Author Topic: Bicycles  (Read 7611 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Bicycles
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 07:32:24 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 05:28:19 AM »
Have you considered a used "touring bike"?  They're made for racks, baskets, fenders, etc.  Plus, you get appropriately low gearing for hills and loads.  They're based on road bikes, so they aren't going to support very fat tires, but most can accomodate tires upwards of 1.2-1.5".  Because they're designed to carry everything a person would need while riding a bike cross-country (I personally know folks who have ridden theirs across the US or large portions of it), they ride better loaded than a regular bike, the handling is more predictable, etc.

If you can swing the extra $400 or so, Surly sells their "Long Haul Trucker" frame built up as a complete bike for just under $1000, but I've seen them on sale for less than $900.  That's a helluva bargain considering the frame is about $400 alone (that's what I have).

You should be able to find other brands of touring bikes used on Craigslist, eBay, bike shops, etc.  Just do your research because some folks will call a bike a "touring bike" and it really isn't one.
Look for bikes such as the Trek 520, Surly Long Haul Trucker (aka LHT), Cannondale Touring 1 (and 2), etc.

Here's one from Bikesdirect for $599: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist.htm
The LHT from BD for $929: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/surly/longhaul.htm

Bikedirect's prices include shipping. 

Chris

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 09:00:28 AM »
Here's one from Bikesdirect for $599: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist.htm

Ok, very minor threadjack:  why the heck so many gears? 

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 09:07:49 AM »
1.  Because we can
2.  Maintain close spacing between gears while allowing for a wide range.  Close spacing is nice to help you find that "just right" gear and to avoid large differences in gearing that can throw off your pace.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 09:46:33 AM »
Most touring bikes, such as the Windsor, have lots of low gears.  The better to climb up mountain passes with a full set of loaded panniers.  I think a touring bike would be very on point for the OP.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2008, 09:49:10 AM »
I don't think their gearing is biased towards the low end any more than a mtb, just that that the number of gears allows for smaller steps between the very low and very high.

Chris

PTK

• friends
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2008, 10:03:09 AM »
Is there anywhere I can order a Breezer bike online?
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 10:12:56 AM »
no clue.  I've not seen them for sale online.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 10:44:11 AM »
I don't think their gearing is biased towards the low end any more than a mtb, just that that the number of gears allows for smaller steps between the very low and very high.

Chris

Almost all of the touring bikes I have seen have a front triple, so they do have more lower gears than your typical road bikes, like you and I own.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2008, 11:57:54 AM »
My perspective is mountain bikes, I forget that road bikes bias towards the high end.  My road bike has lower gearing via a mtb cluster. Smiley

Chris