Author Topic: Bond Villain Level: Unlocked  (Read 1051 times)

Regolith

• friend
Bond Villain Level: Unlocked
« on: May 28, 2015, 01:38:55 AM »
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-los-angeles-minimum-wage-unions-20150526-story.html
Labor leaders, who were among the strongest supporters of the citywide [$15] minimum wage increase approved last week by the Los Angeles City Council, are advocating last-minute changes to the law that could create an exemption for companies with unionized workforces.

Or: The True definition of chutzpah.

Step 1: Get the government to artificially inflate everyone's labor costs.
Step 2: Get unions excepted, making them the cheapest labor in town.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit.

Their only problem might be that it's just too obvious and too hypocritical, even for ultra-progressives to choke down. Then again, progs have never been known for their critical thinking skills...

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Bond Villain Level: Unlocked
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 02:40:29 AM »
I've seen some weird union *expletive deleted*it get accepted by the rank and file.
Several years ago my local had a bunch of remodeling done at the union hall. They went with nnon-union labor because it was cheaper. :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 04:33:38 AM »
I've seen some weird union *expletive deleted*it get accepted by the rank and file.
Several years ago my local had a bunch of remodeling done at the union hall. They went with nnon-union labor because it was cheaper. :facepalm:

That's kind of like that time when a union fired an employee for trying to unionize.

And they wonder why unions are floundering.... :rofl:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 03:59:56 PM »
"With a collective bargaining agreement, a business owner and the employees negotiate an agreement that works for them both. The agreement allows each party to prioritize what is important to them," Hicks said in a statement. "This provision gives the parties the option, the freedom, to negotiate that agreement. And that is a good thing."

If it works for groups of people, shouldn't it also work for individuals?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 04:34:13 PM »
Raise minimum wage to $15 per hour.
Unionize McDonalds stores.
Drop starting union pay rate to $3/hour.

>:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 04:48:49 PM »
Raise minimum wage to $15 per hour.
Unionize McDonalds stores.
Drop starting union pay rate to $3/hour.

>:D

So, they're making it economically necessary for businesses to unionize to keep their labor costs low.  Anybody that doesn't unionize will have to pay higher labor costs.  Once all the places are either unionized or out of business,  the unions strike for higher wages.

4.) Profit.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 09:12:08 PM »
Except not enough businesses will unionize to make a difference and the local cost of living will go up even higher.  Lower paid union workers will be left with less money to deal with it. 

It is amusing that unions are fighting for less wages. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 11:38:11 AM »
Don't forget that many union contracts are indexed as a multiple or percentage of the local minimum wage.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 12:15:54 PM »
Don't forget that many union contracts are indexed as a multiple or percentage of the local minimum wage.
But if they get an exemption, I bet the companies fight any increase in pay.  I'll bet this is for minimum wage union guys or at least places they know will lay workers off if the cost of labor increases.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 04:30:27 PM »
If lightning struck every single SEIU hack (not members) then my belief in a just and benevolent god would be renewed.  Then I would shrug and go back to browsing the internet.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!