Author Topic: The "Ultimate Incivility:" Keeping Ebola Guy Out of the U.S.  (Read 1018 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
The "Ultimate Incivility:" Keeping Ebola Guy Out of the U.S.
« on: October 02, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
Caplan's "Ultimate Incivility:" Keeping Ebola Guy Out of the U.S.
[Alternate Title: Libertarian Psychosis]
http://www.unz.com/isteve/caplans-ultimate-incivility-keeping-ebola-guy-out-of-the-us/

Quote from: isteve
   The Ultimate Incivility
    Bryan Caplan

… My two central maxims:

First, remain calm when someone questions people’s ideas or behavior. After all, maybe their ideas are false, and maybe their behavior is wrong.

Second, take offense when someone questions people’s presence or existence. When you complain about a person’s being around irrespective of their behavior, you go too far. … That is not cool.

The same goes, of course, for mainstream conversations about immigration. Sure, people enumerate specific complaints about foreigners’ ideas and behavior. But the goal is not to change foreigners’ minds or reform their behavior – hence near-universal apathy for keyhole solutions. The goal, rather, is to rationalize deportation and exclusion of foreigners, regardless of how they comport themselves.

An old adage urges us to “Hate the sin but love the sinner.” My standards of civility are much less demanding but follow the same format. Getting rid of bad ideas and bad behavior is a worthy goal. Trying to get rid of people themselves, however, is the ultimate incivility

For example, the “ultimate incivility” would be for anyone to be so morally obscene as to to question Ebola Guy “being around” in America. Do you realize that there are subhuman vermin suggesting that maybe the government shouldn’t have let Ebola Guy into the U.S. from Liberia to vomit all over Dallas?

Caplan is a sad example of the libertarian sort who don't much like other Americans to the point where he not only wants third worlders to come and harm the employment of Americans, he thinks it is wrong to keep out those with communicable fatal diseases.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: The "Ultimate Incivility:" Keeping Ebola Guy Out of the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 11:20:25 PM »
This person (?) apparently doesn't have even a fundamental grasp of what "quarantine" means.

It seems to me that a far greater "incivility" is to allow one infected person to wander around, spreading the infection to unknown numbers of other people, in the holy name of "civility."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 09:21:43 AM »
This person (?) apparently doesn't have even a fundamental grasp of what "quarantine" means.

It seems to me that a far greater "incivility" is to allow one infected person to wander around, spreading the infection to unknown numbers of other people, in the holy name of "civility."

Imagine if they would have done that with Hiv or drug resistant tuberculosis early on. Political correctness>>> public health.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 09:37:44 AM »
HIV was pretty widespread before they figured it out. It hides well. And it woulda caused a PC apocalypse if they quarantined it's biggest vector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 10:12:03 AM »
First read the title as "Keeping Enola Gay Out of the U.S.

Was wondering when I left and why it couldn't return.

No back to your irregularly scheduled thread drift.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 03:47:55 PM »
We realize of course that Caplan had no mention of Ebola in his post?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner