Author Topic: US Guns in Mexico (or not)  (Read 1640 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
US Guns in Mexico (or not)
« on: November 12, 2010, 10:36:35 PM »
Interesting story on US guns involved in Mexican crimes. I know we've discussed this before, but this story lays out many of the conflicting numbers. The Mexican Ambassador's numbers are rather interesting.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/02/myth-percent-small-fraction-guns-mexico-come/

EDIT: Apologies -- I saw this link on another forum and just now saw that the story is from 2009.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:41:57 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

longeyes

• friend
Re: US Guns in Mexico (or not)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 11:10:41 PM »
I'm betting that for every American weapon there are five stolen from Mexican police and military armories and twenty arriving on
Chinese freighters at Lazaro Cardenas.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:31:58 PM »
The money shot comes at the end...

The last two paragraphs basically say, forget the facts and evidence, we have a "wide open market" for guns that needs to be more heavily regulated.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 11:41:01 PM »
The money shot comes at the end...

The last two paragraphs basically say, forget the facts and evidence, we have a "wide open market" for guns that needs to be more heavily regulated.

If Tom Diaz had his way and every private citizen was disarmed because, "only the police should have guns", he'd then immediately go after the police and their guns. I'm actually not sure if he's a hoplophobe or just rabid.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 07:32:58 AM »
Interesting story on US guns involved in Mexican crimes. I know we've discussed this before, but this story lays out many of the conflicting numbers. The Mexican Ambassador's numbers are rather interesting.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/02/myth-percent-small-fraction-guns-mexico-come/

EDIT: Apologies -- I saw this link on another forum and just now saw that the story is from 2009.

That's okay, since the Mexican prez is still claiming that we are the largest supplier of guns to the narcos.  His blathering sh!t starts at 0:55 in this video: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7049563n&tag=contentMain;contentBody.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 07:36:57 AM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 10:25:35 AM »
So what...?  The Mexicans are welcome to upgrade their border security  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 05:57:07 PM »

That's okay, since the Mexican prez is still claiming that we are the largest supplier of guns to the narcos.  His blathering sh!t starts at 0:55 in this video: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7049563n&tag=contentMain;contentBody.

we are the biggest supplier of guns to the narcos. we give/loan/sell weapons to the mexican JBTs who then trade/sell/give them to the narcos. =|

how else did the news dolts think they were getting full auto weapons, and explosives, out of the US at attractive prices?

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 08:11:15 PM »

It's alright.  We're going to be reeling from the nonsense that the press half-reported for years at this point.  It's best to keep the pro-gun side educated on the actual numbers so we know what to see when some idjit parrots a half-truth they got from the press.