Author Topic: Bull Attacks Cyclists During California Gravel Race  (Read 1510 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Bull Attacks Cyclists During California Gravel Race
« on: February 21, 2022, 10:10:34 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B70tjKpuF8

The post I saw says no one was hurt.  This is just funny.  I wonder if any of them complained that they have the right of way. 

Also, it helps to pay attention and read animal behavior a bit.  Might not want to ride right up next to the bull. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Bull Attacks Cyclists During California Gravel Race
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 12:38:11 AM »
Stupid city slicker.

What was going through his head coming up behind a bull like that? Must have thought it was one of those docile TV cows.

bob

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 01:40:03 AM »
Bulls aren't all that smart.

But they're smart enough.
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 04:35:25 AM »
Pamplona-in-the-country.

Looked like the bull picked him up and threw him a couple of feet.  He must've been hurt, no?  Bulls usually use their pick-them-up-and-throw-them tools to pick them up and throw them, viz Pamplona and la Corrida.  Maybe it was a polled bull?

Hmmm... "Cycling" of the bulls?  Could be good for tourism.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 08:06:21 AM »
Stupid city slicker.

What was going through his head coming up behind a bull like that? Must have thought it was one of those docile TV cows.

bob

Was my thought.  "City folk."  Anyone with half a brain who'd ever been near a bull would know to be far away.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 08:16:23 AM »
Bulls aren't all that smart.

But they're smart enough.

Usually smarter than the target
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 08:38:45 AM »
Was my thought.  "City folk."  Anyone with half a brain who'd ever been near a bull would know to be far away.
Even a relatively tame bull would not react well to someone coming up behind them.  Even gentle cows don't always like people being too close. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 08:55:42 AM »
In 2008 the wife and I made a trip on the motorcycle to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Reserve. While riding through what little traffic there was came to a stop because there were a couple Buffalo crossing  the road. One fair sized bull was shambling along on the shoulder of the road and as he came abeam of us he stopped and kind of gave us the  big hairy eyeball for a couple of seconds. We were about a lanes width distance from him. If he'd have taken a dislike to us we'd have been in a bit of a pickle.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022, 10:07:08 AM »
What caliber for bull that is light enough to carry on a bicycle?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 10:22:24 AM »
You're gonna need a bigger bicycle.
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 10:58:08 AM »
You're gonna need a bigger bicycle.
Along with something to protect against angry ranchers. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 11:32:31 AM »
Pearls before Swine has a recurring character, Jef the Cyclist.

Seems to apply here.

https://www.gocomics.com/search/full_results?terms=Jef%20the%20Cyclist&category=comic&short_name=pearlsbeforeswine
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2022, 11:54:47 AM »
Even a relatively tame bull would not react well to someone coming up behind them.  Even gentle cows don't always like people being too close. 

Jeeze, even with full broke horses, you never walk behind them without warning them by brushing your hand on their rumps.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2022, 01:48:52 PM »
Jeeze, even with full broke horses, you never walk behind them without warning them by brushing your hand on their rumps.

I remember catching a hoof in my knee when I was a kid.  Ran around a cow a bit too close.  I didn't get hit hard so it was just a good lesson. 

My Dad has several longhorn cows now.  They look intimidating as hell but a very gentle with people.  The biggest threat is them wrestling with each other to get closer when you bring out some feed pellets.  They usually are aware of exactly where their horns are.

robear

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2022, 02:48:16 PM »
Must be auditions for the new talent show "Dancing with the Bulls - Darwin Edition"
 =D
It's a YES from me.   You're through to the next round.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2022, 03:12:56 PM »
I remember catching a hoof in my knee when I was a kid.  Ran around a cow a bit too close.  I didn't get hit hard so it was just a good lesson. 

My Dad has several longhorn cows now.  They look intimidating as hell but a very gentle with people.  The biggest threat is them wrestling with each other to get closer when you bring out some feed pellets.  They usually are aware of exactly where their horns are.

Longhorns are neat. Growing up in SW Oklahoma there were always some around.

This one was living about 2 blocks from where I live now, I would stop by and see her on a regular basis. She would come to the fence for head rubs. The small herd left last year sometime, I'm afraid they may have made a trip to Burgertown.

bob
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 03:30:20 PM by BobR »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2022, 03:55:32 PM »
I often thought it would be great to have a mean Longhorn . . . and let it loose on the matador in a Mexican bullfighting corrida.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2022, 06:00:59 PM »
When I took my last hog to the custom slaughter house I was in line to unload behind a guy dropping off 2 longhorn steers.
Getting them down the loading chute to the kill floor was quite the circus to watch. By the time they got them in the building they were a might agitated. Two quick pops and the commotion inside stopped.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2022, 06:51:28 PM »
We were pheasant hunting near Platte, SD a few years back.  We were staying in the bunkhouse of a lady who owned a couple sections she let us hunt.  We were climbing over a fence to get to another part of her land when we noticed a "cow" at the other end of that enclosure.  As we were slinking across the field we noted it was not a cow.  We slunk a bit quicker while we were getting a very stinky stink eye.  Brer Bull evidently didn't consider us worthy of anything more than some stink eye. :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2022, 08:32:44 PM »
I hail from an agricultural area (The San Joaquin Valley.)

First and foremost, who the HELL rides through an area with free-range cattle?  Wouldn't the organizers of this race bother scouting the route first?

Secondly, if you see a freakin' bull standing there, why would you continue to approach it? Bulls aren't cuddly and even people who have been around them their entire lives have been killed by them when they got too complacent.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2022, 09:57:32 AM »
When I did my clinical rotation for radiology I was assigned to a small rural hospital in Iowa.
Night shift. First 2 nights nothing, no X-rays.
3rd night the county coroner came in with a body bag and said he wanted X-rays but don’t open the bag.
Local farmer didn’t come home for supper and was found killed by his bull. From what I saw on the X-rays he looked like more bones broken than not.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 10:49:12 AM by Kingcreek »
What we have here is failure to communicate.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2022, 10:44:18 AM »
When I did my clinical rotation for radiology I was assigned to a small rural hospital in Iowa.
3rd night the county came in with a body bag and said he wanted X-rays but don’t open the bag.
Local farmer didn’t come home for supper and was found killed by his bull. From what I saw on the X-rays he looked like more bones broken than not.

Lady here I know slightly, her farmer husband was gored to death by one of his cattle.  He was out fixing a fence, IIRC.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2022, 11:05:37 AM »
We were pheasant hunting near Platte, SD a few years back.  We were staying in the bunkhouse of a lady who owned a couple sections she let us hunt.  We were climbing over a fence to get to another part of her land when we noticed a "cow" at the other end of that enclosure.  As we were slinking across the field we noted it was not a cow.  We slunk a bit quicker while we were getting a very stinky stink eye.  Brer Bull evidently didn't consider us worthy of anything more than some stink eye. :P

Piquant wordilage.  =D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2022, 12:27:34 PM »
3rd night the county coroner came in with a body bag and said he wanted X-rays but don’t open the bag.
I don't think I have ever been around a bull that was that aggressive.  That would be time to get a new bull.  However, my mother is concerned the longhorns will be wrestling with each other to get to the feed and inadvertently knock down my Dad before he can get out of the way.  They have plenty of grass to eat, but love the feed pellets like it is candy.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2022, 09:38:00 PM »
  THE FIRST CYCLIST SAID SOMETHING DEROGATORY to the bull, like "you're a cow" or something, in a dismissive tone.
Thus setting up the other cyclist to take the brunt of a an angry bull.
  I guess a ten mm or so would take a bull at close range, they use em on grizzlies I'm led to believe.
but I wouldn't get close enough to find out in a situation like that
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."