Author Topic: Cop or Soldier?  (Read 19313 times)

Regolith

• friend
Cop or Soldier?
« on: January 18, 2012, 03:59:52 AM »
Take the quiz:

http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=cop-soldier

I only got 16 out of 21.

The scary thing is the only reason I got that high of a score is that I know enough about some of the equipment to pick out the subtleties (and I picked out one cop because of his haircut).  =|

Edit: I should note that this post isn't meant for cop bashing, but rather as a reaction against the militarization of the police.  The roles of the military and law enforcement are not compatible, and anything that blurs that line is extremely dangerous to both liberty and innocent lives.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:14:09 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Cop or Soldier?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 04:17:52 AM »
I got 15 out of 21.
The scary part is that it can be that hard to tell the cops from military.
Not a big fan of militarized police forces.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 08:32:16 AM »
Missed a couple. Such as the cops in full ACU with matching IBA with the side plates and epaulets. Also missed the one where the cop was sitting behind an M60 with a freaking AT-4 strapped down next to him. (Would anyone care to tell me why a police officer would ever need a damned AT-4?)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 08:58:12 AM »
Also 16 out of 21 . . . but on a few, the only way I could tell "cop" was by the badge or shoulder patch.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 08:59:52 AM »
Missed a couple. Such as the cops in full ACU with matching IBA with the side plates and epaulets. Also missed the one where the cop was sitting behind an M60 with a freaking AT-4 strapped down next to him. (Would anyone care to tell me why a police officer would ever need a damned AT-4?)

Dogs.  Very dangerous.  Shoot on sight, even if serving warrant to wrong house.  Dog houses must be knocked out with AT4.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »
13 and I should know better.  However, a lot of the Soldiers weren't Soldiers, they were Marines.

I can understand where a PD would need a squad or two of "specialized" officers for certain cases.  But not the whole damn force.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 09:55:30 AM »
12 out of 20, and there's no good way to tell. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 10:20:50 AM »
20 outa 21   you guys throwing it?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

chefman

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 10:33:50 AM »
Got 18 right, yea the AT-4 threw me off.
Just because you stepped in it don't mean you have to stand in it....just sayin'

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
14 out of 21. On a lot of them I had to guess based upon objects in the surroundings, as I don't know the equipment really well. I also figured that the guys with dirty uniforms were probably military, and guys using makeup mirrors to apply face paint were not military.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 12:31:03 PM »
15 of 21.  Very Very Scary.  :O
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 12:47:23 PM »
17 out of 21.
Hint, most cops in the images did not have covers on their headgear.

I was thrown by the belt fed MG in one image and the one LEO on the helo in another.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 01:06:06 PM »
17 out of 21.

Aside from the cops with anti-tank weapons, the thing that bothered me the most was the police uniforms. These uniforms were (often) desert camo in areas that are lush and green.  :facepalm:

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 01:34:06 PM »
What's the doff between desert and urban camo. There will be a quizz
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 01:40:54 PM »
What's the doff between desert and urban camo. There will be a quizz
ACU doesn't blend in with anything but ugly couches.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 01:45:06 PM »
ACU doesn't blend in with anything but ugly couches.

Gravel pits
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 05:53:27 PM »
17 out of 21.
Hint, most cops in the images did not have covers on their headgear.

I was thrown by the belt fed MG in one image and the one LEO on the helo in another.

Only reason I got the LEO on the little-bird right was because I noticed the huge spotlight hanging off the left side and went "yeah, that's not .mil issue."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 06:06:13 PM »
Only reason I got the LEO on the little-bird right was because I noticed the huge spotlight hanging off the left side and went "yeah, that's not .mil issue."

I got that one because the helo had a bright green paint job instead of the "dark green" paint job military choppers usually have.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
16/21

On many of them, the tip off is that the cops will stack a much larger force at an entry way, or otherwise clump together on the streets. The military were usually much more spread out and will have 2-3 in a picture when on the street.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 11:40:35 PM »

19 out of 21. I need to drink now.

I got that one because the helo had a bright green paint job instead of the "dark green" paint job military choppers usually have.

Yea, I got all of the helicopter questions right as well. Remembered the stuff we bolted onto the side of aircraft for police.

I think this is exactly what the folks that drafted the Constitution meant by "standing army". It is not a good thing that the police have such toys. They unfortunately will want to use them.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 12:44:46 AM »
16 out of 21, imo the cops seem to use armored vehicles that wouldn't last an hour in modern combat, but I thought the hippie looking dudes were cops. 
The heli pics didn't fool me at all, I got them all correct.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 02:14:30 AM »
On many of them, the tip off is that the cops will stack a much larger force at an entry way, or otherwise clump together on the streets. The military were usually much more spread out and will have 2-3 in a picture when on the street.

Nope.  That too, but the real tip-off is in the obvious bias of the person who created the quiz.  No one would create such a quiz unless he was trying to make a point about the militarization of the police--damn good point, but it shows.

I don't know if cops, when they're all militaried up actually tend to add gratuitous amounts of black, but the first slide was the tip-off that that would be a theme, and it carried over pretty well.  All the really flattering shots but one were soldiers.  All the really goofy, stupid looking ones were cops.  The in-between ones?  Well, the dude with the black something-or-other and that three-point sling I wasn't sure on, because the black jumped out, but I went with the sling as being military.  Maybe cops use military-style slings too, but in a pic set like this, a cop is much more likely to be, in the immortal words of the Dude, waving the *expletive deleted*ing gun around. More importantly though, he has his hand open and facing out in a universally understood non-hostile manner.  And he's got the kind of focused, intense, serene look that makes him look all kinds of...um, I'll be in my bunk....  Yeah, that dude's a soldier, because no cop is gonna look that awesome in this set of pics.

The exercise with the people in the background hanging out?  Not cops.  Makes the exercise look all friendly-like.
All the jokes about black helicopter green made the helos easy, even though they're the reverse of the general rule.  Difference?  Cops don't use helicopters to look menacing.  They do use various armored vehicles to spend way too much taxpayer money in order to look scary.  Helicopters are for, and I could be wrong here, but I'm guessing, catching speeders on the freeway, monitoring evacuations or riots, etc. They're out of sight of the unruly public, so plain ol' shiny green is fine.  Soldiers have the slight "they shoot back" issue going on and need flat paint.

Hey, Watson, it's elementary, and you don't even need to know the gear, just the bias.

19/21.  The guy standing in a wood looking vaguely contemplative is definitely out of place with the cops.  And the one with the guys desert fatigues, a row of 'em shot from a funny angle?  One of 'em a kind of a dopey expression on his face, that combined with the black sunglasses on the guy behind him got me guessing the wrong way.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 02:16:08 AM »
16 out of 21, imo the cops seem to use armored vehicles that wouldn't last an hour in modern combat,

Well, they don't usually come up against guys armed with RPGs. 99.999999% of the time they'll never come up against a threat truly dangerous enough to use even a lightly armored APC in the first place.  :facepalm:

And if they do, we already have an organization to deal with the situation: it's called the National Guard.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:19:58 AM by Regolith »

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 08:10:33 AM »
Nope.  That too, but the real tip-off is in the obvious bias of the person who created the quiz.  No one would create such a quiz unless he was trying to make a point about the militarization of the police--damn good point, but it shows.

what she said  in spades

and this?
"And if they do, we already have an organization to deal with the situation: it's called the National Guard. "

who can tell us why this is a fail? 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 08:45:23 AM »
Well, they don't usually come up against guys armed with RPGs. 99.999999% of the time they'll never come up against a threat truly dangerous enough to use even a lightly armored APC in the first place.  :facepalm:

And if they do, we already have an organization to deal with the situation: it's called the National Guard.

Actually there are lots of times that a lightly armored APC comes in real handy in a stand off situation.  They work great if you have to go in and rescue civilians and/or wounded out from the line of fire.