Author Topic: NASCAR Turns Left On Guns  (Read 1214 times)

Regolith

• friend
NASCAR Turns Left On Guns
« on: August 31, 2019, 10:52:14 PM »
This probably wasn't the smartest move, given their customer base:

https://freebeacon.com/culture/nascar-denies-ads-for-americas-most-popular-rifle/

NASCAR has decided to reject at least two gun advertisements because of their "gradual shift on guns." The advertisements were from companies they solicited ads from. The ads were for an AR-15, an AK-47 clone and a 9mm handgun. They said they were now specifically rejecting ads for "assault style rifles/sniper rifles".  :facepalm:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

HankB

• friend
Re: NASCAR Turns Left On Guns
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 11:37:19 AM »
OK, the NASCAR organization has made a left turn.

Let's see what the NASCAR drivers have to say in coming weeks.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 12:53:08 PM »
OK, the NASCAR organization has made a left turn.

Let's see what the NASCAR drivers have to say in coming weeks.

... about turning left?  I'm fairly certain they're all for it.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 01:00:22 PM »
Growing up I lived within earshot of Santa Fe Speedway. It was one of the last clay short tracks in the Midwest back then. Spent many a night there and had friends who raced.

I always loved stock car racing, not a hard core fan but it was just part of my life.

I was even a season ticket holder at Chicagoland Raceway. Founders Pass actually, part of the first season ticket holders when it opened.

Around 2010 after the tickets and/or Founders Pass didn't sell on eBay I just let it go away.

I never could put my finger on what it was but as NASCAR become more popular and polished I became less interested.

Now I pay zero attention.

Like all the high testosterone male dominated persuits it's been converged into a safe PC feminized commodity.

Do they celebrate Pride Month yet?

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 01:23:08 PM »
Do they celebrate Pride Month yet?

It's just a matter of time.  Probably in the next year or two.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 07:55:35 PM »
I grew up around racing, even owned a raced a few cars.  I liked watching NASCAR back when it was the Winston Cup, not so much when it became the Sprint Cup.  Gradually slowed down watching it live, would record and watch as I could.  When they went to the mandatory pit stops that was the last straw, I haven't even recorded it since then.

Run the damn cars until they won't go anymore, and trading paint isn't a reason to shut a team down - or even issue a fine.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 05:14:28 PM »
Another source for what looks like mostly the same information.  Mentions a Dark Storm Industries that was rejected also.
https://freebeacon.com/culture/nascar-denies-ads-for-americas-most-popular-rifle/

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 08:11:22 PM »
I grew up around racing, even owned a raced a few cars.  I liked watching NASCAR back when it was the Winston Cup, not so much when it became the Sprint Cup.  Gradually slowed down watching it live, would record and watch as I could.  When they went to the mandatory pit stops that was the last straw, I haven't even recorded it since then.

Run the damn cars until they won't go anymore, and trading paint isn't a reason to shut a team down - or even issue a fine.

There was a day when NASCAR race cars were cars. Richard Petty drove a Plymouth that, basically, sort of, started its life as a Plymouth on the assembly line in some Plymouth factory. The same was true of Fords and Chevrolets of the day. Obviously, they were heavily modified for racing, but they started out as street-legal motor vehicles.

Today? They all basically have the same tubular chassis under them, and they all have the same NASCAR-approved body shell over the cage. They just paint on a grille to make it look (sort of) like whatever make of engine the team happens to be running. I completely lost interest when that started to happen. Racing is racing. A huge part of NASCAR was identifying with your brand. Ford lovers rooted for the Ford drivers, Plymouth drivers rooted for Richard Petty, and Chevrolet drivers rooted for a Chevrolet driver (did Junior Johnson drive Chevies? Don't remember). If Ford produced a car with a slipperier shape than Chevy or Plymouth -- well, that's racing, and Plymouth or Chevy could come out with a more streamlined model next year if they wanted to compete.

NASCAR took all that away. That was the beginning of the ruination of NASCAR.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 09:30:05 PM »
Turning it into IROC super didn't help, but if you talk about Nascar dying you need to say Bill France jr. A lot. His dad dying was about the same as Sam Walton dying except all the Walton kids together couldn't do as much come as jr. He killed it in so many ways. Chase, stage racing, car of tomorrow, next car of tomorrow, etc. North Wilkesboro sitting closed while redneck cars race in Chicago. It is endless.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.