Author Topic: Is this legal?  (Read 1768 times)

Regolith

• friend
Is this legal?
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:11:49 AM »
Obama apparently has multiple overseas fundraisers scheduled for the next several months:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/07/busy-month-for-obama-campaign-with-fundraisers-in-switzerland-sweden-paris-and-communist-china/

It’s going to be a very busy month for the Obama Campaign.

Fundraisers are scheduled in Switzerland:

Sweden:

Paris:

And Communist China:

So, except for the one in Sweden which appears to be for Americans abroad, are any of these fundraisers legal? I thought that it wasn't legal for politicians to raise funds from foreigners. I seem to remember that there was a big dust up in 2008 because Obama's website failed to verify whether or not credit cards used to donate to his campaign were based in the US, as required by election laws. How is this any different?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Is this legal?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 02:50:02 AM »
Who's gonna go after him? Holder?

Any criticism will just be labled as racist.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 07:47:31 AM »
Is it legal to hold a fund raiser overseas? Probably.

Is it legal to take donations from non-US citizens? No.

So, obviously, all of Obama's donors will be US citizens. Very convenient.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:46:58 AM »
Obama apparently has multiple overseas fundraisers scheduled for the next several months:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/07/busy-month-for-obama-campaign-with-fundraisers-in-switzerland-sweden-paris-and-communist-china/

So, except for the one in Sweden which appears to be for Americans abroad, are any of these fundraisers legal? I thought that it wasn't legal for politicians to raise funds from foreigners. I seem to remember that there was a big dust up in 2008 because Obama's website failed to verify whether or not credit cards used to donate to his campaign were based in the US, as required by election laws. How is this any different?

If you go to one of the sources he links, it indicates that the China gig is for American donors. Of course, Fly320s is probably right.

Besides, how many of those expat's, especially in China, are overseeing outsourced jobs?  :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 12:36:34 PM »
He's simply using Americans (George Clooney held a fundraiser for Obama in France or Switzerland recently, IIRC).  The claim is that all the money came from American ex-pats.  However, it appears that he's using Americans to launder the money, so that it given to the campaign from "American" sources. 

One more reason not to vote for him.  If the French like him, then vote for the other guy.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 12:57:13 PM »
Is it legal for foreigners to give indirectly to Obama through his PACs? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 01:00:09 PM »
Is it legal for foreigners to give indirectly to Obama through his PACs? 

You'd need to ask Algore that question.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 07:40:55 PM »
From the FEC FAQ webpage:

Can non-US citizens contribute?

Foreign nationals are prohibited from making any contributions or expenditures in connection with any election in the U.S. Please note, however, that "green card" holders (i.e., individuals lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the U.S.) are not considered foreign nationals and, as a result, may contribute. For additional information, consult our "Foreign Nationals" brochure.

So the answer is "No" if they raise money from non-citizens.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 07:47:03 PM »
Course, this is all assuming they give a rats ass
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 07:59:18 PM »
So the answer is "No" if they raise money from non-citizens.   

Only if the Republicans do it.

The Exalted One is exempt from all legal/ethical/moral constraints.

:(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 11:05:01 PM »
From the FEC FAQ webpage:

Can non-US citizens contribute?

Foreign nationals are prohibited from making any contributions or expenditures in connection with any election in the U.S. Please note, however, that "green card" holders (i.e., individuals lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the U.S.) are not considered foreign nationals and, as a result, may contribute. For additional information, consult our "Foreign Nationals" brochure.

Uh, if they weren't foreign nationals, they wouldn't need green cards.  :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 11:45:49 PM »
Maybe Romney can get some of his off shore bankers to contribute to his campaign!  =D
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 10:48:44 AM »

Uh, if they weren't foreign nationals, they wouldn't need green cards.  :facepalm:

Green card holders are classified as "US Residents", I believe, even though they are not US Citizens.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought