Author Topic: Here comes a roaring, gigantic black market  (Read 5315 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Here comes a roaring, gigantic black market
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 09:02:20 AM »
Conversions are  easy, too. I ha an 84 Vette with a conversion and it blew icy cold
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 09:05:51 AM »
Conversions are  easy, too. I ha an 84 Vette with a conversion and it blew icy cold

How did you go about your conversion?  I've seen folks do it as simply as changing the refrigerant to as complex as replacing the compressor and multiple other parts.  I've heard the cheap/easy way doesn't work well or for long.

Chris

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 09:17:21 AM »
Compressor stayed the same, but all fittings and O rings were changed, along with one of the hoses because it was damaged. I figured I'd run the compressor till it went bad but it never did.

From what I understand, the compressor and the rubber bits are the important pieces of the conversion
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 09:25:56 AM »
I thought I remember hearing the newer refrigerant was more corrosive to some soft parts so hoses and seals and rings needed to be changed.  It has been a while since this was an issue.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 09:31:56 AM »
Compressor stayed the same, but all fittings and O rings were changed, along with one of the hoses because it was damaged. I figured I'd run the compressor till it went bad but it never did.

From what I understand, the compressor and the rubber bits are the important pieces of the conversion

I've never checked for myself, but I had heard the old compressors weren't "big" enough to get proper cooling out of the new stuff.  I never had to go that route, so I don't know myself.

Chris

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 09:56:47 PM »
Knock on wood, my 1990 GMC 2500 is running the new stuff and is cold enough for TX summers.  The change-over was done by emptying the old stuff and refilling with the new - no parts replaced.  That was over 5 years ago and it's still blowing cold.  And it hasn't had to be recharged in that time.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 02:31:34 AM »
http://bennettsupply.net/HC-12a.htm very cheap R12 drop in replacement. It works better than R12, and with the new yf1234 being inflammable and toxic when it burns the argument against using propane/butane isn't as strong as before.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi