Author Topic: Arlington Police Release Body Cam Video Of Deadly, Accidental Shooting  (Read 1345 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
nsfw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3czPNJf6s4
terribly sad case, she was a homeless gal who was sleeping on the grass.
the dog in question was wounded, fled to a garage - now if the dog was dangerous - a wounded dangerous/dog would likely bite.
this dog was just looking for help and not aggressive toward its rescuers.
anyway, she was directly in the line of fire.
NSFW due to her asking "WTF" before dying.
very sad thing to see/hear
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
Arlington Police Release Body Cam Video Of Deadly, Accidental Shooting
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 09:26:21 AM »
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/08/02/arlington-police-release-body-cam-video-officer-trying-shoot-dog-killing-woman/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Arlington Police Release Body Cam Video Of Deadly, Accidental Shooting

It appears the officer opened fire on the dog and ended up shooting the woman in the background killing her.  Know your target and what is beyond it.  We will see what they decide to do with this case. 

Arlington Police released an officer’s body cam video less than 24 hours after the rookie officer shot and killed a woman lying in the grass, while trying to shoot a dog charging at him.

The officer on the video says, “Hello, are you OK? Is that your dog? can you get… get back!”  Then he fires his weapon multiple times.

The dog did belong to Margarita Brooks, 30.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Arlington Police Release Body Cam Video Of Deadly, Accidental Shooting
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 09:29:28 AM »
It was so shaky, I can't tell the attitude of the dog towards the officer, but police REALLY need to get past this identifying every dog as a threat and that the ONLY response is to shoot the dog. I have dealt with apparently and actually aggressive dogs and have had to shoot 0 of them.

A woman is now dead because an officer panicked. He should be in jail, but, instead, he'll get a transfer to some other location where he can kill again.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 10:07:48 AM »
It was so shaky, I can't tell the attitude of the dog towards the officer, but police REALLY need to get past this identifying every dog as a threat and that the ONLY response is to shoot the dog. I have dealt with apparently and actually aggressive dogs and have had to shoot 0 of them.

A woman is now dead because an officer panicked. He should be in jail, but, instead, he'll get a transfer to some other location where he can kill again.

Yup. Maybe there already is, but if not, there should be some training on handling aggressive dogs other than "shoot first". You can see this dog turned tail at the noise from the first shot.

I too have been around aggressive dogs and managed to handle the situation without killing one. A dog pack is a different story, but a little knowledge would go a long way towards handling single dog situations. Lots of other people that deal with the public seem to handle the problem without a gun. Not that we have them any more, but meter readers ran into more dogs - in their own territory - than any cop ever would.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 10:16:54 AM »
Also, dupe topics merged.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 10:19:14 AM »
It's quite clear to me that we should ban guns.  If no one had guns, this would not have happened.

(It's sarcasm, folks.)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 10:37:51 AM »
It's quite clear to me that we should ban guns.  If no one had guns, this would not have happened.

(It's sarcasm, folks.)

It's not the guns, it's the dogs. Get rid of dogs and no more dogs will be shot at which may harm innocent bystanders. Simple. ;)

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 10:46:50 AM »
It's not the guns, it's the dogs. Get rid of dogs and no more dogs will be shot at which may harm innocent bystanders. Simple. ;)

bob
Then what will keep the cats in check?

You can't just mess with Nature's balance like that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 02:54:50 PM »
Y'all are ignoring the most obvious option: Eliminate police officers, and (a) no more dogs OR people can be shot by police officers, AND (b) no more police officers can be shot by domestic terrorists.

Win-win. It's a two-fer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 12:01:56 PM »
That's a pretty small dog.

I bet the cop is wishing he had used pepper spray instead of his gun.

My wife is part of a cycle club.  Members use pepper spray on dogs.  It works.  And you don't kill innocent people by accident either. 

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 01:33:07 PM »
My wife is part of a cycle club.  Members use pepper spray on dogs.  It works.  And you don't kill innocent people by accident either.
Or if you do it takes a whole lot longer.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 03:55:30 PM »
I thought I had heard those stun guns that work by touch can be a deterrent to dogs.  The ones that spark some when you operate them.  I heard most dogs don't like the sparks or noise.  Have any of you heard or tried that? 

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 04:30:44 PM »
I thought I had heard those stun guns that work by touch can be a deterrent to dogs.  The ones that spark some when you operate them.  I heard most dogs don't like the sparks or noise.  Have any of you heard or tried that?
I know of one case where a K9 charged a cop and got hit with a Taser (actual probe deployment - took one hook to an ear I think, not a drive stun that acts like one of those little stun guns).  The K9 stopped his attack right away, but tasers are not spectacularly reliable in a general sense - probes don't always hit, they don't always stick, and even if they do they don't always cause immediate incapacitation.  There's a reason why when tasers are used another cop is supposed to be standing by with lethal cover.

Against a bluff attack making scary noises might work well, but using one of those little handheld stun guns on a dog that is actually attacking sounds like a very good way to get your gun hand bit.  I asked one of my handler friends about it and he says his dog doesn't care about the drive-stun noise at all if they're on a bite.