Author Topic: Discovery Cancels "American Guns" in Response to CT  (Read 3867 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Discovery Cancels "American Guns" in Response to CT
« on: December 17, 2012, 02:51:10 PM »
Discovery cancelled "American Guns", apparently primarily because of Facebook comments like, " Shows like this make people think guns and gunowners are normal". The distributors of the show handled it well, stating that Discovery has the right to air whatever they want. Again, calm and logic coming from the firearms side.

I was surprisingly pleased by Quentin Tarantino's comment that pointed at the individual, not movies or guns causing tragedies like these. Unlike other Hollywood reps who in the article said "It's not our movies, it's guns".

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/12/17/discovery-hit-american-guns-canceled-as-hollywood-wrestles-with-links-to-gun/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Discovery Cancels "American Guns" in Response to CT
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 03:11:47 PM »
I should also add, to immediately veer my own thread, I am very disappointed in FoxNews for its coverage thus far. I at least expect just a very little bit of unbiased reporting out of them, but they seem to be in witch hunt mode with their coverage just as much as MSNBC. Fox is just not as blatant about it in its headlines as MSNBC et. al. are, which is almost worse. "Hey, we just happen to have 18 stories on shootings running simultaneously right now, even though we haven't reported on that many shootings total in the last six months."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 03:24:48 PM »
“Quentin Tarantino seems to believe he is magically disconnected from the human race. Somehow everything he creates has no impact on us? He’s not the only director or movie producer who denies any negative effect from their work,” scoffed documentary producer Nicole Clark, who also educates young children on the effects of the media. “But ask any of these producers or directors if they think films can have a positive effect on society, and they will instantly say yes."

You can bombard me with Quentin Tarantino movies all day, if I go out and commit a violent crime there is still only one person responsible for that act. 

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »
I should also add, to immediately veer my own thread, I am very disappointed in FoxNews for its coverage thus far. I at least expect just a very little bit of unbiased reporting out of them, but they seem to be in witch hunt mode with their coverage just as much as MSNBC. Fox is just not as blatant about it in its headlines as MSNBC et. al. are, which is almost worse. "Hey, we just happen to have 18 stories on shootings running simultaneously right now, even though we haven't reported on that many shootings total in the last six months."

This is what worries me...the utter tsunami of anti-gun rhetoric from all sides makes me believe that passage of an AWB is bloody likely.  My only question at this point is how bad will it be...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 04:07:20 PM »

Fox isn't so much conservative as it is the propaganda arm of the RNC. Just like MSNBC but for the other party.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 04:13:37 PM »
Fox isn't so much conservative as it is the propaganda arm of the RNC. Just like MSNBC but for the other party.
Fox is only seems to support the RNC because a) They don't blame Bush for, literally, everything bad that has happened, is happening, or will happen; and b) the other networks don't even pretend to be impartial any more.

And if the RNC were actually conservative, the Tea Party never would have been formed (no need for it) and Ron Paul wouldn't have gotten any traction at all.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 04:27:39 PM »

This.  They're preparing us for the GOP to roll over and be a good doggy when the Sandy Brook Memorial Firearms and Unicorn feathers act comes down the pike.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 11:57:33 AM »
Gunowners are normal.  Tarantino isn't.  He is a bad defender of responsible and wise gun ownership.  His is a world formulated by liberals who use gun fantasies to mesmerize and pacify the masses.  He stopped being a good filmmaker years ago, and his nose knows why.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 11:59:22 AM »
Rupert Murdoch is strongly anti-gun.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 12:52:31 PM »
I was watching O Reilly last night and he was really squirming.  He was trying to bad mouth EBR's but then he'd change his course and then go back against them.  His guest kept giving him facts to counter his argument.  He knew what he was supposed to say but was having trouble saying it.  He was calling an AR-15 an AR-47.  His guest corrected him on it, gently.  A bit later OReilly admitted he was an idiot on gun names.  He had a very good guest, crap, can't remember his name.  Guy wears a bow tie and has large glasses.  Very errudite.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 12:54:08 PM »
I was watching O Reilly last night and he was really squirming.  He was trying to bad mouth EBR's but then he'd change his course and then go back against them.  His guest kept giving him facts to counter his argument.  He knew what he was supposed to say but was having trouble saying it.  He was calling an AR-15 an AR-47.  His guest corrected him on it, gently.  A bit later OReilly admitted he was an idiot on gun names.  He had a very good guest, crap, can't remember his name.  Guy wears a bow tie and has large glasses.  Very errudite.

Alan Gottleib.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »
I was watching O Reilly last night and he was really squirming.  He was trying to bad mouth EBR's but then he'd change his course and then go back against them.  His guest kept giving him facts to counter his argument.  He knew what he was supposed to say but was having trouble saying it.  He was calling an AR-15 an AR-47.  His guest corrected him on it, gently.  A bit later OReilly admitted he was an idiot on gun names.  He had a very good guest, crap, can't remember his name.  Guy wears a bow tie and has large glasses.  Very errudite.

IIRC Alan Gottlieb, it was mentioned somewhere else on here.

ETA: Wrong Alan
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:58:49 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »
Yup, Alan Gottlieb, 2nd Amendment Foundation. O'Reilly was saying "AK-15".

castle key

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 01:58:12 PM »
Discovery is full of scumbags with regard to firearms.

A few years ago, at their headquarters in Silver Spring, MD, a crazy man, armed with BOMBS!!!!! went nuts.

The employees were saved by the Montgomery County SWAT team, putting this feral beast down, using....gasp.....firearms.

F Discovery
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 02:09:22 PM »
Lot of squishy wobblies on the Right coming out of the woodwork.  Dispiriting.  Well, we will learn who our friends are soon enough.

Here are few remarks from our old pal FerFAL on the subject from his Modern Survivalist site:

Turning your Kid into a Mass Killer

Posted by FerFAL on Dec 18, 2012 in Uncategorized | 1 comment
1)  Make sure he’s socially impaired from an early age. He should not play with neighbors, be challenged by pairs in any way that upsets him or participate in team sports of any kind. The less he interacts with children and other people in general, the better.
2)    Try spending as little time as possible with your son. You already did what is socially expected from you by having a kid, no sense in wasting any more of your spare time. After all, you work hard and deserve to relax and have a good time. You’re not supposed to have a life, have some fun? And lets be honest here, we all know you cant do that with a kid around.
3)    If you must stay at home along with your son for more than 5 minutes, TV, internet and video games are the best way to keep him off your back. Get him Black Ops Two, he’ll spend entire days killing terrorists and other nation enemies. Better yet, buy him his own TV and let him play in his room. Sign him up for World of Worldcraft or some other virtual alternative life. His real life sucks anyway, a virtual one where he rules a kingdom of elves and slays anyone that opposes him might be good for him. That way you’ll never be bothered by him and you can watch Oprah on the living room undisturbed. Next week she’s presenting a book on parenting. You definitely want to watch that one!
4)    You don’t want your son to grow up being a religious weirdo or pedophile so the best you can do is bring him up in a home with no crazy religious stuff. Catholic churches are the worst since they are all child molesters, and you certainly don’t want you son receiving orders from the Pope through text messages (it does happen, all the time!). Christianity in general is a bad idea. Not killing, lying or stealing and loving one another? Not on your watch! A good atheist that doesn’t believe in a higher power and consequences for his actions on an after-life is much better.
5)    As your son grows older he might start avoiding sunlight, dressing in all black clothes and hanging posters of androgenous vampire rock stars who’s music sucks. Don’t worry. This is all very normal. You may be tempted to remove all that crap from your home, throw your kid in your truck and take him camping in the middle of winter so he both freezes his butt and mans up a little while spending some quality time with his old man. Restrain yourself from doing so.
6)    You might want to seek help at this point even though this is all very normal for a teenager. You weren’t that way, neither was I, but its still normal, nothing wrong with your bundle of joy. Your bundle of joy might be better served by a cocktail of Prozac and Ritalin. This will keep him happy (being happy is the most important thing in life after all) and will help him focus in school. Watching less TV and playing less WOW along with spending more time outdoors with other humans, even playing sports might help too, but popping pills is more practical and lets face it, its so much quieter in the house when he’s locked in his room instead.
7)    By now kids may be giving your son a hard time in school. This is of course other people’s fault as it always will be, so make sure you go to school and complain as much as you can. That’s what responsible and caring parents do after all, blame others for how poorly they are educating their kids. Remember to threaten to sue while you’re at it. Your son has every right to be the weirdest creep the world has ever seen. His classmates shouldn’t exclude him just because he doesn’t talk to anyone, wears more makeup than Lady Gaga and drinks chicken blood during lunch.
8)    At this point, try anything you can do to detach your son from the real world even further. He has no friends, hardly speaks to anyone including teachers and spends hours every day in a virtual alternate reality killing people. By now you’re either divorced or pretty close to it and hardly talk with any of your family members at all. No aunts, uncles, grandparents, nothing, your son has no family support. Thankfully he doesn’t believe in some silly God that cares about him either, how crazy would that be? Lets see, what else can we do to mess up this kid even more. How about spending some quality time discussing doom and gloom end of the world issues? You want to be prepared after all, and TV shows tell you that’s what real survivalists do, prepare for far-fetched, unrealistic scenarios that never happened before but look cool on TV. Hey, your son might dig that, he’s already detached from reality anyways.
9)    At this point you can teach your son how to shoot and leave several firearms lying around your medicated an mentally disturbed offspring. But don’t worry, if you don’t buy them and leave them unlocked for him to pick he can just go out there and just buy them illegally or steal them.
10) By the time you get the call about your son committing a heinous crime your work as a parent is done. Who would have thought that such a caring, loving person could do such a thing? But don’t worry, you have guns, videogames, survivalists and TV in general to blame. That’s clearly the reason why your son turned out that way.
FerFAL
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 02:44:31 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 02:53:50 PM »
It's not like the peak of American mass-murders was in the era of a traditional, well-behaved society where everyone wore ties or anything like that.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 03:14:28 PM »
Which America was that again...?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 04:01:22 PM »
It's not like the peak of American mass-murders was in the era of a traditional, well-behaved society where everyone wore ties or anything like that.

Stats?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 06:02:47 PM »
The corporatists are running scared.  Don't count on "business" to save RKBA.  

There is not going to be a cooler-heads, rational resolution of this any more than there's been of our fiscal situation or of that notorious event on November 6.  We are being governed by demogogues running herd over a mob.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 07:30:37 PM »
American Chopper was also cancelled...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 08:24:51 PM »
American Chopper?  You mean pursuant to Sandy Hook? 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 09:54:10 PM »
Why would it have to be pursuant to Sandy Hook?

Several shows have been, or are in the process of, being cancelled. It happens all the time, across networks, thanks to the little Nielsen box on people's televisions.

Personally, I didn't like American Guns and the Wyatt Family, particularly collagen-and-silicone-enhanced Renee and giraffe-necked Paige, and felt that it would never keep ratings going to guarantee the show's survival. 

Likewise, Sons of Guns didn't get the axe, nor did Ted Nugent's Gun Country.  Wouldn't those gun shows have also fallen victim to Sandy Hook backlash?  The antis love to vilify Uncle Ted, as we all know.

Discovery also killed Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 10:19:36 PM »

:'(

(Although, I'll admit it's been a while since I've watched it. There are only so many dirty jobs out there, and after a while it was pretty much just minor variations on similar themes).
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 11:32:05 PM »
Discovery cancelled AG because it wasn't getting the ratings....this way, Discovery can sound PC, too....

....any word on SONS OF GUNS?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 11:55:45 PM »
Why would it have to be pursuant to Sandy Hook?

Several shows have been, or are in the process of, being cancelled. It happens all the time, across networks, thanks to the little Nielsen box on people's televisions.

Personally, I didn't like American Guns and the Wyatt Family, particularly collagen-and-silicone-enhanced Renee and giraffe-necked Paige, and felt that it would never keep ratings going to guarantee the show's survival. 

Likewise, Sons of Guns didn't get the axe, nor did Ted Nugent's Gun Country.  Wouldn't those gun shows have also fallen victim to Sandy Hook backlash?  The antis love to vilify Uncle Ted, as we all know.

That's why i was asking.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.