Author Topic: Michigan Governor Vetoes CCW Legislation?  (Read 1434 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Michigan Governor Vetoes CCW Legislation?
« on: December 18, 2012, 06:53:53 PM »
Anyone know what this is about? Foxnews posted the link below, but it goes to page not found.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/18/michigan-governor-veteos-gun-legislation/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Re: Michigan Governor Vetoes CCW Legislation?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:04:58 PM »
This was legislation that would have eliminated most PFZs, with an additional training requirement. It was not ideal, but it was a move in the right direction. Since we got shall issue, we have been slowly loosening restrictions and getting rid of some of the more onerous requirements.

We currently have a Republican governor and a Republican legislature, so this seemed like our best chance. The "controversial" part of the bill would have allowed lawful carry in schools, which is probably what prompted the veto.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 08:23:15 PM »
This is the penumbra effect we need to watch out for, something the political crowd specializes in.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:40:08 AM »
The irony is that one may open carry in all the places, especially schools, that are so called Gun Free Zones in Michigan.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 10:45:51 AM »
unpossible...aren't schools Federal gun-free zones?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 10:48:15 AM »

Didn't stop that one district in Texas from arming teachers
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 12:33:13 PM »

Not if you have a state issued permit.

Besides, I have yet to see the feds in my state patrol schools.  GFSZ charges are usually tacked on to other charges.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 01:12:27 AM »
Not if you have a state issued permit.

Citation needed? The feds maintain that pot is illegal even if you have a state-issued dispensary or growers' license. Are guns somehow different? Is there actually language in the GFSZ act that creates exceptions for permit holders?

It would be good news if so; I just don't believe it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 01:26:31 AM »
Citation needed? The feds maintain that pot is illegal even if you have a state-issued dispensary or growers' license. Are guns somehow different? Is there actually language in the GFSZ act that creates exceptions for permit holders?

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

Quote from: Section (q)(2)
(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
(iii) that is—
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

So, you can have a gun on the school grounds if: You have a firearms license issued by the state, or it's part of a school approved program ("Armed Teachers for Safe Students!(tm)"), or if it's part of a contract entered in by you or your employer with the school.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 01:37:11 AM »
Is there actually language in the GFSZ act that creates exceptions for permit holders?

The law allows for permit holders to carry in school zones, but not all states allow permit holders to carry in a school zone, or may have specific guidelines for permit holders.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990  
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it