Author Topic: Help with soffits  (Read 524 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Help with soffits
« on: April 22, 2015, 09:51:41 PM »
I'm doing some work on the house.
Well actually I decided to get someone to paint it after one of the guys I called to pressure washed offered to do it for a decent price.
The house has wood soffits (some sort of plywood) the one on the backside of the house is pretty much falling apart.
I'm going to replace it with vinyl this weekend. How much with the holes vrs without the holes should I use?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Marnoot

• friend
Re: Help with soffits
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 10:11:10 PM »
I'm going to replace it with vinyl this weekend. How much with the holes vrs without the holes should I use?

Kind of depends on what kind of vents you have in your roof. Ridge vent, the little cap/turtle vents, eave vents, etc. You can look up what the intake requirements are for what kind and how many exhausts are in your roof, then look up the equivalent square inches of open intake each piece of ventilated soffit creates, then just make sure you use enough mixed with non-ventilated to average the correct # of square inches of intake per foot/whatever.

For a rough idea, my soffits average about 1/3 ventilated. 1 ventilated piece of soffit, then 2 non-ventilated, then 1 vented, etc. I seem to recall that's about the same ratio they used on my previous house as well.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Help with soffits
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 10:15:23 PM »
The original soffits only have maybe 5 or 6 rectangular (maybe 6x10") vents on the 70' length of one side.
As for the roof there is a gable vent on each end and a powered fan in the middle of the roof.
Its just a ranch house so its a simple roof.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods