Author Topic: Mexicans ignore gun control  (Read 1082 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Mexicans ignore gun control
« on: December 12, 2012, 12:13:48 AM »
http://reason.com/blog/2012/12/11/mexico-as-an-example-that-tighter-gun-co

This is the reality that gun controllers, the ignorant, sincere ones anyway; just will not face. Pass all the laws you want and nothing will change. Of course the authoritarian control freaks know this but want the laws to exist so they can use them to coerce people.

And people think some of our gun advocates are hardcore.... 

By the way, Alex LeBaron, the lawmaker quoted above, comes from a family descended from Mormon polygamists who fled to Mexico in the 19th century to escape American restrictions on their religion (the Romney family was included in that circle, for a while). Not only have LeBarons become Mexico's most visible gun-rights advocates, they're practitioners, too. Again, from NPR:

One night, in October 2009, a gunfight erupted between the LeBaron brothers and a squad from the Mexican army. The LeBarons claim the soldiers came to the front gate and did not identify themselves. Fearing they were kidnappers, Alex says, the family opened fire.

"In the middle of [the] dark, sometimes, it's better to shoot and ask questions later," he says.

One soldier was killed. One LeBaron brother and another farmer were charged with murder, but the judge ultimately dropped the charges because the evidence had been tampered with.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

longeyes

• friend
Re: Mexicans ignore gun control
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 01:25:34 PM »
How about today?  What percentage of Mexicans are armed?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 04:41:56 PM »
The article says the estimate is 15 mil firearms into a population of an estimated 112 mil. So a little over 10% but that seems low.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 04:52:31 PM »
I have heard Mexicans say if you want to buy a gun, go find a cop. 

However, I imagine they can only ignore it until either the cop wants more payoff or decides they don't like you anymore.  I don't like arbitrary situations.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 06:21:01 PM »
Oh, they still have gun control in Mexico...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/13/us/mexico-jailed-marine/index.html
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife