Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Curried Chickpea Stew

<< < (2/3) > >>

Fly320s:

--- Quote from: Ben on February 28, 2021, 08:37:26 AM ---This is another Epoch Times recipe I want to try. While I'm generally a meat eater, I'm not opposed to vegetarian meals and would like to actually eat more non-meat meals, but I always have trouble finding something vegetarian that both tastes good and is also filling.

--- End quote ---

Have you tried a basic rice and beans bowl?  That is our go-to veggie meal.  We make ours Tex-Mex style, but you could easily make it any way you want.  It is basically a taco bowl without the meat.  I find it very filling and satisfying.

Ben:

--- Quote from: Fly320s on February 28, 2021, 05:30:05 PM ---Have you tried a basic rice and beans bowl?  That is our go-to veggie meal.  We make ours Tex-Mex style, but you could easily make it any way you want.  It is basically a taco bowl without the meat.  I find it very filling and satisfying.

--- End quote ---

What is texmex style? Rice and beans itself is kinda bland to me, but I'd be up for spicing it up some.

Fly320s:

--- Quote from: Ben on February 28, 2021, 05:59:09 PM ---What is texmex style? Rice and beans itself is kinda bland to me, but I'd be up for spicing it up some.

--- End quote ---

Rice and beans is the base.  Use Mexican rice, from a box if you want, and seasoned beans. Top that with diced bell peppers, diced jalapeno, tomatoes, cilantro, cheese, salsa, sour cream, etc.  Basically, whatever you like in a burrito works here. 

For added flavor, cook the rice in a broth such as chicken stock, instead of water. Or veggie stock.  Stir in some cumin and other spices near the end if you are using white rice.

K Frame:
I got my garam masala from Penzy's a few months before they went all woke and insulting with the owner's little melt down about Trump voters. I sent them a message telling them to remove me from their mailing lists and I've not purchased anything from them since.

Good garam masala, though.

I figure next time I need some I'll visit one of the Indian or Pakistani grocery stores here in NoVa.

zxcvbob:
I had not heard of the Penzey's rant.  Thanks for the heads-up.  My wife and I buy a lot of spices from Penzey's; or at least we used to.  I guess we are not on his mailing list.  Won't be buying from them again. (but I'm not going to throw the spices out, they are already paid for)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version