Main Forums > The Mess Hall

When Sauerkraut Goes Bad

(1/4) > >>

Ben:
Holy hell. I wanted to do ham and sauerkraut today, but yesterday, I didn't want to run all the way to the German store for the good kraut, so I went to the Albertson's that's 30 minutes from me. Low selection, as expected. Libby's and one called Steinfelds, which sounds more Jewish than German, but I didn't want to go with bland Libby's so gave the Steinfelds a try.

I opened the jar an hour ago and was hit with the smell of death throwing a botulism party. I don't believe I have ever experienced kraut that went bad, and I eat a lot of kraut. This was like a beyond death smell. I tossed the thing and immediately took the trash outside. The house still smells of rotten kraut. If someone ate this stuff, I think getting deathly ill and needing the hospital would be a best case scenario. I checked the jar before I tossed it and it was dated to NOV2025.

It was so bad that I actually called the Albertsons where I bought it to warn them that they might have a bad batch, and the woman just said, "Oh, sorry. Just bring the jar in and we'll refund you." Even after I explained just how bad it was and that I only called because I was worried about someone getting sick, she was like, "meh". Didn't seem to care. Oh well, my conscience is clear if I read about a sauerkraut poisoning in the area in the next few weeks.  =)

BobR:
You probably should get the codes off of the can and call the company. Albertson's doesn't care. The company OTOH may be concerned especially if they get one or two more reports. Then again in could just be you bad luck to pick the can that may have had a pinhole in the seam or the lid seal. I would still call the company.

bob

Ben:

--- Quote from: BobR on February 11, 2024, 03:59:33 PM ---You probably should get the codes off of the can and call the company. Albertson's doesn't care. The company OTOH may be concerned especially if they get one or two more reports. Then again in could just be you bad luck to pick the can that may have had a pinhole in the seam or the lid seal. I would still call the company.

bob

--- End quote ---

That's a good idea. I'm about certain the glass jar lid didn't have a pinhole. It was hell getting it off and I heard the seal pop.

Kingcreek:
I thought it had to go bad to become sauerkraut.

BobR:

--- Quote from: Ben on February 11, 2024, 04:02:51 PM ---That's a good idea. I'm about certain the glass jar lid didn't have a pinhole. It was hell getting it off and I heard the seal pop.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like something other than a bad seal, poor processing maybe.

--- Quote ---I thought it had to go bad to become sauerkraut.
--- End quote ---

Well, there is that! :)

bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version