Author Topic: Gun "Buy-backs"  (Read 1377 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Gun "Buy-backs"
« on: May 01, 2014, 12:11:00 AM »
Why gun buys work, even though they don't. This must be seen to be believed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftk24JdGb4k
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Gun "Buy-backs"
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 01:01:08 AM »
Ah, yes.

"These aren't the guns that are going to be used in crimes, but if you're going to complain about gun violence you have to start by focusing on the guns that won't be used in crimes or to commit gun violence."

In other words, you have no right to complain about crime unless you first sell to the police an inanimate object that has never been used and never would have been used in the commission of a crime.

Got it ...

Did anyone else happen to catch the Red Ryder BB gun in the stash of "guns" laid out on the table? 1:32
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 01:04:12 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 10:44:06 AM »
"We want you to do a meaningless gesture so you feel good about having done something about which you were not involved with in the first place and does nothing to solve the actual problem."

Yep, it's a liberal program.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 10:48:04 PM »
OK... so I'm not the only person who that made no sense to

And yeah... caught the BB gun
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 11:21:02 PM »
Honestly, I don't even like the syntax.  "Buy back" implies that the entity doing the buying [local governments, law enforcement organizations] were the original owner.

Can you "buy back" something you never owned in the first place?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 12:55:00 AM »
Honestly, I don't even like the syntax.  "Buy back" implies that the entity doing the buying [local governments, law enforcement organizations] were the original owner.

Can you "buy back" something you never owned in the first place?

Hence the scare quotes in my title. I guess I'll call them "gun buys" (see the OP), unless someone has a better name. Victim disarmament rallies?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 10:25:56 AM »
Gun Owner's Scrap Metal Reward Program
I've got a couple clunkers waiting for an event within easy driving distance.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 10:45:04 AM »
. . . "These aren't the guns that are going to be used in crimes, but if you're going to complain about gun violence you have to start by focusing on the guns that won't be used in crimes or to commit gun violence." . . .

By that logic, if you're going to complain about drug abuse, instead of concentrating on crystal meth, heroin, and crack you have to start focusing on aspirin, Alka-Seltzer, and Tums.

"Da stoopid, it hurtz."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 12:47:44 PM »
That brings up an interesting point.  If guns are bad, and you can reduce gun violence by buying guns and getting rid of them, why don't we have drug by backs to end drug abuse?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 01:26:10 PM »
Gun Owner's Scrap Metal Reward Program
I've got a couple clunkers waiting for an event within easy driving distance.

Yeah, I kept a Bernardelli with a broken mainspring for a while waiting for an opportunity.  Ended up selling all but the frame for a hair over shipping costs to someone on a board looking for parts, and sledgehammering the frame into an unrecognizable lump.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 03:01:01 PM »
Yeah, I kept a Bernardelli with a broken mainspring for a while waiting for an opportunity.  Ended up selling all but the frame for a hair over shipping costs to someone on a board looking for parts, and sledgehammering the frame into an unrecognizable lump.

Aha! You defaced the serial number  :police:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 08:53:41 AM »
Aha! You defaced the serial number  :police:
And if you discarded it, you tampered with evidence!   :police:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 12:27:45 PM »
No one has said so I will. "Teh Stoopid! It hurts!"
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G