Author Topic: We're doomed  (Read 14519 times)

Paddy

We're doomed
« on: October 26, 2007, 05:45:53 AM »
Oil at all time high

Dollar at all time low

The evironment is irreversibly damaged   (although I do agree with the 'unsustainable rate of consumption' argument)

and Humanity's very survival is at risk

and some other stuff.  The national debt is at an all time high, we're about to attack Iran, and maybe entering another cold war with Russia.

What's on sale at Walmart this week?

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: We're doomed
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 06:07:58 AM »
It's a beautiful fall day here, the trees are shades of gold, crimson and flame orange, there's faint woodsmoke in the air under a crystal-clear blue sky, it's 60 degrees, and I'm eating a delicious locally-grown heirloom apple while mixing soundtracks.

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 06:18:57 AM »
Paging the 1970s...

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 06:25:34 AM »
>>Oil at all time high<<

So lets get those alternative energies going your Gouvernor is talking about so much. It wouldn't hurt to let drown some of the people who deserve nothing
but are sitting on an oilwell in their own natural resources = polluting filth !

>>Dollar at all time low<<

Compared to what, the artificial Euro, existing already for 6 years ?
the Yen, Rubels, Kopteks, Coconuts, shells, clams or glasperls we all like so much ? Let the money lenders do what they want and be happy to still be living in the strongest economy in the world.  

>>The evironment is irreversibly damaged<<

Tough luck, but there is till plenty of it left and who needs the 32 kinds of fruitflies which are going extinct every year any way ? Let's be happy about what we still have, preserve  it and look for clean and green new planets.  

>> Humanity's very survival is at risk <<

says the UN.

>> we're about to attack Iran <<

Well, just do it, finish it and then get out of it !
People who publicly hang two boys of nineteen next to each other for having engaged in homosexual activities, well I guess I'll miss the 32 kind of fruitflies
more.

>> What's on sale at Walmart this week? <<

What's Walmart ?

Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 06:34:53 AM »
What's Walmart ?

Your equivalent would be Carrefour, but at Wal-Mart, every single item is cheap plastic garbage made in China, and the food items are all things made of hydrogenated oils and high-fructose corn syrup, all of it sold under the antiseptic glare of fluorescent lights. Very lowbrow and very large chain. Tr?s gauche. They used to actually have good deals on ammo, all I went there for, but not anymore.

Target is the more upscale version, different company, more attractive stores.

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 06:42:34 AM »
Can't say I disagree with any of that Laurent.

Walmart is the world's biggest retailer, founded by Sam Walton.  While Sam was alive, the store's motto was 'proudly made in the U.S.A' IOW, they only sold stuff made by Americans.  Then Sam took the big dirt nap, and the multibillion dollar business went to his progeny.  Now Walmart is the world's biggest importer of cheap Chinese crap.  Almost everything in the store is made is some third world country under slaveshop conditions.  Now their motto is "Always Low Prices. Always"

Walmart is constantly expanding and adding stores in small towns.  They bully their way in (legal manuevering and payoffs to locals), build the store and undercut everyone else until all the competition goes out of business.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 06:51:11 AM »

Walmart is constantly expanding and adding stores in small towns.  They bully their way in (legal manuevering and payoffs to locals), build the store and undercut everyone else until all the competition goes out of business.

The insanity of walmart is the numbers of stores.  Somewhere like here, there is a large population base and lots of competition. 
But where my Dad lives, its a string of smaller towns.  The biggest population is on base (MCAS Cherry Point).  There is a Super Walmart 20 miles West in Newbern, and 15 miles east in Morehead city. 
My dad's town has alot of boarded up store fronts, but seems to be slowly getting better.  Lots of small family owned businesses.  Wal-Mart is almost complete building thier new store in town.  So in a 40 mile stretch there will be 3 Super Walmarts.  This is an area where there is no "upper class".  Most business owners turn over a good middle class living, but its not an expenisve area to live.  I fear Walmart will be very harmful to my old town.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 06:53:15 AM »
Yes, it will. Part of Wal-Mart's strategy, well-known now, is to have their people go to local businesses like hardware stores and make note of the prices on common items. Then, when that wal-mart outlet opens, it undercuts the prices on all those items until the competing mom-and-pops fold, considering it a sort of loss leader.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 07:14:29 AM »
but at Wal-Mart, every single item is cheap plastic garbage made in China, and the food items are all things made of hydrogenated oils and high-fructose corn syrup, all of it sold under the antiseptic glare of fluorescent lights.

No more Chinese made crap than any other chain...  I read labels and have problems with "Made in China" everywhere I go.  At least at Wal-Mart, you get the price break commiserate with MiC.  Also, our Wal-Mart uses natural lighting and has the fluorescents turn on and off based on need.  I've watched them turn on, then back off again when a large dark cloud obscured the sun.  As for the food, how do they make fruits and vegetables out of hydrogenated oils and high-fructose corn syrup?  What about fresh meats?  The canned and frozen foods are the same ones available at the area grocery stores.  Or does WM inject those products with processed fats and sugars just to make us all fat so we'll have to buy more made in china elastic waistband pants? Wink

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 07:19:14 AM »
Just in terms of food their buyers choose to sell at the stores, (or perhaps it's what the target market wants), it's just that what I'd seen for sale at one had a much higher ratio of "cheap carbs and fats" products to healthier alternatives. My local supermarkets, Shaws and Hannaford Bros, are just the opposite. Pallets of those awful brightly colored corn syrup drinks in tiny plastic barrel-shaped things for kids in the lead aisle, piles of corndogs in the first visible freezer case, 10-for-$1 ramen, that sort. It could be that that's what their target demographic is buying, who knows.

And for produce, the stuff they had there was just sad. It looked downright ill.

As for "made in China", I was sort of amused what China's done to themselves in terms of consumer confidence. My local Asian market now only has things made in Japan, Korea, Singapore and Thailand. No China. Even the clerk said "No China! No sick customers!"  grin

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 07:23:26 AM »
If I buy produce, it's at a supermarket. If I buy frozen pizzas, milk, eggs, etc,. it's generally at Wally World.

Of course, my local Schnuck's markets don't want my business. Wal-mart welcomes me, and I can buy ammo or a boomstick at the same time as I buy my breakfast...

Blog under construction

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 07:52:49 AM »
Oil at all time high

Dollar at all time low

The evironment is irreversibly damaged   (although I do agree with the 'unsustainable rate of consumption' argument)

and Humanity's very survival is at risk

and some other stuff.  The national debt is at an all time high, we're about to attack Iran, and maybe entering another cold war with Russia.

What's on sale at Walmart this week?

I love the sound of doom and gloom in the morning.  cheesy

Fairly nice day here, just got out of a couple particularly enjoyable classes this morning (professor was funnier than normal, and he's usually a blast), had a simple lunch, and am looking forward to band rehearsal this afternoon.

What doom and gloom? Wink
Andy

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 08:17:28 AM »
Can't say I disagree with any of that Laurent.

Walmart is the world's biggest retailer, founded by Sam Walton.  While Sam was alive, the store's motto was 'proudly made in the U.S.A'...Now their motto is "Always Low Prices. Always"
I thought their motto was, "We put the 'sweat' in 'dirty east-asian sweat shop.'"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 08:26:24 AM »
It is a beautiful sunny day in SoCal. It will probably be 80F by noon. Bought me a rifle yesterday. Business is good. Life is great! I feel like a ton of gold.

Don't allow leftist doomsayers to pull you into their downspiral of hate, guilt, pessimism, and malaise. I saw a bumper sticker reading literally: "Work hard, live well - make a liberal mad!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 09:08:16 AM »
Walmarts in Billings buy their eggs from a Hutterite Colony down the road from us.  undecided
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 09:13:32 AM »
Yep,

Statistics show that 100% of all the people who have ever lived are either dead or will die.

And I'm stuck at home doing the laundry today.....(Anybody wanna guess how many outfits/clothes a 14 year girl wears in a week Huh???  Answer:  All of them !!!!)   

Three loads down, four to go....

On the plus side a little over two weeks until deer camp !!!!!  grin grin grin grin

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 10:12:10 AM »
One of my favorite quotes...

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains a popular passtime."

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 10:14:19 AM »
What is it the Chinese say?

May you live in interesting times...

I don't think times are nearly as interesting as the doom prophets in Riley's post predict but just in case...
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 10:33:03 AM »
Wal Mart does nothing that no other business doesn't do, it just does it better in the context of delivering lower prices due to its superior technology and infrastructure.

I think it's really funny that people can praise Target, where everything on the shelf is also Made in China, and bash Wal Mart.

I also love how people can say it kills small businesses when I can drive down the road Wal Mart is on and see literally dozens of small businesses that have been there for years, not to mention the eight or so on the outlying lots of the property my local Wal Mart sits on.

Here's a clip from the most objective look at Wal Mart I've ever seen, addressing the good and bad.  The full episode even features the guy who made that Walmart Is Eeeeevil! movie to make a quick buck from suckers, but I like this clip because it shows the primary motivation behind those who criticize Wal Mart: a need to feel superior to other people.   Warning: language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KrjQqIXHdU

It's just a business folks.  Wal Mart isn't the disease, it's the symptom.  Someone has to be the #1 retailer, and if it were someone else you'd be saying the same crap about them.  While it would certainly be quaint to have little villages full of nothing but cottage industries, that's not economically viable any more.  It's the same as large scale commercial farming replacing small scale farming.

Anyway, yeah, we're doomed.  Always have been.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 11:05:42 AM »
I think it's really funny that people can praise Target, where everything on the shelf is also Made in China, and bash Wal Mart.

Probably because the shopping experience in Target is more pleasant. It's quieter, the furnishings and the like are a little more quality than "one step beyond cardboard", and the checkout lines are efficient, as opposed to wal-mart's third-world queues.

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 11:28:33 AM »
Probably because the shopping experience in Target is more pleasant. It's quieter, the furnishings and the like are a little more quality than "one step beyond cardboard", and the checkout lines are efficient, as opposed to wal-mart's third-world queues.

A lot of this depends on individual stores and regions.

My store for example, well it's a Wal Mart make no mistake so don't expect a miracle, but the rank and file worker bees are college students.  Most of us are grossly underemployed.  I know I am worth more than I get paid here, but working here is the opportunity cost of getting that MBA I want so much.  A lot of my coworkers graduate college a couple years ago and just can't find a job in their field, and some have a useless degree like Psychology.  A lot of them are going to the community college or are trying to find a way to go to a technical school.  A couple of them are people like our own RileyMC who actually have pretty extensive white collar careers but fell out of them for whatever reason and realize that $8 an hour > $0 an hour.  Our checkouts average something close to 450 items per hour (Lowe's next door is like three hundred or less).  There are stores that do a little bit better, and there are stores that do a lot worse.

That's not saying our store is great.  I have no idea what the difference is between most of our wares, I can't tell you how to take care of the live fish we sell for example, and I will tell customers straight up when I do not know something, or if something we sell is garbage.  However, I also sincerely believe people come here because they want a cheap piece of Chinese crap jigsaw or whatever they're only going to use once and then never touch again and know what they are getting into.  Most of my coworkers can manage a complete sentence and our store generally performs well, our customers seem to rate us highly too.

My aunt, who's assistant manager of a Wal Mart in another state and a career Wal Mart employee, works at a store where the typical employee probably barely has a GED and the cart pushers are all convicted felons.  That store is a mess and it's everything she can do to keep it standing.  However, since it's generally easier to improve a really bad store than to ramp up a generally good one (firing the right people helps), it's a good opportunity for her to get some raises.

Another problem is that if you have a store in a place no salaried manager wants to live for whatever reason (I live in a fairly pleasant Texas municipality of about 100,000), your store manager changes every 3 years or less.  I've worked at one store where that was the case because everyone wanted to move on to a bigger store with bigger profits (the manager's bonuses and pay were tied to profits and larger stores in bigger cities typically do better).  I don't think Wal Mart pays its managers that way, though, but a lot of people want to work and live somewhere else regardless.  When that changing of the guard happens, the people who get lost in the shuffle tend to be the most experienced as the incompetent new manager promotes his own toadies up to replace them.

Wal Mart is in no way unique though, all big box retailers are like this.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 02:14:54 PM »
Someone start a thread. 

Spot the product in WalMart NOT made in China. 

The point will be quickly made.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Paddy

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 02:19:26 PM »

The American dollars in the cash registers.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 02:40:42 PM »
Someone start a thread. 
The point will be quickly made.

Play that game in any large chain operation. 

Chris

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 04:22:05 PM »

Remington and Winchester ammo in the Sporting Goods section !!!!

What do I win Huh???

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.