Poll

Stipulated, Iran is pursuing the means and material to build a nuclear weapon.

The USA should preemptively strike their nuclear facilities.
2 (6.9%)
Let Israel deal with them and only get involved if Israel needs our help.
18 (62.1%)
Not our problem, leave them be.
9 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: On the question of Iran and preemptive war  (Read 3139 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
On the question of Iran and preemptive war
« on: October 11, 2012, 11:52:07 PM »
Myself, I just don't have the taste for another preemptive action. Been an awful lot of them since 80's.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: On the question of Iran and preemptive war
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 11:57:08 PM »
Myself, I just don't have the taste for another preemptive action. Been an awful lot of them since 80's.

False. Preemptive war was invented by Dick Cheney, in 2003. Prior to that, no nation had ever, ever, every done it before.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 11:59:03 PM »
This thread has happened a few times before
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 12:01:53 AM »
This thread has happened a few times before

It was either this or 45acp vs 9mm
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 12:10:48 AM »
This question drives me nuts.
No, I don't want another "pre-emptive" war and I think most of America doesn't, either.

OTOH:

Iran wants a nuclear arsenal.  I doubt that it will be possible to stop Iran from obtaining nukes by embargos or other non violent means.  I don't know if Iran will attack Israel with a nuke but Ahmadinejad (SP?) has repeatedly said he wants to erase Israel from the map.  This may be bluster; if so it's remarkably stupid bluster because it's giving Israel a real good reason to launch on Iran. 
Even if Iran just wants the BOMB for the same reason other countries want it it will change the balance of power in the mideast in a manner not really great for Israel & America.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 12:31:25 AM »
Maybe I just didn't get enough sleep today but I've got a case of the I don't give damns about whether Iran gets a nuke. If they get one they'll either use it or not. Heck, they're probably as likely to take one to NYC or LA as drop one on Isreal.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 01:57:59 AM »
Thought of a sub-option to go under "Let Israel deal with it..."

A couple B-2's with the new 30k lb bunker busters. When stuff explodes just kinda shrug, play dumb and let Israel take the credit if they want to.  :P

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 04:12:25 AM »
Thought of a sub-option to go under "Let Israel deal with it..."

A couple B-2's with the new 30k lb bunker busters. When stuff explodes just kinda shrug, play dumb and let Israel take the credit if they want to.  :P

I'm good with this.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 09:47:55 AM »
I'm not sure how realistic or possible this is, but what I would like to see is a policy of disengaging from the middle east altogether. Our foreign policy needs to pivot to focus on what is in our best interest, not the best interest of global corporations. We are not citizens of the world, we are Americans.

We also need to make it clear that if we are forced by any Arab or Persian nation to defend ourselves or an ally, that it will be done with the gloves off, total warfare. No more of this nation building concern for societies and cultures that wish our destruction.

Disengagement, non intervention, walk softly and carry the biggest most lethal stick.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 12:46:11 PM »
Then we need to disengage for both the global oil market and the global food market.

We could probably do the first (Drill Baby, Drill; Keystone Pipeline, etc.), and I'm about to the point of using food as a weapon.  However, that only hurts US farmers as Argentina and Canada could pick-up most of the slack.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 12:47:25 PM »
There are many ways to pre-empt.  Embargo.  Remove the policy-makers.  Etc.  You don't necessarily need the meat axe of nukes.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 12:50:09 PM »
Then we need to disengage for both the global oil market and the global food market.

We could probably do the first (Drill Baby, Drill; Keystone Pipeline, etc.), and I'm about to the point of using food as a weapon.  However, that only hurts US farmers as Argentina and Canada could pick-up most of the slack.

We produce far more food than we need.  We're definitely an exporter.  Though we import food as well, mostly for diversity in our food supply.

We can use food as a "stick" along with our massive military capabilities.

Being independent from energy concerns would make us the most powerful nation on earth again, far more than Adventure/Expeditionary Warfare can do.

Neocon " America, *expletive deleted*ck Yeah!" sentiment is still well served by the energy independence argument, along with the Libertarian "leavemealone-ism" angle.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 01:01:59 PM »
When I say disengage I mean militarily more than anything else.

Continue to trade with those who aren't overtly enemies.

If they want to be our enemy then we should not trade with them.   

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 01:35:58 PM »
http://atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/NJ10Ak02.html

The horizon collapses in the Middle East
By Spengler

"In the long run we are all dead," said John Maynard Keynes. To which the pertinent response is: "What do you mean, 'we'?" For most countries, the long run is a point on the horizon that never arrives. In the Middle East, by contrast, the horizon has collapsed in upon the present. It isn't the apocalypse, but in Iran, Syria, Turkey, and Egypt it must be what the apocalypse feels like. "What some hailed as an Arab Spring," I wrote in my September 2011 book How Civilizations Die (and Why Islam is Dying, Too), "is descending into an Arab Nightmare." The descent continues. We are a long way from hitting bottom.

The short-run problems of the Middle East appear intractable because they are irruptions of long-term problems, in a self-aggravating regional disturbance. It's like August 1914, but without the same civilizational implications: at risk are countries that long since have languished on the sidelines of the world economy and culture, and whose demise would have few repercussions for the rest of the world.

And Iran cannot abandon or even postpone its nuclear ambitions, because the collapse of its currency on the black market during the past two weeks reminds its leaders that a rapidly-aging population and fast-depleting oil reserves will lead to an economic breakdown of a scale that no major country has suffered in the modern era.

Iran's population is aging faster than any population in the history of the world, its economy is a hydrocarbon monoculture, and its oil is running out.

Just when Iran most needs hydrocarbon revenues, its oil output will decline sharply. Natural gas exports can offset the decline to some extent, but not entirely. Iran's only chance of survival lies in annexing oil-rich regions on its borders: Bahrain, Iraq's Basra province, parts of Azerbaijan, and ultimately Saudi Arabia's Shi'ite-majority Eastern Province. That is why Iran needs nuclear weapons.

Click the linky to see pretty graphs and more text.

I think the question is not, "Are we willing to pre-empt Iran from getting nukes," but, "Are we willing to write off Bahrain, Iraq's Basra province, parts of Azerbaijan, and ultimately Saudi Arabia's Shi'ite-majority Eastern Province?"

Quite a sticky question.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 01:42:48 PM »
http://atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/NJ10Ak02.html

Click the linky to see pretty graphs and more text.

I think the question is not, "Are we willing to pre-empt Iran from getting nukes," but, "Are we willing to write off Bahrain, Iraq's Basra province, parts of Azerbaijan, and ultimately Saudi Arabia's Shi'ite-majority Eastern Province?"

Quite a sticky question.

Saudi Arabia has the gold, man power and oil reserves to build their own fracking army.

Iraq has enough oil to do it. And heck, as unstable as they are right now, it might be good if they were just annexed by Iran.  Why do I care about Iraq?  Why should I send my friends in the military to fight on Iraq's behalf, and die for them?  Why should my paycheck be reduced to fund fighter squadrons and aircraft carriers to accomplish this goal?

So... Iran thinks they can relatively easily take over these territories.

Heck, the US could take over Canada pretty easily.  Or Trinidad and Tobago.  Doesn't mean we are going to.

I don't buy any more "zOMG Iran!" arguments.  Not without REAL demonstrated malice against the US, that trumps what Saudis have done to us.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 03:44:40 PM »
I think the US should work very dillegently behind the scenes to destabilize Iran.  If push comes to shove, we should support Isreal.  I just don't want the shoving to start as I have little stomach for another Middle Eastern war.  But I think it is in our interests to keep things as stable as possible where the radical Islamists seem to be taking over.  Do I support Obama's world vison?  NO  Any Administration who denies that they are at fault in Libya is just seeing the world through tinted sunglasses.  Do I support the Romney vision?  Probably as it is more pro-active.

Why are the radicals taking over?  It is because the people don't feel empowered to do anything about it.  There are few jobs and fewer options for the average person living in a lot of these countries.  It is also the only way most have known.  It takes organization to take control of these countries and the radical element has been working to that end for a long time.  Nothing really new here.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 03:48:11 PM »
Yeah, the US covertly meddling in the power structures of other nations has worked out SO WELL in the past, why would we not want to repeat that?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.