Author Topic: Anyone know of a soap scum remover that actually works?  (Read 1383 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Anyone know of a soap scum remover that actually works?
« on: March 14, 2022, 12:06:37 PM »
Seems like soap scum just laughs at the "new and improved" bathroom cleaners.
Anyone know of one that still work like the old ones use to without having to resort to pulling out a belt sander?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Anyone know of a soap scum remover that actually works?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 12:07:25 PM »
Not a chemical cleaner, but have you tried those bristle brushes you chuck up into an electric drill?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 12:09:57 PM »
Not a chemical cleaner, but have you tried those bristle brushes you chuck up into an electric drill?

Yes, they work but not happy doing it that way I'm lazy.
The old cleaners I could just spray and come back 10 minutes later and rinse with no to very little scum left. The newer ones even after 3 application 90% of the soap scum is still there.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 12:49:27 PM »
I'm thinking of a new ad campaign by the enviro lefties - GO GREEN, EMBRACE THE SCUM!

SOME reformulations are beneficial - we really don't need lead in gasoline or the paint on baby furniture, or heavy metals in food, but the regulators have gotten carried away, drunk with their own power, and as a result there are SO many things that no longer work very well thanks to government meddling - cleaners, weed killers, insecticide . . . even your unleaded gasoline has been diluted with alcohol. =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 01:11:15 PM »
Detcord.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 01:18:07 PM »
Some of that spray on wheel cleaner might work....

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 01:20:12 PM »
After doing some reading I'm just going to have to put some elbow grease into it and supposedly switching to a liquid soap prevents soap scum.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 01:33:23 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 01:43:07 PM »
Go to a real hardware store and get some real TSP.
Oaxalic acid is another option.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 02:20:58 PM »
The bristle brushes in the power drill work great.

So do the Magic Eraser pads.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 02:27:53 PM »
Alternatively:  Maids.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 04:02:26 PM »
Spray bottle full of vinegar with a healthy squirt of dish soap, one tablespoon per cup or so. If you can find cleaning vinegar (6% vs 5%), even better. Fine to let sit on ceramict tile and chromed fixtures. Can discolor stainless if left too long. Use in moderation and wipe away quickly for marble or stone (better yet, don't use at all as repeated use will eventually discolor and roughen the surface).

If you need something stronger, Tractor Supply carries 30% vinegar. I think it's ship-to-store availability only but check locally and see. Careful, though. Used straight, 30% acetic will etch marble surfaces and blacken stainlesss steel. Instantly. Cut it at least 2:1 with RO or distilled water (water:vinegar) before use. Even at 10% strength it will be enough to cause problems on some materials so test before use and use sparingly.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 05:29:10 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2022, 04:05:55 PM »
Alternatively:  Maids.

I tried calling a couple of maid services. When I asked for a hot French maid to be sent over they told me I had called the wrong number.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 04:33:59 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2022, 04:25:44 PM »
I tried calling a couple of maid services. When I asked for a hot French maid to be sent over they told me I called the wrong number.

I remember this from 30 years ago: https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19920306&slug=1479564

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2022, 04:29:11 PM »
I remember this from 30 years ago: https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19920306&slug=1479564
If they did such a good job on your soap scum that you remember them 30 years later, why don't you just give WLJ their number?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2022, 04:33:19 PM »
Cocaine for soap scum? Hadn't thought of that.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2022, 04:46:12 PM »
If they did such a good job on your soap scum that you remember them 30 years later, why don't you just give WLJ their number?

Is 'doing a good job on your soap scum' what the kids are calling it these days?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2022, 05:05:02 PM »
Is 'doing a good job on your soap scum' what the kids are calling it these days?
Yes.  Kids are kind of stupid these days.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2022, 05:29:49 PM »
Bar Keepers Friend
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2022, 05:49:00 PM »
Bar Keepers Friend

Yep, which starts with oxalis acid. These days I just buy a 5lb bag of oxalic since I use it for bees. My water turns everything rust colored since I have iron issues so I mix some oxalic, dawn dish soap and vinegar in a spray bottle. I usually use that after I attack the scum mechanically with a magic eraser.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2022, 08:29:29 PM »

Jesus Christ... I opened that expecting to see a date from the late 1970s or early 1980s...

Holy hell... I'm old...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2022, 01:16:08 AM »
I am satisfied with using these 2 items.

Spray an area, come back in 5 or 10 minutes and give it some brushing. Spray off with shower massage...

Don't need to put in much elbow grease at all.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2022, 12:50:28 AM »
I use oven cleaner. The odorless kind. Spray that in the shower, let it sit a while and hit it with a scrub brush. Wear goggles and gloves and old waterproof shoes or rubber boots.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2022, 06:16:35 AM »
^
And turn on the bathroom fans.

TSP, the former "King":

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/why-are-phosphates-in-detergent-so-dangerous-12268795.html

quoting the link:
History
Phosphates began to replace soap for household purposes after World Way II, due to availability of resources and a growing problem of poor cleaning performance due to hard water.

Negative Impact
Phosphates carry into waste systems and are hard to break down by ordinary wastewater processing systems. As they carry into streams, lakes and rivers, they increase algae growth and subsequently decrease the oxygen that is needed for healthy aquatic life, and contribute to the pollution of water bodies.
end quote

I believe some cleaners like dishwasher detergents still contain trisodium phophate (TSP), the effective evil ingredient,  You might try a solution of Calgon.  I also seem to recall that some farm stores sold TSP-based cleaners, but that might be obsolete information.

I never tried this, but I suspect that a generous sprinkling of table salt sprayed lightly with water would loosen things up.  Seems the sodium would replace the calcium "soapate" in enough of the scum molecules of calcium "soapate" to loosen things up.

NaCl + Calcium "soapate" ->(partial reaction) Na "soapate" (soluble) and calcium chloride (also soluble.)

Just looks that way to me.

Caution:  After you clean the tub it will be very slippery.

I used to think that environmental concerns were all "good," and made the world a better place to live in, but as regulations get more and more onerous,  I'm starting to wonder about that.  I was thinking the other day that EPA should stand for Excessive Prohibitions Agency.  I'm sure I'm not the first to think that.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 06:49:27 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2022, 10:43:29 AM »
^
And turn on the bathroom fans.

I used to think that environmental concerns were all "good," and made the world a better place to live in, but as regulations get more and more onerous,  I'm starting to wonder about that.  I was thinking the other day that EPA should stand for Excessive Prohibitions Agency.  I'm sure I'm not the first to think that.

Terry, 230RN
It is the classic case of an agency seeking something to do. This is a example of the law of diminishing returns- all the low hanging fruit AKA gross contaminants were either taken care of forty years ago or exported to nimbyland.  They have worked through the mid level and now  are trying to get the last apple on the top limb, regardless of cost-benefit.