Author Topic: Double Edged Safety Razor New User Review (of Gear, Results, etc.)  (Read 7843 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
BLUF
Really, not a big deal to make the switch.  Plenty of helpful videos and web sites.  Stick with what works for lots of folks, with minor allowances for a new user (fixed blade, guard) and your particularities (long handle for my meat hooks).

WHY
It has been a while since I was the ideal customer for "Big Razor(1)."  Started using bar soap instead of shaving cream from a can in college and a wash cloth to simulate a brush action at times.  Said buh-bye to cartridge razors when they went to three blades and the cartridges got unwieldy on my face.

Been happy buying Gillette Good News disposables from Sams/Costco for years.  Hard to beat the price relative to the cartridge deals.  I liked the Good News because the double razor head did not pivot, have a slime strip, or a rubber dealie.  Well, now they no longer stock those, but the more expensive triple blade + slime + rubber disposables.  The cost is greater, the size of the head is cumbersome, and the pivoty action does not allow me to shave in some spots.

Finally said to heck with it all.  I am not going to pay more for a razor that doesn't do as good a job.

WHAT
Decided to run with a Double Edged Safety Razor & gear.  Looked like I can get as good a shave for less money after the initial cost of the gear (Razor, brush, soap tub).  And that I might be able to get a really good shave more often or on a regular basis.  With the double/triple blade deals, I would get ingrown hairs and/or razor burn if I went at it both with and against the grain too often.

The youtubers who put out the neat DESR and straight razor videos are awfully helpful, as are the product reviewers on Amazon.  Some seem to turn it into too long a ritual for my taste, what with the multitude of steps.  Yeah, my number one objective is to knock the whiskers off my face.  I have thus far treated such how-to videos as a cafeteria rather than a 9-course meal.

I did some research on the various razors, blades, brushes, soaps, & such.  Below is what I ordered, all off Amazon in one go (Prime second day free shipping FTW!).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NL0T1G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor
Model 180
$35

This razor get 4.6/5 stars with 2500 reviews.  I am thinking it does what it is supposed to do.  And that would be:
1. Accommodate larger hands.
2. Guard.
3. Otherwise perform as a DESRs.

Merkur is pretty popular for making DESR.  Lots of mentions all over the place.

The guard deal (channel-looking thingy that compresses the blade between handle and head) is sort of a set of training wheels for those who use DESR.  It forces the user to engage the face at a particular angle or more and prevents an overly aggressive angle.  Likely saves lots of blood for new users such as myself.  I can see myself getting a guard-less DESR in the future after I have developed muscle memory with this razor.  Or maybe one of the adjustable blade angle razors.  The longer handle works well for my hands.

Happy as a clam with it thus far. Nice weighty thing made from metal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LDYFGFQ/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1
Nondescript starter badger shaving brush.
$12

4.7/5 stars with only 35 reviews.  Pretty much does what it says, but is not as nice as the high dollar brushes.  It works and was cheap.  Relative to its nearest competitor, this one won out with me due to the wooden handle and the other brush's plastic handle was reported to bust when dropped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00837YY18/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Proraso Shaving Soap, Eucalyptus & Menthol, 5.2 oz (150 ml), New Formulation
$9

4.6/5 stars with 1000 reviews.  Saw this mentioned lots of places online.  Not sure if it works better than bar soap for the shave, but ought to not dry out my skin when the weather turns dry & cold.  The menthol is nice.  This lasted users from 3-12 months.  It works and I have no complaints.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076ZW0ZU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
25 Different Blade Sampler
$15.25

Did not care about the rating but looked at what blades were included.  It had most of the blades with which folk had good results.  Some are known duds and may only be used once for a "with grain" pass or tossed with prejudice.  The Paki blades, for instance.  No wonder they wear beards and are an angry lot.  Some DESR users use a blade once & toss, others for 3-4 days, others up to two weeks.  I was able to get a week out of the old Gillette super triple slime strip special disposables, with the last shave or two getting "tuggy."  I will use/rate these against that standard, as well as against each other.  I am keeping an index card and pencil in the medicine cabinet to record my impressions.

I am two weeks into it and have two data points. 

Merkur Super
Came with the razor.  Merkur has a good rep for its razors, a middling to poor rep for its blades.  This blade was able to replicate the Gillette super triple slime strip special disposable end result.  Maybe a little more tuggy at the end.  No way was I going to do two passes with one against the grain at the end of the week.
Gillette Silver Blue
Superior to the Merkur above.  Non-tuggy all week long and I easily surpassed Gillette super triple slime strip special disposable end results even with one pass.  Did not try going against the grain the last two days due to time constraints.

Next up is Gillete 7O'Clock.  Then (in no particular order) Derby, Feather, other Gillettes, and maybe others.  I'll update as I go for those interested.

HOW
Plenty of how-to videos and web pages.  Lots of new DESR user horror stories of blood and pain. 

My intro has been mostly drama-free.  First shave I was able to duplicate my Gillette super triple slime strip special disposable results in the mirror.  This was a bit of an unequal match since I used to always shave in the shower, without a mirror.  Been doing so for decades.  I figured visual cues might help in the DESR learning process.  The whole mirror thing didn't last long for one-pass with-grain shaves.  Matter of fact, that was the only time I used a mirror for such.  Then I tried a two-pass, second vs grain shave and it went well until I stepped out of the shower and saw my face.  Oops.  Yeah, that low skin-color mole near my sideburn that the disposable slid over no problem? Not so much against the grain with a DESR.  All in all, I have had four nicks in two weeks of shaving with a DESR.  That is about 52x my nick rate for the disposables.  But, I now can go with or against the grain, no matter, in the shower without a mirror.  Hopefully, the nick rate will come down.  Were I to stand in front of a mirror, I could nearly guarantee no-nick shaving with a DESR.

Oh, my SOP thus far is:
1. Wash entire head with bar soap in shower.
2. Use Poroso and brush to work up lather in my hand.
3. Apply lather with brush to my face.
4. Shave with grain.
[If going for two passes]
5. Apply lather again.
6. Shave against grain.
7. Hose off head and complete shower.

No pre/post shave ablutions or such.  I figure if I need them, I am doing something wrong since I did not need them before.

Really, not a big deal to make the switch.  Plenty of helpful videos and web sites.  Stick with what works for lots of folks, with minor allowances for a new user (fixed blade, guard) and your particularities (long handle for my meat hooks).

(1) A jesting term for Gillette, Schick, and the shaving cream folks.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Double Edged Safety Razor New User Review (of Gear, Results, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 10:15:41 PM »
I think you made good all around choices to get started - especially going with the sampler blade pack. Everyone seems to have different results with blades based on their face and their razor. The sampler pack is the way to go for finding what works best for you, then buy that in bulk and you're good to go. Most everyone agrees that Feathers are the absolute sharpest, top end blades, but for me, the Derbys work the best, which, considering how inexpensive they are is a win for me. :)

I also have a long handled Merkur, the 38C. I really like the long handle for my hands, and also like the overall heft of the razor - it keeps me from applying pressure, and helps me let the weight of the razor do all the work.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 10:41:42 PM »
Feather, straight. ;)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 10:44:39 PM »
I started down the same path about a month ago with a vander hagen razir and shaving kit that I bought from walmart on a whim. I'm just getting to the point of being comfortable using a safety razor and only nicked myself a few times- on a mole near my ear and on a scar on the back of my head. It took a keap of faith to shave underthe nose and the chin the first time.

I won't be going back to dispisBles any time soon, if nothing ekse, the soapand vadger brush are awesome incomparisonto the stuff that comes out of a can.

I ordered my furst straight razor this weekend, can't waIt until it comes in.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 10:48:04 PM »
vadger brush

Is that the one with curly bristles?

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 10:52:24 PM »
Is that the one with curly bristles?

Chris

:rofl:
I've gotten a lot of much deserved grief for my tablet typing lately. :laugh:

Barack Obama

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 10:58:57 PM »
Wilkinson DE blades from Walmart are good.  Derby blades from the local Sally Beauty store are crap.  I was going to order an assortment of blades but I found too good a deal on a 100-pack of Astra "Superior Platinum" to pass up and I bought that instead.  They are great.

I only shave with a blade a couple of times per week (and use an electric razor that lives in my truck the rest of the time) so I have enough blades to last a few years.  I still might buy a 100-pack of Personna medical blades sometime if I need some padding for an Amazon order...
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 11:39:13 PM »
I ordered my furst straight razor this weekend, can't waIt until it comes in.

Stand by for the blood bath!

Just kidding. I've been shaving with a straight razor for a couple of years now. It's kind of a process, so I mostly do it as my "Sunday shave" with the whole hot towel, etc. regime. It's kind of a meditative / concentration thing.

You really do get a MUCH closer shave, and if you get proper sharpening stones, you have a blade that never needs to be replaced in your life, and probably a couple of generations down the road. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 07:54:47 AM »
I have the same long-handle Merkur and just bought the short handled version to replace my "travel" razor, a Weishi that I just could no longer get a decent shave from (could be that my technique changed after using the Merkur a lot).  I am weird in that I prefer a boar brush.  I have an Omega for home and a small generic model for travel.  I started out using the stick soaps you rub on your face, then generate foam by working the soap directly on your face with your brush.  Now, I only use that for travel and use a mug and soap at home.  The end result is roughly the same, but it's easier to find traditional soap pucks in the US (the stick variant seems more popular overseas).

I also just ordered an Alum block.  I'm going to see if that helps with the razor burn I'm prone to at times.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 09:53:53 AM »
I have the same long-handle Merkur and just bought the short handled version to replace my "travel" razor, a Weishi that I just could no longer get a decent shave from

Funny, I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I have also been using the Weishi you recommended a while back as a travel razor and liked the light, compact size and case (and cost!) a lot. I've also noticed though, that I don't seem to get the same shave from the Weishi as from the Merkur. It's still been fine for travel shaving, and much better than a cartridge,  but somehow it feels a bit like a toy compared to the hefty Merkur. It's still been a great bang for the buck though.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 10:43:48 AM »
I'm hoping my new Merkur will fit in the same case since the case is so useful (holds razor, blades, and a small piece of stypic pencil.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 10:58:10 AM »
I'm hoping my new Merkur will fit in the same case since the case is so useful (holds razor, blades, and a small piece of stypic pencil.

Chris

Would you post or PM if it does? Which one did you get, the 34?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 11:03:43 AM »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 11:29:58 AM »
Just got a $29.xx DE Safety Razor from Wal-Mart on a whim, like others.

Tried it a few times without following all the lengthy and involved pre-shave instructions, just soaping up good, twice, rubbing it in.

So I can't offer a fair assessment yet, but one comment I have is they ought to make the handle with flats so you can set it on your face with the blade parallel to the skin and can sorta tell which side of the blade you're using.  

Also, the corners of the blade holder seem a little sharp, not cutting sharp, but enough so you think you may be about to nick yourself for an instant before you get the razor parallel to the skin.

Terry
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:56:16 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 11:31:55 AM »
Hmm, did not consider travel.

There are these options:

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Bakelite-Safety-Razor-Travel/dp/B003UIBXGE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hpc_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=01SQHDX4G8KF3NP04G2H
Merkur 45 Bakelite Safety Razor Travel Set
$38

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Collabsible-Safety-Razor-Travel/dp/B009CW9A58/ref=sr_1_6?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1408978128&sr=1-6&keywords=merkur+travel+razor
Merkur Collabsible Safety Razor Travel Set
$74

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Razor-Travel-dismountable-chrome-plated-leather/dp/B004GQSUTW/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1408978128&sr=1-4&keywords=merkur+travel+razor
Merkur-Razor Travel razor dismountable, chrome-plated,in leather case with 1 blade
$46

The reviews praise the bakelite razor (can buy just the razor and the razor by itself has high ratings).  Only worry is that the threads holding the head will eventually wear out.  I think I might try that one out.  Thinking about a toothpaste-like tube of shave cream/soap.  Maybe a cheap brush or just use a washcloth to lather up.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 12:15:18 PM »
That take-down Merkur looks interesting - I've never seen that before.

The shave cream could certainly work for travel - I think some of them work fine with just your hands and no brush. I carry a soap stick and one of these travel brushes:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VKMWBC/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 12:37:37 AM »
I can't remember for sure but I think heads from the travel and normal razors ( merker) could  be swapped around. a travel slant has a certain draw. >:D

noone   else has any thing to say about feather's straight? [popcorn]

i will  add they will leave your' face a bloody mess, to  start  with. but  i think   thats any straight. =D   

i think thi  s should be my lst post after takn  sleepin meds. [tinfoil]

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 01:00:36 AM »
I'm still using my Merkur 1904 Classic handle and Shave Secret oil in place of soaps or creams.  I first bought a box of the Astra Superior Platinum blades that zxcvbob likes, but everything else I've tried has been far better (Wilkinson Sword, Personna medical blues and Feather.)  The Feather are amazing - better than any other I've tried - for the first shave.  They seem to go dull much more quickly.  Given the price difference, I probably won't buy them often.  Wilkinson Sword and Personna blues are pretty similar in comfort and sharpness, but my WalMart stopped carrying the Wilkinson, so I bought a big box of Personna for about the same price as the Astra and have been very happy with them.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 09:01:02 AM »
I got this in the other day:
http://www.amazon.com/~Shave-Shaving-Straight-Shave-Network/dp/B00LWPWOVK/ref=sr_1_5?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1409230351&sr=1-5&keywords=gold+dollar+208

Its ultra cheap, for $16 I figured I could take it or leave it, it would be a cheap foray into the world of straight razor shaving....
I've read a lot of reviews on these things- cheap chinese razors made of good steel but of poor workmanship. The type I ordered was reground/sharpened by another razor manufacturer. The scales are made of the type of garbage plastic you'd find on kids toys won at a carnival- I kid you not, I don't think they could come up with a poorer/cheaper material.
It came pretty sharp, I tried to shave with it- no go, it cut some hairs and pulled really hard on others. I ended up finishing with the DE razor.

Last night I carefully stropped it on an old belt about 40x back and forth, and it definitely came out shaving sharp. I'll give it another try in a day or two.

Barack Obama

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 10:44:38 AM »
I hate the fact that TSA won't allow you to have DE razor blades in a carryon bag.  Using a cheap, disposable razor just isn't the same as using a quality DE razor.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 10:47:18 AM »
BTW, I tried an alum block after shaving last night.  It requires more testing, but I do think it reduced any instance of razor burn significantly (been getting it bad on my neck lately).  Worth a try if razor burn is an issue for you.

Chris

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 12:02:17 PM »
I hate the fact that TSA won't allow you to have DE razor blades in a carryon bag.  Using a cheap, disposable razor just isn't the same as using a quality DE razor.

You could probably sneak that Bakelite razor on.  Worst case is you have to remove and surrender the blade, then buy a pack of blades at your destination.
"It's good, though..."

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 01:41:18 PM »
You could probably sneak that Bakelite razor on.  Worst case is you have to remove and surrender the blade, then buy a pack of blades at your destination.
yeah. They usually don't check for a blade anyway, and all pharmacies have blades for cheap.

mtnbkr

• friend

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 07:45:44 PM »
Cool, thanks for posting. How do you like the razor?