Author Topic: What Caliber for Vampires?  (Read 1948 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
What Caliber for Vampires?
« on: November 02, 2007, 05:04:34 PM »
We've had all the other "What caliber For..." threads here or at THR.  It is time to, uh, plant our stake in the ground and face this vexing question: What caliber for vampires?

The first task is to determine just which vampires we're interested in.  It seems that authors regard the traditional vampire lore as a buffet they can pick & choose from.

For instance, Anne Rice vampires (ARV) seem impervious to modern firearms and crucifixes.  IIRC, any injury done with mundane, non-vampire-specific weapon is instantly healed.  Steakley's Vampire$ (V$) also seem poor candidates for any sort of firearm, what with their lightning-quick reflexes, ability to run 80+mph, and propensity to soak up multiple .44mag rounds in the chest and keep up the 80mph pace. 

A more promising candidate would be Joss Wheadon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel (BVS) bitey folk.  They are vulnerable to the usual vampire-specific means of dispatch (wooden stake & beheading for instant kills, sunlight & holy water for cumulative damage) and can be damaged by mundane weaponry, though they are very tough critters.  They don't go DRT even from catastrophic wounds and wounds that would incapacitate a human sometimes only stun them for a bit, give them pain, and reduce their effectiveness.  They heal up rather quickly (days, weeks, months) from damage done by bludgeoning, cutting, and penetrating weapons.

Katherine Kurtz also wrote a couple vampire books with vampires that could be harmed with mundane weapons.

So, I think one of the conditions for a WCfV thread would be the vampires in question have to receive some sort of damage from mundane weaponry.

Going from large to small

Nukes
Nukes would do the trick.  If they are reduced to atoms, that is more than equivalent to beheading and the various radiation would likely have some sunlight-like effect.

Explosives
Delivered in any manner.  Whether it is a keg of black powder strapped to their buttocks & set off or a RPG going COM, I think blasting them to bits or chunks will satisfy the "beheading" requirement.  Large cannons would have a similar effect.

Large-caliber weaponry
I am thinking .50BMG & on up into the medium cannon category (12.7BMG-40mm cannon).  Something that has enough energy and creates enough hydrostatic shock to tear apart the vampire with a round or two would be good medicine.

Small Arms
Here, it gets more interesting.  The 9x19mm and 5.56mm are the favored rounds zombie dispatch, but I think they are ill-suited to a lead-slinging vampire killer.  IMO, the ability to do damage to COM and degrade a vampire's effectiveness puts the larger-caliber chamberings in play.  Also, vampires usually are not found in the large numbers of your typical zombie-apocalypse scenario.

For a shoulder weapon, I think a Tromix Saiga-12 conversion to a shorty (12-14" bbl) with a full buttstock, bayonet mount, and interchangeable chokes would be the bee's knees.  The ability to use 12ga slugs, relatively quick mag changes, and respectable melee effectiveness are all in its favor.  ESPECIALLY the 12ga slugs.

A .30-06 might be preferred for head shots at long range, but for house-clearing and  ranges under 100 yards the Saiga-12 would be preferred.

Non-concealed handguns would be dominated by the large-caliber revolvers, though the .454Casull & more powerful chamberings might be more penetrative than necessary.  I think the reasonable top-end would be .480 Ruger or .50AE (in DE or revo format).

Concealable handguns would be dominated by the 1911, IMO.  In .45ACP.45Super or maybe the .50GI, for kicks.  Others like the Glock 21 or Sig P220 would be serviceable, but not as concealable as ol' slabsides.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Re: What Caliber for Vampires?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 05:11:44 PM »
10 mm loaded HOT, with extra magazines, in a custom 1911 configurtation, or a s&w 1006 platform

.30'06 was exactly what I thought when I read the thread title, but after some thought, a Streetsweeper,  hand loaded with toothpicks and garlic
7-11 was a part time job.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 05:40:56 PM »
Crossbow with a wooden bolt?

Also, tranq gun with darts loaded with garlic oil and holy water.  grin

KALIFORNIST

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
7.62 nato and 12g with 000 for long guns.I would stay away from the large caliber revolvers due to harsh recoil and low capacity.I would give a high cap 45 the nod like the XD or a para ord just incase you have to engage multiples.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 07:13:17 PM »
Oh noes!!  My faith in jfru!!

Please tell me you didn't write that yourself, and have that much knowledge of "vampire lore."    Tongue

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 07:42:30 PM »
40mm grenade launcher loaded fragmentation ammo filled with blessed silver fletchettes.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 08:33:57 PM »
What we need here is a semiauto flare gun.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

The Viking

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 12:36:21 AM »
.50 caliber machinegun, loaded with Raufoss HEIAP.
More practical weapons should include a fully automatic crossbow and flamethrowers.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 03:36:28 AM »
doesn't matter so much in small arms caliber as it does in silver content of the bullet yer lobbing at said beastie.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 05:41:56 AM »
wooden flechettes

they need to penetrate but not sail right thru
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 05:26:18 PM »

Depends on the situation obviously.  If ya gotta clear a nest of 'em, you need four man teams.  Two to provide cover with just about any semiautomatics (Saiga 12's, AK's, AR's, whatever) for the closer.  Closer has whatever juice you're requiring for the kill.  Wood spear, crossbow, spike, whatever.  You want the closer to be highly armored.  Probably with mesh armor to prevent bites and such.  Lastly, you need a guy covering the rear.  I'd recommend a SAW.

If it's just you, then Saiga 12 alternating between normal loads and special loads (wooden sabot rounds soaked in garlic with a core silver penetrator probably).
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 08:28:23 AM »
If I am thinking a slug with a special payload, I am thinking a foster hollow-point slug made from pure lead with a capsule containing holy water in the hollow point.  So, when the toothy target types are serviced, they not only get a sug through their innards, the yget holy water sprayed through them.

I think my tactics might be something along the lines of:
1. Fill vamps with 12ga slugs until incapacitated
2. Hack off their head with a machete, sword, axe, whatever
3. Repeat as necessary

I must admit to being intrigued by the application of a SAW or any belt-fed.  I'm thinking maybe a 7.62mm shorty machine gun would serve quite well.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 08:33:30 AM »
Oh noes!!  My faith in jfru!!

Please tell me you didn't write that yourself, and have that much knowledge of "vampire lore."    Tongue

fistful:

I have read Bram Stoker's Dracula and a few other vamp books.  I also have watched a few vamp movies.  I might even admit to having played RPGs--deeandee--under threat of bodily injury.

I consider it akin to "Scary Movie" lore.  If you have any contact with the mass culture and have an IQ above room temp, you are going to notice this stuff.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 01:35:35 PM »
DEE-nide!

Just admit that you're a vampire geek.   police

txgho1911

• friends
  • sedition hammer
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 02:59:28 PM »
45-70 with hollow points with a silver/garlic mixed with holy water. Never wast time hacking and sawing. Decap with a final round when you knock em down long enough to catch up.
Wheres Larry with his expertise?
socialnewswatchDOTcom instead of Drudge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 03:24:09 PM »
If I am thinking a slug with a special payload, I am thinking a foster hollow-point slug made from pure lead with a capsule containing holy water in the hollow point.  So, when the toothy target types are serviced, they not only get a sug through their innards, the yget holy water sprayed through them.

I think my tactics might be something along the lines of:
1. Fill vamps with 12ga slugs until incapacitated
2. Hack off their head with a machete, sword, axe, whatever
3. Repeat as necessary

I must admit to being intrigued by the application of a SAW or any belt-fed.  I'm thinking maybe a 7.62mm shorty machine gun would serve quite well.

I wouldn't recommend water.  In a rifle or pistol JHP, definitely not.  Even in a 12 guage slug...  If the water is superheated and converted to steam, it'll burst the slug.  If this happens in the shotgun, bad things.  Sure, you could cut the powder loads in shells, but I dunno.  Risky unless you perfected some encapsulation method.   I'm not saying it's not a good idea, but you'd want to test the everloving excrement out of it first.

Manhandling a 12 guage and a sizeable edge weapon ain't easy, especially in close quarters.  Again, it'd take some experimenting to work out the kinks.  I still say for cleaning operations, you need a four man squad. 

A shorty 7.62 NATO MG is a bad idea for indoor application.  First off, it'll punch through the undead.  And the walls.  And Gods knows what else.  Less ammo.  Plus it is NOT as controllable as a 5.56 shorty MG.  The idea is suppression, not actually killing the bad guys.  Altho, with the rate of fire...  in an enclosed space, a SAW as just a semi 12 guage on a steady diet of PCP and LSD.  With better ballistics to boot. 

Fully extended - Yea, you have a lower velocity and thus shorter range, but good enough for suppression and grazing fire.
Compacted - See?  I'm not that big of a guy (6'2) and you can see how relatively compact it is for nest clearing.  Not that much larger than your Saiga 12's, and your shotguns cannot provide suppressive fire.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 07:03:17 PM »
RevDisk, please.  We're talking about Holy Water, here.  It's not gonna misbehave.  Silly pagan.   cheesy   angel

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 07:39:02 PM »
What if the ghastly undead decides to do a human... er... ghastly undead wave attack?

We need a 12 gauge buckshot minigun. Instant twitching ghastly undead hamburger, which one can bbq at one's leisure (right about dawn, I'd guess...).

But damn, that'd be an EVIL phalanx-type close-in weapon... 200 yards or less, but who cares...

Blog under construction

Strings

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2007, 11:15:28 PM »
Wow... y'all just now trying to figure this one out? Leave it to the RPG geek...

Wooden flechette type rounds won't work: you need to pierce the heart (and, in some cases, the heart needs to remain pierced). Silver is actually a werewolf thing: vamps pretty much ignore it...

What you want is a 12ga, but not with any standard load. Look up the Frankfort Arsenal Book of Improvised Weapons. They show a way of using a 12ga as a grenade launcher, with the grenade attached to a wooden dowel (and using a blank for propulsion). Leave the grenade off, and sharpen the end of the dowel, and you know have a "stake gun". You'ld want a break-open for the action: insert stake, insert blank, close...

Figure three O/Us: two cut down for "carry", and one left full size for longer shots...

Strings

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2007, 11:18:12 PM »
Oh... Bogie? My roomie has blueprints for a .22 gatling. Once he builds it (successfully), we're gonna scale them up for a 12ga...

We're thinking 2-man 100 bird flurry team... Cheesy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 05:12:49 AM »
How the hell did I miss this...

You clownfishes should know that bullets to kill vamipires.

It's also after Halloween.

You can revisit this in 11 months. 

In the meantime, I suggest debating which caliber for Santa Claus.  rolleyes
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.