Author Topic: Vacuum cleaner recommendation  (Read 7609 times)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: Vacuum cleaner recommendation
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 01:06:01 AM »
FWIW, refurbed Dyson balls are on Woot tonight.  $280

http://www.woot.com/

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 01:51:30 AM »
Refurbished Kirby's also available on Overstock.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 05:14:50 AM »
Hardwood.

[/suck]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 05:57:42 AM »
Hardwood.

[/suck]

Wood-grain linoleum throughout the house FTW.....

...a light electric sweeper-vac takes care of it all....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 07:49:59 AM »
Timely thread for us as we're shopping for a new vac.  We currently use a Hoover Windtunnel given to us as a wedding present (9yrs old now).  It works ok, but is showing its age after 9yrs of long-hair shedding women and 7yrs of shedding dog (shedding dog gone now, replaced with non-shedder).  We've been looking at Dysons, but the Kirby sounds interesting as well.

If you shop around, the price is a moot issue, so it comes down to performance, parts availability, and ease of use.  According to what I've read this morning, the Kirby vacs tend to go through belts, are hard to reconfigure for different uses, and heavy.  For you Kirby owners, what are your opinions on that?  Keep in mind we live in a 3 story townhouse, so ease of use on stairs and toting it up/down stairs is a huge factor for us.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2010, 08:14:17 AM »
Found this article on Kirby vs Dyson: http://www.greatvacs.com/page/KirbyVsDysonVacuumReview.html

Chris

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2010, 08:37:55 AM »
I notice he left off the "Best Profit Margin" test, the results of which would closely mirror the "Most Protected Marketing" test.   ;)

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

go_bang

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 10:37:30 AM »
If you shop around, the price is a moot issue, so it comes down to performance, parts availability, and ease of use.  According to what I've read this morning, the Kirby vacs tend to go through belts, are hard to reconfigure for different uses, and heavy.  For you Kirby owners, what are your opinions on that?  Keep in mind we live in a 3 story townhouse, so ease of use on stairs and toting it up/down stairs is a huge factor for us.

Chris

Kirbys can go through belts quickly if you tend to set the brushroll too low, but the belts are cheap and easy to replace.  I just checked Amazon and there are three venders selling 3-packs for around $4 and free shipping.  The best deal on bags that I've found is through Amazon as well.

As to Kirby's being heavy and hard to reconfigure, well yeah both points have some truth to them.  As you saw in the Kirby vs Dyson test the Kirby is a little heavier than the Dyson, and it's a good bit heavier than your run-of-the-mill Hoover or Eureka, but then that is to be expected considering how their built.  However, the only time the weight really becomes and issue for the Kirby is when you have to carry it somewhere, and even then the position of the carry handle makes the weight very manageable.  In actual use the weight is mostly a non-issue as the wheel rolls very smoothly and the power drive makes the Kirby easier to use over carpet than lighter vacuums that don't have such a drive system.  Reconfiguring a Kirby only really harder when you have to remove an attachment off the front of the motor or remove the bag from the back.  The reason for this is because the pieces that attach there are gasketed and fit very tightly.  The rest of the attachments are not harder to use than those for any other vacuum, with the exception of the parts for shampooing carpet or the floor polisher.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2010, 10:45:47 AM »
We've been very happy with our Riccar upright.

http://www.riccar.com/products/uprights/8900/?prod=8955

It sucks as much today as when it was new, 12 years ago.
Dog biscuits, dolly heads, washcloths, marbles (lots of marbles).
Get the attachment kit.
7-11 was a part time job.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2010, 11:15:13 AM »
the Kirby vacs tend to go through belts, are hard to reconfigure for different uses, and heavy.  For you Kirby owners, what are your opinions on that?  Keep in mind we live in a 3 story townhouse, so ease of use on stairs and toting it up/down stairs is a huge factor for us.

Chris

Belts.  Yes, Kirby's like belts.  The very old Kirby's were somewhat of a PITA to change belts on.  I don't know when the redesign happened, but my I can swap belts on my G3 in under 5 minutes.

Reconfiguration.  Not a problem.  I can have it switched from beater head to hose in under 20 seconds.  As for not carriying it's hose on board, well, all I can say is the Kirby will hands-down outperform every one of the vacuums I've used with an on-board hose.  Plus, most of the units I've used with on-board hoses suffer from hose retraction problems, the hose trying to accordian back into itself under vacuum.  That means you're constantly fighting the hose (on Kathy's Dyson the hose retraction is enough to pull the vacuum over. I've tipped it many times).  Poor performance and constantly fighting the hose are not worth the minor convenience of an on-board hose.

Heavy.  Yep, it’s heavy.  All cast metals and thick plastics.  It will also outlast and outperform those lightweights from mfgs more concerned with amps and ‘cyclone chambers’ rather than how well the unit cleans.  You mentioned stairs.  Low marks there because of weight.  You might do like Mom did.  She picked up a garage sale lightweight to use on the stairs.

Bag vs Bagless.  Sorry, but bagless sucks.  Period.  Sure, you don’t have to buy and replace bags.  But that doesn’t make up for the dust storm you suffer when you empty a bagless.  When you pull off a bag there is a bit of dust to deal with, sure.  But when you empty a bagless canister it’s a pretty accurate recreation of the Dust Bowl years.  It goes everywhere and settles on everything.  Mostly you.

Parts.  Retail vacs are made pretty much like everything else these days.  Disposable.  The unitized construction makes parts replacement a potentially pricey affair.  Replacement of a single part often means purchasing an entire assembly.  Those assemblies will can be pricey enough that wholesale replacement of the vacuum is a better long-term option.  It’s great for ease and speed of assembly during manufacture but that’s about it.

If I had a very small home or a ton of furniture, maneuverability or size would be a real issue and a smaller, lighter vac would definitely be a consideration.  In that case I’d probably be looking at something like an Oreck XL.  Otherwise I’ll stick with my full size Kirby because it cleans like a demon, is easily serviced, and as a brand they have a well-earned history of reliability and longevity.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:20:50 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 03:42:27 PM »
Dyson here too

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 05:01:27 PM »
I just use a big shopvac. It's also great for dragging out to the truck to vacuum it out.

Every conventional type vacuum we've brought has FAILED no matter how much money we've spent on them ($150, $200, $250...doesn't matter). For that kind of money, we could have been rolling with a Dyson, but well, once that money's down the drain, a shopvac was the reasonable and economical choice.

I do have to wear earpro when I vacuum, though...

That is what I used in my bachelor days, worked great for Labrador hair on carpeted steps. Wife is more civilized and uses an upright Bissell bag-less thing. I do get a every couple months favor of busting out the shop vac for the stairs and along the baseboards.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536