Author Topic: Anybody know OTRS?  (Read 1162 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Anybody know OTRS?
« on: August 26, 2007, 04:50:19 AM »
OTRS ( Open source Ticket Request System ) is the choice of my new employer for trouble tickets, so we are in the initial stages of setting the thing up. I've successfully gotten a copy running at home on a virtual server, but the documentation on setting up groups, companies and the like is scanty.  Anybody here know the freaking thing?  Oh, this is the Windows version, not Linux or Unix.

Oh, how I wish my former employer had chosen to market HIS inhouse ticketing system.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
Re: Anybody know OTRS?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 03:28:51 PM »
A perl webapp on windows?  Oh, I'm so so sorry.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 04:42:04 PM »
Have you considered installing cygwin on your machine, downloading the source code, recompiling it, and running it under cygwin?

I have gotten many a perl app designed to run on unix/linux to run on windows that way with fine results. 

Either way, good luck.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 06:08:53 PM »
What ever happened to RT?  is it still around and any good?

I'll have to do one of these at my next job.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
I've got the Windows port of RT installed on a virtual machine here.  OTRS feels like a more developed product from the user interface and its ability to talk to the standard Windows stuff like Exchange and AD, though from what I can see both use the same basic scheme of MySQL, Apache and Perl.  The Exchange connection was not that difficult puzzle out once I remembered that the IP of the VM it is running on was NOT permited connections outside the firewall.  Playing with the LDAP connection today was more problematic since I was doing it on the "Test/Production" box at work and I don't have Admin rights on that DC and so can't see that side of the interaction.

I miss having Admin rights in a domain.   sad
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 04:23:35 AM »
But, hey, they have implemented "security."  Who cares if it is so locked down they can't get anything else done...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 09:32:42 AM »
Well, I now know that admin password since the Admin told it to me.  Sorta defeats the purpose of NOT putting me into any of the Administrator groups....   rolleyes

Even more fun, while working on getting this joke of a ticketing system running with AD, Apache decides to hose itself and now will not load.  No Apache => no web service => no trouble ticket system.  Guess its a good thing I'm using MY test environment rather than the actual production servers as my employer would have me do.

I think I'll go have a beer while I wait for my backups to restore.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 04:16:57 PM »
OTRS ( Open source Ticket Request System ) is the choice of my new employer for trouble tickets, so we are in the initial stages of setting the thing up. I've successfully gotten a copy running at home on a virtual server, but the documentation on setting up groups, companies and the like is scanty.  Anybody here know the freaking thing?  Oh, this is the Windows version, not Linux or Unix.

Oh, how I wish my former employer had chosen to market HIS inhouse ticketing system.

I heard mixed reviews.  I swear, you'd be better off making some simple web form with an SQL backend. 

I previously used Remedy back at DISA.  Hideously expensive.  We use Kaseya at our current company.  Moderately priced, and we bought it moreso for the patch management than the ticketing system built in.  Ticketing works well, tho.  And yes, it is nice being root/domain admin.    grin

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.