Author Topic: Obama demands 'concrete proposals' on gun violence by January  (Read 2650 times)

Frank Castle

• friend
Obama demands 'concrete proposals' on gun violence by January
« on: December 19, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »
Obama demands 'concrete proposals' on gun violence by January

Let that games begin. :facepalm:

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/19/16020864-obama-demands-concrete-proposals-on-gun-violence-by-january

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Obama demands 'concrete proposals' on gun violence by January
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 01:41:36 PM »
President demands someone else do some work. Boy, does that sound familiar...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »
I have some proposals for him, but he won't like them  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 01:58:52 PM »
I have some proposals for him, but he won't like them 

Do any involve acts that are physically or anatomically impossible? :)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 03:33:05 PM »
I dunno.

Does he do yoga?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 03:34:19 PM »
The real assault weapons are in human form and live in Washington DC.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 05:42:55 PM »
I have some proposals for him, but he won't like them

Do they involve concrete?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 06:55:13 PM »
Should be easy to accomplish.  Just whistle up a half dozen anti-gun orgs and ask for a PDF dump, merge all files and presto chango we have a comprehensive solution to the gun problem.  The perfect solution except for just a few irritating issues remaining undiscussed:  mental health, involuntary commitment for dangerous people, civil liberty questions, the role of psycho active drugs, obsessive use of violent video games, media violence, and government sponsored and operated false flags operations (e.g. Fast and Furious).  We'll have a few unexplored issues but THE problem will be solved.

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 07:48:03 PM »
Here's my concrete solution to gun violence.

Take all the criminals who engage in "gun violence" and their enablers that constantly try to disarm their next victims, and drop them in a solution of concrete. Ankle weights may be necessary, allow time for curing. Ta-da!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 07:53:07 PM »
Here's my concrete solution to gun violence.

Take all the criminals who engage in "gun violence" and their enablers that constantly try to disarm their next victims, and drop them in a solution of concrete. Ankle weights may be necessary, allow time for curing. Ta-da!

Now that's a constructive idea with some serious reinforcement.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 08:21:35 PM »
This will end up backfiring on Obama and the Left.  At least I hope it will.  People will start asking why we let the actions of one deranged individual make policy for tens of millions of law-biding Americans, why we should lose our rights because other people didn't do their jobs. And maybe they will start asking why the pall of silence over violence in the ghettos, inner cities, underclass?  They might even start asking why otherwise good middle-class folks are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on "assault weapons" to defend home and hearth and why it's not because they think Jack down the street might get drunk and disorderly some night?  I predict there will be a national conversation all right, but it won't go quite the way The Left thinks.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Dunning-Kruger

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 08:32:43 PM »
Trying to react in an artificially compressed timeframe, when the criminal investigation and real lessons learned, if any, will take months, is pure political folly.  Reacting in a factual vacuum to the unknown specific acts of an irrational youth with mental defect is never a sound basis for principled, reasoned legislation.

If DC wants to address what happened, then please wait until we know what in fact happened.  Beware the unk unk.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 08:46:35 PM »
Trying to react in an artificially compressed timeframe, when the criminal investigation and real lessons learned, if any, will take months, is pure political folly.  Reacting in a factual vacuum to the unknown specific acts of an irrational youth with mental defect is never a sound basis for principled, reasoned legislation.

If DC wants to address what happened, then please wait until we know what in fact happened.  Beware the unk unk.

But Mel Brooks nailed this one many years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTmfwklFM-M

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 09:03:59 PM »
They have zero interest in really dealing with the problem, only in positioning themselves to gain electorally.  I think we all know that.  The question is whether the American people are still smart enough to see the flummery and ambition and demagoguery.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 11:11:15 AM »

1. Nationwide "Constitutional Carry"

2. No Gun Free Zones, except secure facilities like jails
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 01:49:32 PM »
This will end up backfiring on Obama and the Left.  At least I hope it will.  People will start asking why we let the actions of one deranged individual make policy for tens of millions of law-biding Americans, why we should lose our rights because other people didn't do their jobs. And maybe they will start asking why the pall of silence over violence in the ghettos, inner cities, underclass?  They might even start asking why otherwise good middle-class folks are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on "assault weapons" to defend home and hearth and why it's not because they think Jack down the street might get drunk and disorderly some night?  I predict there will be a national conversation all right, but it won't go quite the way The Left thinks.

What you're describing is no different than what we had in 1994. It did backfire on Clinton and the Democrats, with the Republicans taking control of both the House and Senate for the first time in 40 years. That didn't change the fact that the AWB passed.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 01:56:47 PM »
What you're describing is no different than what we had in 1994. It did backfire on Clinton and the Democrats, with the Republicans taking control of both the House and Senate for the first time in 40 years. That didn't change the fact that the AWB passed.

I'm concerned that the political landscape has changed in such a way that if AWBII becomes law, we won't se the same backlash.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 01:57:58 PM »

This is one of the big problems. Yes it can "backfire" as it did after '94, but you're still stuck with the restrictive laws. I would be willing to bet that any AWB (or anything else) that might pass now will not have a sunset like the '94 ban. So though it may change the composition of Congress via voting, we'll be stuck with whatever restrictions they pass.

ETA because we posted at the same time, SAD makes a valid point as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 02:16:07 PM »
the good news is, that when Republicans are elected, they keep their campaign promises to roll back restrictive/unconstitutional legislation!
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 03:08:48 PM »
the good news is, that when Republicans are elected, they keep their campaign promises to roll back restrictive/unconstitutional legislation!
In much the same vein, we should all be relieved that John Boehner followed through on his 2010 election pledge to roll back spending to 2008 levels - just imagine the fiscal problems we'd have if he'd hadn't kept his word - why, we'd be in danger of going right over a fiscal cliff as soon as the end of this year if he hadn't kept his word!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 03:17:53 PM »
The people who value liberty enough will know what to do, and it won't be to allow their inalienable rights to be stolen from them or to permit themselves to be submerged in the "one nation" ruse.  We are two nations; we need to decide which one we belong to.  If we wish to be disarmed in what looks more and more everyday like a hostile nation inimical to our rights and certainly our ability to defend ourselves, that is up to us. 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 04:44:41 PM »
If you don't already, I really recommend following Sebastian and Bitter's www.pagunblog.com.

They are doing some very good analysis of the situation on the anti-gun side and have concluded that the most competent threat out there is Bloomberg as he has the money and credibility to push ideas.

That's relevent in this case because he has already come up with a list of restrictions the administration can put into effect via use of executive power, most quite legal (if not Constitutional in our eyes).

The President's stated plan is to avoid long debate and a commission to "study the issue" for 6 months and have its report shelved when the furor dies down.  He wants a list to trot out at the State of the Union address to try to beat-up the Republicans with, like the whole millionaire tax nonsense (this is as much putting them on the defensive as doing gun control) to have leverage to get laws passed.

It's a two prong approach.

I'm of the opinion we actually want them to come big, with the proposal they -really- want, not something we can live with like the '94 ban. Make them say they want no grandfathering and immediate sales stoppages.  Let them push for mandatory registration.  Make sure that they are driven by their extreme members, and talk about confiscation and criminalizing mere possession.  Make it clear to those who would "go along to get along", the Zumbo's and Fudd's, and the undecided Americans who want to "do something" but who know and trust their friends and neighbors who are gun owners, exactly what they are after.  Make them give their proposals teeth so our side will be energized and their side will look extremist.

If they try to soft-pedal, call them on it; if they propose a half-measure, point out it won't have any effect. Get the Ladd Everett's and japete's and baldr odinson's up in arms and protesting Occupy-style with dancing vaginas and the public threats of "death to gun owners" about being betrayed by their politicians. Turn the undecided's off and forever associate gun control with nut jobs, like trutherism and birtherism.  Make sure that in the future when it's brought up by a Pelosi or Schumer the public rolls their eyes, picturing foaming at the mouth crazies, not so-called reasonable moderates.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 01:14:53 PM »
This is one of the big problems. Yes it can "backfire" as it did after '94, but you're still stuck with the restrictive laws. I would be willing to bet that any AWB (or anything else) that might pass now will not have a sunset like the '94 ban. So though it may change the composition of Congress via voting, we'll be stuck with whatever restrictions they pass.

ETA because we posted at the same time, SAD makes a valid point as well.

And this is exactly why we are not going to avoid, finally, the real problem.  WE ARE TWO NATIONS NEVER TO BE UNITED AGAIN.  Any "unified solution" will end with our serfdom. 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.