Author Topic: Double Edged Safety Razor New User Review (of Gear, Results, etc.)  (Read 7841 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Double Edged Safety Razor New User Review (of Gear, Results, etc.)
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 08:19:36 PM »
Cool, thanks for posting. How do you like the razor?
Haven't used it yet.  Maybe tomorrow.  Should be the same as my long handled version though.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2014, 06:18:21 PM »
Shorter version of my Merkur shaves just like the long-handled version, just a bit less handy due to the shorter length.

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2014, 11:45:46 AM »
Previous blade reviews:
Merkur Super
Came with the razor.  Merkur has a good rep for its razors, a middling to poor rep for its blades.  This blade was able to replicate the Gillette super triple slime strip special disposable end result.  Maybe a little more tuggy at the end.  No way was I going to do two passes with one against the grain at the end of the week.
Gillette Silver Blue
Superior to the Merkur above.  Non-tuggy all week long and I easily surpassed Gillette super triple slime strip special disposable end results even with one pass.  Did not try going against the grain the last two days due to time constraints.

Two New Blade Reviews:
Gillette 7 O'Clock
Inferior to Gillette Silver Blue, better than Merkur Super.  Had razor burn last two-pass shave.
Derby
Best so far. No razor burn last two-pass shave.

I ordered the following for aftershave, in case I get a little burny:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085UECY2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered the following for travel:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UIBXGE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002A5OLHQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
roo_ster, be a pal and give us a review of that Bakelite razor after you've used it a few times, would you? I'm curious.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2014, 07:41:02 PM »
roo_ster, be a pal and give us a review of that Bakelite razor after you've used it a few times, would you? I'm curious.

Will do.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 12:25:27 PM »

Got the Merkur 45 Bakelite razor yesterday and shaved with it this AM.

It is shorter & lighter than my Merkur Model 180 and has a smooth bar-deal, rather than a combed one.  It opens up and operates just like my longer all-metal Merkur 180.

The biggest difference is that it allowed for a more aggressive angle to be used shaving.  That was not required to use it, but it was an option.  The Merkur 180 is better for new shavers, while this bakelite critter caters to shavers who have some practice. 

The results were great.  Just as good as with my Merkur 180.  The threaded screw on the head looks like brass and it screws into the 100% bakelite handle.  This may wear out in the future, but it will be a while, I am sure, unless you gorilla down the head.  If/when it does wear, I'll replace it with a similarly-sized all-metal Merkur DESR.

The carry box is plastic and will hold 4x 5 razor holder/cartridge deals or some similar volume of other doo-dads.  It comes with one from Merkur.

If you like your average Merkur metal DESR, this one won't disappoint.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 01:59:53 PM »
Thanks for the review! The whole Bakelite concept is interesting to me. I wonder if the original use was because it was the "first plastic" or due to wartime metal shortages? For only 17 ducats, I'm kinda interested in trying one.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 05:21:53 PM »
Wilkinson DE blades from Walmart are good.  Derby blades from the local Sally Beauty store are crap.

Odd; my barber uses Derby in both safety razors and shavettes, and I've got a box of Derby half-DE's for my shavette that are as close to a lightsaber as you're going to get.  OTOH, I've also got a box of Shark half DEs that are hit and miss.  Must be a per-lot thing.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2014, 12:30:47 PM »

Previous blade reviews:

Merkur Super
Came with the razor.  Merkur has a good rep for its razors, a middling to poor rep for its blades.  This blade was able to replicate the Gillette super triple slime strip special disposable end result.  Maybe a little more tuggy at the end.  No way was I going to do two passes with one against the grain at the end of the week.

Gillette Silver Blue
Superior to the Merkur above.  Non-tuggy all week long and I easily surpassed Gillette super triple slime strip special disposable end results even with one pass.  Did not try going against the grain the last two days due to time constraints.

Gillette 7 O'Clock
Inferior to Gillette Silver Blue, better than Merkur Super.  Had razor burn last two-pass shave.

Derby

Two New Blade Reviews:

Astra
Sharper/closer shave than Derby and no burn after last two-pass shave.  In all, superior to Derby for me.

Feather
Great sharp blade.  Great close shaves, maybe better than Astra.  Last two-pass shave got a tad burny, though.  Many consider this blade too aggressive for against the grain passes, but the Merkur 180 razor seems a bit less aggressive in the angles it allows, so it works pretty well. 

I will order a 100-pack of the Astras for sure.  Seem to be almost as sharp as the Feathers, but keep their edge longer.  Even if I find a better blade in the blade sampler, the Astra is a blade I can be happy with.

The Poroso Aftershave is good stuff.  Might not be lotiony enough for dry winter weather, but perfect for hot & mild weather.  Has alcohol in it, but not as much and consequently, not as much a slap in the face like some.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085UECY2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2014, 12:58:56 PM »
Derby

What I use in my shavette, and my barber does as well.  Least painful I've found for the bit just under the nose.

Feather
Great sharp blade.  Great close shaves, maybe better than Astra.  Last two-pass shave got a tad burny, though.  Many consider this blade too aggressive for against the grain passes, but the Merkur 180 razor seems a bit less aggressive in the angles it allows, so it works pretty well.[/quote]

Using Feather DE for the safety razor.  Great touch up blade.  I tend to use the DE when I'm in a hurry, or to catch a spot that I've missed, so I can't really speak to blade life in it.

Also tried some Dr Bronner's Peppermint Magic Soap (well diluted - this is the stuff that makes Altoids seem mild and sweet by comparison) for a shave, just out of curiosity.  Feels a bit odd, but seems to work OK.  Just be careful about getting the stuff on your lips as it can leave you talking funny for a bit.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2014, 03:45:04 PM »
While doing some parsing down of unneeded crap a couple of weeks ago, I stumbled upon a 50 pack of the Blue Crystal blades that I must have bought a long time ago and forgotten about. They're a re-labled Red Personna. I stuck one in my razor and I think I may like them better than the Derbys. Of course they cost nearly twice as much as the Derbys.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2014, 08:15:42 AM »
I have settled on the Astra Superior Platinum as my everyday blade.  I can use it all week, no burn if I do my part.  I bought a 50-pack and will let the 20-some other blades of the multi-pack I got earlier sit. 

I have found I spend more time shaving.  Really did not want that.  The thing is I do not have to.  If I want a shave equivalent to what I used to get, I can still just slather my face with bar soap and give it one pass down and get going.  What the DESR method gives me is the option for multiple passes without burn or ingrown hairs, resulting in a very close shave.  So, I go for that most times.  I go up, down, and then some side-to-side touch-ups which is not a full pass, just getting the few patches that orient differently.  The old cartridge & disposable blades would burn me and I would get ingrown hairs if I did an "up" pass. 

It is a case of, "I now have the capability to get a super-close shave and I take advantage of it."

Oh, I have the components to put together a home-mix of Proraso. I hope to duplicate it and to produce a "winter" formulation to help with the cold & dry months.  Will give updates on that later.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »
Update on Merkur Bakelite razor:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UIBXGE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't drop it in the shower, as bits will break off. 

I replaced it with a Merkur 34, same size but metal and fits in the plastic case.  It is a great short/small razor.  In the future, I would suggest buying the plastic travel case alone and then a Merkur 34 or similar size Merkur DESR.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton