Author Topic: Drove thru Oklahoma yesterday  (Read 2939 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Drove thru Oklahoma yesterday
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2020, 11:23:04 PM »
I did drive through Muskogee but I didn't stop.  Where you there?
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2020, 11:57:28 PM »
No a couple hours north
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2020, 03:20:42 AM »
Did you stop in Muskogee to see if I can come back?

:rofl: I'm sure there are places like that with me.  Trouble is I don't remember which.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2020, 08:57:30 AM »
Man, driving 1100 miles in one shot.  I couldn't do that when I was 39.  I tried to drive from Ft. Lauderdale Fl home to W. Michigan in one day.  I got to just north of Atlanta when the hallucinations started and I had to quit.  When we drive to Florida for the winter now, I do about 400 miles a day.  That's enough.

I'm still good with an all day drive but cannot stand driving overnight. 
The longest one shot drive I've ever done was Denver to just past Dayton which is just over 1200 miles.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2020, 09:34:26 AM »
Man, driving 1100 miles in one shot.  I couldn't do that when I was 39.  I tried to drive from Ft. Lauderdale Fl home to W. Michigan in one day.  I got to just north of Atlanta when the hallucinations started and I had to quit.  When we drive to Florida for the winter now, I do about 400 miles a day.  That's enough.

That's close to what  I do. 400-500 max per day. I've done much longer when young, but not anymore. I rather just pay 100 bucks for a hotel and take a breather. Plus I don't have to get up at zero dark thirty or drive till midnight that way (I', also one who doesn't like night driving anymore, partialyl due to degrading night vision).

I did do a straight through Idaho to Cali last year, and then got screwed. In Sacramento, some whacko was threatening to jump off a bridge, so they shut down both sides of the I-5 for like eight hours. I got there around 30 minutes after they shut down, so no Google traffic warning to route me away. It took me two hours to get to the city street detour, which was packed with thousands of vehicles, so it took another two hours just to drive through Sacramento. Thirteen hour trip turned into around 18 hours.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2020, 10:14:05 AM »
Last year I did a non-stop from Spokane to Las Vegas (1200ish miles). I had forgotten how on trips like that about the only way to make them work is only stopping for gas (pee and eat gas station food or fast food drive through) and keep going. SWMBO has never done trips like that so we ended up stopping at rest stops, restaurants and any other time she felt like stopping. The trip ended up taking close to 21 hours and I will never do that again. From now on it is 8-10 hours on the road and then stop for the night. Seeing how I will now be dragging a 39ft 5th wheel I doubt 8 hours will amount to much over 400 miles, if even that.

bob

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2020, 10:45:06 AM »
I did 1000 miles when I was 19 from Milwaukee to Destin Florida a few times. And yeah, the migraines and hallucinations that kicked in around mile 900 were fun.  :P
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2020, 10:57:38 AM »
Last year I did a non-stop from Spokane to Las Vegas (1200ish miles). I had forgotten how on trips like that about the only way to make them work is only stopping for gas (pee and eat gas station food or fast food drive through) and keep going. SWMBO has never done trips like that so we ended up stopping at rest stops, restaurants and any other time she felt like stopping.

While  I generally don't stop at sit-down restaurants on "travel as far as I can" days*, I do find I feel a lot better if I stop every couple of hours to get out and stretch and walk for 15 minutes or so. Many a post on APS has been made while I was walking around a rest area. :)

Which is another reason I like DON'T travel as far as I can days. I can stop for lunch at cool holes in the wall, historical landmarks, etc. It means I might take ten hours to do a seven to eight hour distance, but it's a pleasant ten hours.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2020, 11:04:20 AM »
I surprisingly did not have any problems with headaches, hallucinations, or nodding-off the last 100 miles. (I was worried about last half of the stretch from Des Moines to Albert Lee.)  Glad to find out I can still do it, but I don't wanna do it again.  I much preferring stopping at historical markers, taking an occasional back road or scenic drive, and stuff like that.  But I don't know how safe it is to stay in a motel right now; that was my motivation for long-hauling it.
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2020, 11:17:10 AM »
SWMBO and I did a 10-hr drive during the Christmas break. Well, I did a 10 hr drive, she did a 6 hr nap interspersed with chatty moments and occasional potty breaks. Long drives not only don't bother me, I find they're actually kinda therapeutic in a Zen sorta way. I don't get in any big rush, always have music and audio books going, and like to see the scenery. Since we both have bladders like 10 year olds, taking regular stops to stretch and catch a breath is not an issue at all. That being said, 8-10 hours is about the limit of what we prefer. Fortunately that gets us to most of the places we like to visit without undue overnight stops along the way.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2020, 11:20:48 AM »

17 hours and 1230 miles is my most recent one day shot. I was going to stop 2/3 of the way but I was about 100 miles shy of 2/3 getting gas, the day was young and I said hey, I can get there in time for the races tonight. I did. A 72mph average is hard to maintain with necessary stops, but somebody's got to do it.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2020, 11:50:21 AM »
Long drives not only don't bother me, I find they're actually kinda therapeutic in a Zen sorta way. I don't get in any big rush, always have music and audio books going, and like to see the scenery.

I do like long drives for those reasons as well. Except when there is any city driving involved. I HATE driving in traffic. When I was taking all my trips out of CA, The whole first day always sucked because it takes that long to get out of the state, and you have to drive through areas of big city traffic to do it. When I was doing my Idaho real estate searches, my blood pressure noticeably dropped when I got 10 minutes past Sacramento, where the traffic dropped by 75%. Around one hour of big city driving = ten hours on the open road for me.  :laugh:

grampster

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2020, 12:53:43 PM »
Our winter trek to Florida starts a couple days after Christmas and back on April 1.  We leave when it gets light and quit about 4PM or so going down.  Coming home, maybe 9-4 or 5.  We can do 400+ miles in that time span.  Spend 3 nights on the road.  We also drive the old state hiways and county roads...no freeways except a little 30 mi patch of I-185 between LaGrange, Ga and Columbus, Ga.  Very little traffic on that interstate for some reason.  The whole drive is scenic and pleasant.  Many times we'll be the only car on the road for pretty long periods of time.   A lot of even county roads are divided boulevards.  You can drive along 65 or so with no trouble.  Most of the roads skirt towns and there aren't many big towns anyway along the route I figured out.  

The most recent longest trip lately was from home to just north of Chattanooga about 10 years ago, I was around 65 then.  That's about 700 miles.  That jaunt changed my view of how to do that trip to and from Florida.  We used to drive and stop wherever when I got tired.  One year we ran into a problem finding a motel with vacancies.  So now I plot the trip and get reservations ahead of time.  I used to get really cheap rooms at Holiday Inn on my state government ID.  No longer.  Choice Hotels are the best value nowadays.  Nice, clean, comfortable rooms and beds and rates around 60-70 bucks.

The sad part is I don't have to plot my trip to stop in Thomasville, Ga to see Art Eatman for lunch as he just passed away. =(
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw