Author Topic: Marines order new batch of M72 LAW  (Read 30398 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Marines order new batch of M72 LAW
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2009, 04:44:32 PM »
With about half of them being misfires and squibs because it's hot and humid out and the thing got oil into the 22 rounds, fouling them...?

22LR is fun for sporting and possibly good for assassination at close range if the rounds are kept in pristine and humidity controlled containment...

...but it sucks as a high reliability round in general, especially in adverse conditions. You can't make 22LR proofed against moisture and oil fouling. They go bad in damp. Quickly.
The price of .22 rimfire ammo hasn't gone up nearly as fast as the price of, well, everything else over the last 30 years or so. Maybe that's why there seem to be more misfires today than in days of yore; the ammo manufacturers had to find SOME way of keeping the price down, and, clearly, quality suffered.

I did once have the opportunity to fire an American 180, a .22lr machinegun. Nice . . . it would empty a 177 round drum in just under six seconds - and worked flawlessly.  =D

But I don't know that I'd want to bet my life on it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2009, 04:55:14 PM »
I'm not advocating using the M79 O/U for dynamic-entry room clearing (the 12ga. semi-autos and M-4 subguns are better tools for that.) I advocate the M79 O/U for shoot-HE-through-a-window room clearing, supressive fire on a fixed or slow-moving soft target, and other soft target uses. Leave the 40mm pistols for the Hellboy fans....

Besides, why use 40mm buckshot when you have HE and WP rounds....  =D

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2009, 06:59:26 PM »
Me, too. With the M203 I had Kentucky windage on lock - see it, hit it. Only weapon I was better with was the M60.  

I never played around much with the 203, but I'm ashamed to say I was expert in grenades, but only so-so with the AlternativeLifestyleR-15.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2009, 07:26:54 PM »

Nope....they should be carrying O/U versions in case they need a second shot.....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
What's the big deal? Someone blows the door off the hinges, then you stick the business end around the corner and start hosing...

Oh. Hearts and minds...

Never mind...

Blog under construction

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2009, 10:52:11 PM »
I never played around much with the 203, but I'm ashamed to say I was expert in grenades, but only so-so with the AlternativeLifestyleR-15.   =)

Don't be. Good with hand grenades means you have a good arm and a good eye.  During POIQT at Benning I missed Expert by a whisker because my last grenade stopped just outside the bunker entrance. Another half-roll and it would've dropped down the step and gone in. I was very pissed.

I fired Marksman with the M-16, the lowest Q-score I got. Everything else besides the 203 and the 60 I fired Sharpshooter. Thanks to the clerks and jerks the only one that shows on my DD-214 is the rifle. Figures. ;/
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2009, 10:55:04 PM »
I was expert on grenade... The first thing I figured was that the instructor, who was telling me to throw it like a baseball, was wrong... With the spoon by my thumb it felt more like a football... And I knew how footballs worked... So...

Blog under construction

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2009, 05:03:38 AM »
Do they actually advise to never trust that the fuse will be as long as it's supposed to be?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2009, 11:13:49 AM »
I was expert on grenade... The first thing I figured was that the instructor, who was telling me to throw it like a baseball, was wrong... With the spoon by my thumb it felt more like a football... And I knew how footballs worked... So...

But on that history channel show they said you could throw the German WWII grenade cause it has a stick.  They even demonstrated throwing it really well and then threw the Allied grenade like a wimp and that proved you couldn't throw it as far.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2009, 12:04:59 PM »

But on that history channel show they said you could throw the German WWII grenade cause it has a stick.  They even demonstrated throwing it really well and then threw the Allied grenade like a wimp and that proved you couldn't throw it as far.   =D

Had somebody throw it like Lamar threw the javelin in Revenge Of The Nerds, didn't they? Only it wasn't "...specially designed for Lamar's limp-wristed throwing style."

=D
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2009, 11:49:52 PM »
They kept repeating "Now, these were made by the lowest bidder, and fuse costs extra money, so some of them may be a little on the "cheap" side."

Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2009, 12:08:26 AM »

Had somebody throw it like Lamar threw the javelin in Revenge Of The Nerds, didn't they? Only it wasn't "...specially designed for Lamar's limp-wristed throwing style."

=D
Well, they did that straight armed over the head throw that I have seen shown as the "proper" way.  It seems like a good way to only throw it 10 yards.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2009, 12:10:33 AM »
Well, they did that straight armed over the head throw that I have seen shown as the "proper" way.  It seems like a good way to only throw it 10 yards.

They were probably the kids who grew up throwing snowballs like that, too, and then got nailed hard by all the other kids winding up and pitching them like fastballs.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2009, 12:42:47 AM »
Do they actually advise to never trust that the fuse will be as long as it's supposed to be?

Huh?  The fuse doesn't matter until you've already tossed it.  So what would it matter if it's a second shorter than advertised?  Kinda like knowing your machine gun's exact rate of fire.  Interesting, but none too critical to the grunt in the field. 

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2009, 02:00:09 AM »
Some folks feel the need to let them "cook" for a second or two if they are tossing them into a place where they may have someone toss them back out...

Or, conversely, if they're trying for an airburst.

Personally, even with just practice grenades, I didn't like the whole concept.

We had one target which was supposed to be several Ivans... I hit the center one in the chest with the grenade, and the instructor told me that if I'd missed, it would have gone out of the impact area. So I asked him for another chance, called my target, and hit one of the kneeling Ivans. Low.

Blog under construction

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2009, 02:18:32 AM »

Huh?  The fuse doesn't matter until you've already tossed it.  So what would it matter if it's a second shorter than advertised?  Kinda like knowing your machine gun's exact rate of fire.  Interesting, but none too critical to the grunt in the field. 

Bogie said what I was about to about airburst and preventing someone from playing hot potato with your grenade, so I'll just add that a good demo man can see that the fuses in your grenades burn for a uniform amount of time so you'll have consistency in it and can time your offensive or defensive use of the grenade.

There was a guy in my company in Germany who'd been a Combat Engineer in the Reserves before activating and going into Infantry. He was good with the explosives and pyrotechnics and told us how it was done. He liked to cop as much of the leftover explosives as he could during execises and stash them in his room, then at odd moments he'd drop a grenade- or arty simulator out a window, usually in the middle of the night. Stirred things up from time to time.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2009, 09:11:57 AM »
I'll just add that a good demo man can see that the fuses in your grenades...
Is it an odd thing that when I read that, I thought of TF2?

Personally the most I have ever had the pleasure to use is a Thunderflash. I'm not sure how well I'd fare with a ticking bomb in my hand, I might panic the first time.  :O
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2009, 09:38:53 AM »

This is a pretty version of a weapon designed for SEALS in Vietnam.  4 shot pump action 40mm launcher.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2009, 09:45:23 AM »
I wonder if MetalStorm would consider making some kind of LAW alternative. Assuming they haven't already.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2009, 10:16:23 AM »

This is a pretty version of a weapon designed for SEALS in Vietnam.  4 shot pump action 40mm launcher.

I've seen the blued version, and it's even prettier.  One of the most beautiful weapons I've ever seen.  Drool. 

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2009, 10:49:59 AM »
It looks like something Hellboy would keep as an ankle backup. :D

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2009, 02:12:23 PM »
Bogie want.

Admit it, guys...

Someone points that thing at you, you're gonna be wanting fresh undies...

I'd settle for 2-3 shots - cut that sucker down a little...

Blog under construction

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2009, 03:42:25 PM »

Ohhh...God yes. Wantwantwantwantwant.

Though I wonder if there are people out there that would rather have a lever action version.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2009, 03:59:09 PM »
I wonder why the old Thumper (M78?) wasn't at least a double barrel. 

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2009, 04:07:51 PM »
Reconsider time - stared at it a little more, and it needs that long pump... And if you cut the barrel/magazine down, you'll only lose a little bit of length but you'll lose one whole shot.

Still, the sucker is So Majorly Cool... I'm surprised I haven't seen one at Knob Creek.

I wonder if they make a 37mm version...

Wait... They could cut it down a full-shell length, and more, if they used a handle instead of a foreend...

Hmmm...

Come to think of it, an 8 gauge or 4 gauge shotgun, using reduced loads of course, could also be interesting...

Blog under construction