Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Biscuits

<< < (2/17) > >>

charby:
I used butter and mayo in my biscuit dough

K Frame:
Mtnbkr made a batch some years ago that were literally oozing lard. I called them his lard pucks.

They were freaking INSANELY good.

I grew up in the North, so I don't have anything even remotely approaching a family biscuit tradition. Up north it was all about yeast raised dinner rolls.

BobR:
I use lard and buttermilk in my biscuits. Just good ole' southern buttermilk biscuits to go with my fried chicken, mashed taters, corn and pan gravy. That is basically the menu this coming sat when my daughter visits.

I am sure most people know but just in case, always freeze your lard and then use a grater to grate it over the flour mixture before cutting it in. My recipe calls for 1 cup of lard so I make one cup rounds and freeze them that way. Lard will last nearly forever in the freezer.

bob

French G.:
I've been in a mood trying to get biscuits right. I had them close on my first attempt using crisco because I am not sure if a pork allergy deals with lard or not. Local Virginia mill with soft winter wheat flour. Then I got what I really wanted, a bag of White Lily. So far unimpressed I guess the hipster rumors of them moving the mill changed the product. I will be back to it soon, try a different grease. Beef tallow, bear, and duck are the current plottings.

charby:
Duck fat biscuits sounds mighty tasty.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version