyjournal.com.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: Belmont to be first U.S. city to ban all smoking
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 06:38:32 AM »
Blegh.  I'm not a smoker, but I would still throw the bums on their ears.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 07:05:31 AM »
I can see a ban on smoking on city properties, like city hall or parks and being okay. On the other hand to ban someone from smoking in their own car, own yard, own business, is just plain wrong. For F's sake! If this passes than we should able to ban stinky people too, ones with bad hygeine and ones that wear too much perfume or cologne.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Otherguy Overby

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 07:07:16 AM »
Blegh.  I'm not a smoker, but I would still throw the bums on their ears.

I'm not a smoker either (for over 35 years).  Seems the smell of tobacco smoke is now the smell of repressed freedom.

I'd rather smell someone's tobacco smoke in freedom than sacrifice my freedom to be "free" of it.
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 07:43:51 AM »
How long until the first Smokeasies start being built?

Bastards and their prohibitions.

~GnSx

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 08:49:14 AM »
I'm not a smoker either (for over 35 years).  Seems the smell of tobacco smoke is now the smell of repressed freedom.

I usually despise smoking, but I feel the same way.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 10:25:35 AM »
Anchorage has passed a similar law, which outlaws smoking within fifty feet of any place of employment.  That pretty much covers everywhere.  I'm hoping someone gives me a ticket for smoking my pipe, because I want to be the one to get it overturned. 

Mark my words, in ten years the "science" behind the second hand smoking "findings" will be exposed as politically motiviated agitprop.  But for now it's the new Crusade. 

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 10:34:10 AM »
"prohibit smoking anywhere in the city except for single-family detached residences"

Am I reading this right?  Smoking in my own apartment would be illegal if I lived in this town?  Wow, just wow.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 01:00:39 PM »
Given that about a quarter of adults smoke, I'm surprised that smokers haven't organized to fight this sort of thing.

We're not on a slippery slope anymore. We're sliding down, and fast.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 03:32:56 PM »
Good Lord!
Shouldn't we expect that elected folks have at least a third-grader's knowledge of the Constitution?
I wish I lived there; I would park my car in front of City Hall every day and smoke until my eyes watered.
F$&( 'em if they can't take a joke!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 03:36:02 PM »
Given that about a quarter of adults smoke, I'm surprised that smokers haven't organized to fight this sort of thing.
  I've put on my slippers, as I am trying to walk very carefully on this egg.  Could it be that people who smoke these days tend to be people who don't or can't organize politically, or are just disadvantaged in some way that discourages political organization?  I could be wrong.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 05:27:11 PM »
Puritanism is alive and well.

Discriminating against smokers is just today's version of witch hunting.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 05:31:00 PM »
Except that no smokers have been hung or crushed yet. 

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 05:54:08 PM »
Except that no smokers have been hung or crushed yet.

Authorizing public trough feeders to issue fines is much more politically correct.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 06:03:21 PM »
Fistful, I have no idea why smokers have not organized.

Perhaps it's because they aren't part of one political idealogy or another. Not neccesarily Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, or even independents.

Or perhaps it's because most smokers tend to be in the lower socio-economic groups, and don't have access to the political organizational structures that other groups have.

It took the anti-smoking groups about thirty years to get to this point. The food fanatics learned the tactics quickly, and have made inroads in much less time.

If the anti-smokers can ban all smoking in a city, it won't be long before the food fanatics will enact city-wide or even statewide bans on foods they consider unhealthy.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 06:07:16 PM »
I believe the food bans are already in effect in some places.  New York City?  I'm not sure.  Your analysis of the inaction of smokers is insightful.  I don't think the anti-smoking campaign will go a lot further, but it will be libertarian/small govt. types that stop it, not smokers. 

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 06:23:15 PM »
it won't be long before the food fanatics will enact city-wide or even statewide bans on foods they consider unhealthy.
NYC transfat ban, perhaps?
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 11:01:53 PM »
If the anti-smokers can ban all smoking in a city, it won't be long before the food fanatics will enact city-wide or even statewide bans on foods they consider unhealthy.

I believe Chicago recently declared commoners no longer have the right to enjoy foi gras.

The Puritannic "mind" has always considered itself a.) far more advanced than ordinary intellects, and b.) entitled to inflict its self-declared "wisdom" upon one and all. I believe it makes no difference whether we're talking about religious intolerance, psuedo-scientific intolerance, anti-Second Amendment bigotry, hatred of smokers, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera: the operant factor always seems to be the confluence of self-appointed superiority and the political power to inflict that perception upon everyone.

By the time a tradition has been around four centuries, it's time to take it seriously.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 11:41:05 PM »
Seems to me an awefull lot of smoke comes from the back of cars too... Release the Fines!
 police
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006, 03:33:22 AM »
Wolf, do you seriously want to blame all this on the Puritans?  My goodness, they weren't the first to ban that things that were bad for you. 

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 04:44:10 AM »
If I'm ever conned into going to San Fran again, I'll have to stop by Belmont and light one up.
Hmmm.... If I'm just holding it am I "smoking?" What if I'm holding a burning piece of rubber tire instead?
D. R. ZINN

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 04:57:34 AM »
Seems to me an awefull lot of smoke comes from the back of cars too... Release the Fines!
In the great PRK, you WILL get a ticket if your car puts out smoke when running.

auschip

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 05:49:40 AM »
If I'm ever conned into going to San Fran again, I'll have to stop by Belmont and light one up.
Hmmm.... If I'm just holding it am I "smoking?" What if I'm holding a burning piece of rubber tire instead?

I wonder if incense counts? 

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2006, 07:25:55 AM »
I'm trying to think of what puts out the maximum amount of noxious smoke, that is not a cigarette, cigar, pipe, or bong.

D. R. ZINN

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2006, 09:02:29 AM »
I'm trying to think of what puts out the maximum amount of noxious smoke, that is not a cigarette, cigar, pipe, or bong.

big pile of semi wet maple and oak leaves.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536