Author Topic: When is a Yard Sale not a Yard Sale?  (Read 1395 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
When is a Yard Sale not a Yard Sale?
« on: November 05, 2007, 03:16:36 PM »
http://www.startribune.com/106/story/1526030.html
When is a yard sale not a yard sale?

Minnetonka plans to press charges against a 72-year-old woman for holding a garage sale in her mother's old house.

By Jenna Ross, Star Tribune

Last update: November 02, 2007  9:03 PM
Laura Soelberg's fall garage sale began much as it had for 19 years: Friends parked in the church lot next to her mother's Minnetonka house, greeted her with hugs and gifts, and began browsing.

But within half an hour, the authorities arrived to shut her down.

A police officer and two city workers ordered a halt to the Oct. 24 event, telling everyone to get out, shoppers said.

"It was almost like they were breaking up an underage party," said Laurel Elhart, a Minnetonka resident who had attended the sales for at least a dozen years.

Now Soelberg, 72, could face criminal charges -- and if convicted, up to 90 days in jail, a $1,000 fine and a year of probation.

The city considers Soelberg's yard sales a zoning violation, in part because, while the Deephaven resident owns the house, she does not live in it.

Soelberg looks upon her twice-a-year sales as a tradition she started with her mother in the 1980s and merely continued at her mother's home after her mother's death in the late '90s.

"I don't understand. This is such a minor, little thing," she said. "Everyone likes a garage sale."

Before each sale, which generally runs four days, Soelberg sends out reminder postcards to those who request them and gives the neighbors a heads up. Andy Martin, who lives next door, wrote a letter to the city in support of Soelberg, saying that his family is probably "the most impacted of anyone by her sale." But her events, in contrast to others he's seen in the city, are infrequent.

"Before you sanction her, you would need to sanction many others," Martin wrote.

Yvonne Brown, who has known Soelberg for 20 years, arrived two hours after the authorities did on Oct. 24 and found the few people still there "had stunned looks on their faces. It was like the Gestapo had just come and left," she said.

"I couldn't believe it. There are garage sales all over all the neighborhoods. Why this one?"

But the city has raised another question: Are Soelberg's events really garage sales?

In general, the city draws a legal distinction between a garage sale and a commercial venture, city planner Julie Wischnack said: "The difference is whether someone is utilizing the sale for an income-generating venture. Is it truly trying to get rid of items around the house? Or is it a commercial operation?"

Soelberg declined to say how much money her sales take in. "I don't really talk about that," she said. "I make enough to make it worthwhile."

But she denies that what she's doing is akin to operating a business. She holds the sales infrequently, sells second-hand goods that come mostly from her family's homes, does no advertising, collects no taxes and has no employees.

Her "friends/customers," as she calls them, have voiced support for her in letters and a petition. Elhart said most of the shoppers are acquaintances -- middle-aged and elderly women who have met at the sales over the years. And most were shocked by "the police invasion."It's odd that it's been going on for so long and now, all of a sudden, it's an issue," Elhart said.

But the Oct. 24 sale wasn't the first to garner the city's attention. At Soelberg's spring sale, which featured $2 perennials, the city issued her a citation and an invitation to Minnetonka's City Court.

Often, violations of city ordinances are handled through the City Court, "an alternative to the regular court system ... intended to be more informal and less intimidating to alleged violators," the city says on its website.

But "if that hasn't remedied the problem, the city will consider pressing criminal charges," said Rolf Stonheim, associate city attorney, who said it's a misdemeanor to violate the zoning code.

Wischnack, the city planner, confirmed that the city plans to press charges against Soelberg. But she said she could not comment on the case because it's under investigation.

Soelberg said after agreeing last spring to go to City Court, she was never called in.

That's why, when fall came around, she decided to hold her sale, as usual.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: When is a Yard Sale not a Yard Sale?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 03:38:01 PM »
They should have Tazer'd her.

"Ride the Lightning Grandma !!!"
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Paddy

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 03:47:32 PM »
But "if that hasn't remedied the problem, the city will consider pressing criminal charges," said Rolf Stonheim
What arrogance. Seig Heil!

This is exactly why people need to be involved with, and hold accountable, your local governments.  I'm hopeful that if something like this happened here, city hall would be overrun at the next council meeting.  The city council's phones would be ringing off the hook in the meantime.  angry

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 04:36:13 PM »
After living in Mn as long as I have, it was probably some uppity neighbor that complained to the cops about her sales. It's funny up here, there are neighbors that are truly bad neighbors and get away with almost anything and then there are folks like in the article. The ones doing the community a favor and get bushwhacked from someone that just has a problem with life.
My neighbors like to leave their dog out and let it run at large. I told them my displeasure last summer. They don't seem to care. This summer, again, the dog is in my yard, growling at me and running around the neighborhood, despite the various leash laws and animal control laws. I don't know if I could have legally shot & killed it. A case could be made in my favor.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

armchair warrior

• friends
  • QuickDraw on THR
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 05:54:59 AM »
I had some neighbors who were members of some wacky religious cult
that held "garage sales" about every 2 weeks.
They got old real quick.
They would start at about 7:00 AM Sat. and Sun.,people blocking my driveway,
parked in my driveway,in my yard. shocked
They were effectively running a business.
A couple of calls to the cops shut'em down. police
I personally like garage sales,but not every other weekend.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 06:30:30 AM »
How many of you send out reminder postcards before your yard sales?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 07:25:00 AM »
Doesn't look like there was any yard for sale.

False advertising.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 01:08:34 PM »
My neighbors like to leave their dog out and let it run at large. I told them my displeasure last summer. They don't seem to care. This summer, again, the dog is in my yard, growling at me and running around the neighborhood, despite the various leash laws and animal control laws. I don't know if I could have legally shot & killed it. A case could be made in my favor.

A longish barreled .22 with BB caps will end that problem quickly and quietly.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 01:15:04 PM »

A call to the local PD about a loose dog would probably be more polite and result in fewer charges against the shooter.

That said", I've entertained a fantasy or two about rat poison and hamburger.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 01:52:03 PM »

A call to the local PD about a loose dog would probably be more polite and result in fewer charges against the shooter.

That said", I've entertained a fantasy or two about rat poison and hamburger.

I've not had luck with calling the cops about loose dogs. And if you do it all sniper-y they'll never know it was you.  angel cheesy
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 02:18:02 PM »
Used to have a neighbor three houses down that was into the semi-annual monthly yard sale thing.  Wasn't real fond of the crowd but they usually did have better-than-average stuff, some of which ended up being my stuff.  And I have to admit being a bit smitten with their niece, who is about my age.  Unfortunately they moved and she got married.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 11:24:21 AM »
I'd bet she was turned in by some legit local store owner that didn't like her skirting the tax laws with her "Yard Sales".
Avoid cliches like the plague!