Author Topic: Advice on a Mini-Lathe?  (Read 1328 times)

HankB

• friend
Advice on a Mini-Lathe?
« on: November 02, 2007, 06:39:51 PM »
OK, there's been one too many minor gunsmithing projects where a lathe would have been handy (such as making a special size aluminum pillar to pillar bed a 10/22) so I'm now contemplating purchase of a mini-lathe.

The biggest constraint - which I recognize will eliminate what any machinist would consider "serious" tools - is size and weight; to make a long story short, I need something one fit man can reasonably be expected to lift up and places on a sturdy workbench when used, and taken off and put away when done. I'd like something that will take parts up to about a foot long, be capable of all your typical lathe operations including threading, with decent accuracy.

It's not going to be a "production" lathe, but a hobbyist lathe - I figure something a bit more rigid and stable than the old "Unimat" machines.

Any suggestions?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

CAnnoneer

• friend
Re: Advice on a Mini-Lathe?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 07:46:02 PM »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 06:05:13 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 08:09:16 AM »
harbor freight
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

armchair warrior

• friends
  • QuickDraw on THR
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 04:45:44 PM »
I have a  SouthBend 9"w/48" bed,a bit more than pick up and put away. laugh
I have read very positive things about the small lathes that Harbor Freight,
Enco,etc,as they are all made by the same place in China.I'm thinking of getting
one myself for the same reasons as you.They often go on sale,so check out all the
usual places often.