Author Topic: So should we all move to Montana?  (Read 12057 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: So should we all move to Montana?
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 11:44:56 AM »
Thing is, no one puts a gun to folks heads to make them buy from big box stores.  I generally avoid them if possible.  Not for any reason besides quality concerns and bad service. 

I don't disagree with that at all, does not mean I have to like it.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2008, 12:39:59 PM »
Thing is, no one puts a gun to folks heads to make them buy from big box stores.  I generally avoid them if possible.  Not for any reason besides quality concerns and bad service. 

I don't disagree with that at all, does not mean I have to like it.

I know.  And I agree with ya.   Problem is that the small shops generally cannot compete on prices.  And that's what most people care about, short term gain.  They don't look at the cost of poor quality on a long enough time scale.   Another problem is that sometimes small shops don't realize they need to compete on quality and service, as it's the only advantages they have in their favor.  Not all, not even most, but too large a percentage just try to enact protectionism (ban the big box stores from our neighborhood, zoning laws, et al) without trying to compete on merit alone. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 03:19:10 PM »
So should we all move to Montana?

The sheep with the red "X" marks painted on their sides kick real hard...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 06:33:24 PM »
Another problem is that sometimes small shops don't realize they need to compete on quality and service, as it's the only advantages they have in their favor.  Not all, not even most, but too large a percentage just try to enact protectionism (ban the big box stores from our neighborhood, zoning laws, et al) without trying to compete on merit alone. 

If they're a niche market, they can definitely compete on some things if they're wise. Gun stores come to mind. A lot of dusty-overpriced-guns places fuss that Wal-Mart is putting them out of business, but they're putting themselves out of business. One I know of, besides lots of classics and milsurps, seems to have gotten import contracts for some guns and ammo. They move a lot of Saigas as well as new import ammo, the latter for cheaper than Wal-Mart's ammo. It brings people in the door. They realize that people have access to the web, so they don't price things higher than you can find them on the web.

And a lot of people will still pay a little more if they recieve prompt and attentive service in any sort of store. It's when someone goes in a small store and recieves the same bored indifference as a big box that they see no reason to return to it.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 06:33:16 AM »
So should we all move to Montana?

The sheep with the red "X" marks painted on their sides kick real hard...

I read that to my wife last night and she LHFAO.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 08:53:40 AM »
Quote from: MW
And a lot of people will still pay a little more if they recieve prompt and attentive service in any sort of store. It's when someone goes in a small store and recieves the same bored indifference as a big box that they see no reason to return to it

Amen! Way too many gunstores are less store and more hang out spot for cranky old men. Some of the places I've been to have treated me with just short of outright hostility as soon as I walked in.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 09:01:34 AM »
Quote from: MW
And a lot of people will still pay a little more if they recieve prompt and attentive service in any sort of store. It's when someone goes in a small store and recieves the same bored indifference as a big box that they see no reason to return to it

Amen! Way too many gunstores are less store and more hang out spot for cranky old men. Some of the places I've been to have treated me with just short of outright hostility as soon as I walked in.

I always wonder how that kind pays the rent.

There's gunstores two near work, one useless, one good. One I gave up on, it was like that, and they never sold anything, all overpriced and covered with dust, quite literally covered with dust. The other, I can see how they stay in business. Piles of Saigas arrive, piles of Saigas are gone. Piles of Mosin-Nagants arrive, piles of Mosins go. Plus they're friendly and don't look at you funny if you pick up the $3000 rifles, as long as you pick them up properly. (They were shooting each other with airsoft MP40's last time I was in there, too.) cheesy

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 01:14:57 PM »
I don't want to move to Montana.....can't they just come to Texas and help us run off all the Yankees?....maybe bring a few mountains to block off Austin with?.....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 03:38:53 PM »
I don't want to move to Montana.....can't they just come to Texas and help us run off all the Yankees?....maybe bring a few mountains to block off Austin with?.....  grin

We got our own "Yankees" to deal with - only they call them "Californians"  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

LAK

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 08:18:38 PM »
Any published reaction to the Heller ruling from the legislature in Montana?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 09:16:48 PM »
Any published reaction to the Heller ruling from the legislature in Montana?

Haven't seen that yet, but Sen. John Tester made at least one of the main articles about it saying it was great, forget if it is was CNN, MSNBC, or what.  He and Rehburg are pretty good on gun control, need to watch Baucus since he was the swing vote on the last AWB though generally he is on our side.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2008, 06:27:40 AM »
(They were shooting each other with airsoft MP40's last time I was in there, too.)

lol, sounds like my kind of gun store, Smiley It is nice to find one where the people are great. When I find one that is the store that I do business with even if they may be a little more than the other, or at least with a certain employee if they are great.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic