Author Topic: Garden problems HELP  (Read 3830 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Garden problems HELP
« on: August 07, 2011, 08:32:42 PM »
Yellow cucumbers?

Funky cucumber leaves.

Funky squash leaves.

Spots on my red peepers.

The squash and cukes are right next to each other, could they have cross bread?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: Garden problems HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 08:41:17 PM »
The squash picture gave it away to me.  Powdery mildew:  http://nourishingwords.net/2010/08/13/powdery-mildew-strikes-in-the-squash-patch/

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 10:28:22 PM »
It's just the hand of god reaching out to tell you that no man should have to eat squash or bell peppers. So he got a little crazy and screwed up your pickles too. Things happen.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:42:06 PM »
It's just the hand of god reaching out to tell you that no man should have to eat squash or bell peppers. So he got a little crazy and screwed up your pickles too. Things happen.  =D
Thats pretty funny. I don't eat a lot of vegetables period.
But I like squash on the grill.I won't eat it cooked any other way. Well I have not had it deep fried or wrapped in bacon.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
A few months-mods

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 10:59:04 PM »

Which is sad because bell peppers are awesome.  I'm with you on the squash though.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 11:16:44 PM »
The cucumbers got too big and are going to seed.  They do that if you don't keep them picked.  Pick them off and feed them to the chickens.

Could be powdery mildew, but the spots on the peppers may just be sunburn.  Again, pick off the bad ones and carry on.

Spots on peepers are a larger problem than spots on peppers.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 11:30:11 PM »
Bell peppers are awesome if you let them turn orange or red. Seems everyone eats them at nasty green though. Well, everyone except Mr. Woodchuck who eats them one day before I think they are orange or red enough. Same program he has for the cantaloupe, I'd swear they are professional fruit thumpers.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 01:03:45 AM »
Powdery mildew.

I seem to recall my mother using maybe, "Seven"?  Google isn't turning up a product for that though.  Also - it might not be food save.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 01:27:51 AM »
You may be thinking of Sevin, which is an insecticide, pretty good stuff but not "organic".
I've had the same problem with my peppers this year but we are having an extremely hot and dry summer. You may want to get up close and personal to look for insects that may be causing some of the damage. Squash bugs will infest any PCMCIA cucubrit family- cucumbers, squash, melons...
I've also had big problems with the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug this year. It is a nasty little recent Asian import causing lots of damage.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 02:35:02 AM »
How are you watering?

If you are doing a sprinkler try doing a ground soak instead. And I mean ground soak. It will keep the water off the leaves and produce but it will get plenty of water to the plants.

Sevin dust works good. For organic you have to pull the bugs off by hand or blast them off with a hose.

This is a bad year for a garden.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »
The peppers are supposed to be red.
I water with a hose and only the dirt no overhead watering.
Besides some other herbs those are my only plants. I trying to get back into gardening bit by bit.
A few months-mods

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 09:41:05 PM »
I ran my powdery mildew thing by my brother (who's been working at the greenhouse for 10 years) and he agreed, but didn't look at the pictures.  His immediate reaction was that it's probably too wet in the garden as that's when we usually see powdery mildew pop up in the greenhouse.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 10:29:24 PM »
I'm getting the same thing on my peppers and it's fr sure not too much water here. Haven't had enough rain to settle the dust since the middle of June.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams