Author Topic: A sign of decline (Your papers, please)?  (Read 4491 times)

The Annoyed Man

A sign of decline (Your papers, please)?
« on: August 09, 2008, 04:48:46 PM »
I just received my TWICTM, my Transport Worker Identification Credential ( gotta love it!  NOT an Identity Card grin).  $132.50 to Lockheed-Martin , three trips to an office with a two, perhaps three, full time equivalents work force that appears to conduct about one quarter, or less, of one FTE in business.  Heavy duty ID was required, in my case, as a Zonie-born in the Panama Canal Zone-my birth certificate and passport (never mind that one is fully dependent upon the other Smiley ) and finger prints taken for a criminal background check.  The card was not released to me until my finger print scanned as being the same as when I applied.

This is added to my CHL and its criminal background check.

In a few months, when I renew my Commercial Driver's License and its HazMat endorsement, a $75 additional fee, I will have three forms of ID dependent upon criminal background checks.

I do not view these as a good sign.

Activism does not appear to be having any noticeable effect.  Perhaps it is time to flee the jurisdiction, nu?

(Sure is a purty card, though, with all those holographic ruffles and flourishes.)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: A sign of decline (Your papers, please)?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 05:56:01 PM »
There is no oppression.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 06:54:24 PM »
Are you home, Chuck?  Some gentlemen in cheaps suits driving a non-descript black sedan with govt. plates want to talk to you.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 05:28:12 AM »
don't we already have numbers on metal tags attached to our cars that can be run through a computer anytime the powers that be decide it is prudent?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 12:37:50 PM »
Well, I sure hope they've done an adequate background check on the jihadist that sticks a gun in your face to steal your truck full of haz-mat  rolleyes

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 01:26:58 PM »
don't we already have numbers on metal tags attached to our cars that can be run through a computer anytime the powers that be decide it is prudent?

You're clearly DOUBTING the State Vehicle Registration System.

YOU TINFOIL HATTER, YOU!

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 03:51:27 PM »

Heh heh.  Assuming it's my car.......

Silly novice.
7-11 was a part time job.

FiveBillionAcres

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 06:10:18 PM »
Well, I sure hope they've done an adequate background check on the jihadist that sticks a gun in your face to steal your truck full of haz-mat  rolleyes

So very true... And yet there are litterally millions of people who find this sort of red tape apropriet because it keeps us safe and weeds out the less determined terrorists... we call those people Leftists...

On a side note does anyone else notice that before women's suffrage there were pretty much (by today's standards) only right and even more right wing parties? Ever notice that the gun control groups and their heros are mostly women? And yet most of the right's propaganda, the little be we manage to put out is directed mostly at men? Of course these are broad generalizations...

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
(Your papers, please)

What a silly notion.

Obviously they won't be saying "please", and probably not even "your".

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 07:06:09 PM »
On a side note does anyone else notice that before women's suffrage there were pretty much (by today's standards) only right and even more right wing parties? Ever notice that the gun control groups and their heros are mostly women? And yet most of the right's propaganda, the little be we manage to put out is directed mostly at men? Of course these are broad generalizations...

Uh-oh, I guess you're not aware of Ladysmith's Shoes O' Death.

(P.S.  The wheels really came off when we let them wear shoes....do a search on that phrase grin)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
Ever notice that the gun control groups and their heros are mostly women?

I'll argue against that.  Jim Brady, Richard Daly, Dick Durbin, Chuck Schumer, John Kerry, Al Gore, Barack Obama, Ted Kennedy.  The women tend to take secondary rolls to the movement.  Even Sarah Brady doesn't head up the organization she started with her husband.

On a side note does anyone else notice that before women's suffrage there were pretty much (by today's standards) only right and even more right wing parties? ...And yet most of the right's propaganda, the little be we manage to put out is directed mostly at men? Of course these are broad generalizations...

Yep, they are.  Ever taken a trip to ifeminists.com?  Pretty well known website that preaches a modern feminism that looks at things from an idealistic MLK-Jr type of perspective.  Judge things by their capability, not by the color of their skin or gender.

There's plenty of women that are angry with the nanny-ist quilting circles that comprise liberal victimized suffragette feminism.  And they're working on it on their own rather than waiting for the menfolk to take care of it for them.

Which is just fine with me, because I've got my own problems to sort out and can't fix everything for you gals.  I will still hold the door open for you though. angel
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 02:41:38 PM »

So very true... And yet there are litterally millions of people who find this sort of red tape apropriet because it keeps us safe and weeds out the less determined terrorists... we call those people Leftists...

Remind me to never stand next to this guy, esp. with Ladysmith around...  grin
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 05:03:43 PM »

Yes...  Obviously the solution is to not let women vote.  Mind telling my girlfriend?  I could use some entertainment and she needs some more practice with the M4.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 05:14:56 PM »
Yes, I agree they are BROAD generalizations.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 08:14:51 PM »
Because of how lpoliticians organizse their political efforts, they often persuade a group that because they stood up for them once, they basically own that group forever.

And a lot of the time it works.

Observe Democrats and blacks, Republicans and gun owners, Democrats and Jews, Republicans and right-wing libertarians...

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 01:39:04 AM »
Yes, I agree they are BROAD generalizations.

Yes....and people like that rarely chick their facts and fall back on dame stereotypes....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 03:49:14 AM »
AZRedhawk presented a valid and factual argument against the silly rabbit syndrome of trying to blame us women for the decline of Western civilization. Plus hes still gentlemanly enough to hold the door open.  smiley

Phyphor is a wise man. cheesy

Rev Disk is plain evil&but in a good way. grin

I had a couple of stiletto heels cocked for jfruser and Seeker_Two, but started laughing and dropped them. I must not be much of a feminist as Ive developed a sense of humor. laugh
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).